So overall, what do you guys think of the housing?

T

Trinilim

Putting aside the problems like mythic ignoring more important stuff, what do you guys really think of the housing?

Seems like a good idea to me.. at least for a little while.

I think it's gonna be really sought after in the first month or so it's out, then it's gonna just go dead, I mean, what does it really do?

You have a vault keeper? Well, according to the directions, it's right next to cam, so kinda pointless..

You can craft? Again, it's right by cam..

A place to 'hang out'? Are they attempting to make this game a 3d chatroom?

Overall, imo it'll be cool to test out, have guild meetings in, craft a bit, and overall have a cool sense of having your own 'place', but when it gets right down to it, I don't think the whole thing is worth it, but hey, at least it's something new eh :)

R

rure

the game cant worse with housing :p

it seems very very cool imho

G

Gaiea

You have a vault keeper?

You have a vault keeper - but one which has 100 slots. That's a serious expansion in vault space - well worthwhile I think.

You can craft? Again, it's right by cam..

Yeh - but everything will be right there - no running from forge to lathe to merchants, etc. No worry about being overburdened and not being able to run. You can buy, craft, and sell, all while sitting at the same spot. Pretty nifty in my book. Again, more than mere fluff - it's pretty useful.

AND with the introduction of an NPC selling your crafted stuff, that is very, very useful - waaay more than fluff.

A place to 'hang out'?
Don't let us forget, this is a roleplay game. People devote a fair amount of attention to the way their char is presented, from the colours they wear to the race they choose and the name they want. Housing just gives a whole lot more than that.
I seriously doubt if people would 'hang out' in their houses. It's more like housing, and all the things you can do to them, provides a number of goals for you in the game. Other than RvR realm ranks, and getting to lvl 50, there are no other really tangible goals in the game. Housing provides one. What simpler goal can one have than having the best damned looking house with the greatest gear and in the best spot in the realm? It's just as much an ego trip as getting to 50, or Realm Rank 9 or whatever.

This game is based around social interaction. Housing provides another mechanism for that. You have a dynamic market - the opportunity to see class and wealth divisions or 'neighbourhoods' appearing. You have the opportunity to WOW your friends, and take and publish pictures of your grand property. All this is a means of showing everyone 'I HAVE MADE IT' in this game. There is little tangible way of doing that at the moment other than wearing the most expensive dyes, having unique-looking armour and carrying weapons with groovey partical effects (not to mention the ever-present forum signature).

In short - after reading the press release, I reckon housing gets a thumbs-up from me.

But that's my opinion...
;)

H

hellraisermk2

Nice addition in the short term.

After a while, I think you'll find that not too many people actually bother making the trip to the housing zones. It's not like you can do much there: Decorate a house and craft come to mind.

With it being in a different zone, I can't see why guilds would use it as a meeting place either: Guild chat travels across zones, so why the need to all sit in the same room (and whats wrong with the buildings already in the zones).

There's room for some really nice additions to housing though, but I seriously doubt Mythic will ever get round to implimenting them (merchants to sell PC gear 24/7 would be somethng half decent).

As it stands, the fact that it is in a completely different zone with not much to do there other than craft, will pretty much make it a ghost town int he long room.

I want housing. I think the idea is a good one. I don't think the way it'll be implemented will be a success combined with the lack of functionality a house has.

I'd also like to beat someone else to it by being the first to say I'd rather they sorted out all the other bugs and imbalances first.

T

Treniel-

it'll be cool but unless housing is limited or GOA improove server its gona die...can u imagine the amount of NPCs etc? omg..be like 10 times as bad as cam

A

Aeiedil

imo its a good thing

one bonus is it sounded like (after reading the manual) that the houses can also have a few port npcs (to port keep/si/capital i think), and a bindstone, thus making the place a good place for making a central bindpoint for any char.

another is that merchants in your house sell stuff 25% cheaper, thus making crafting cheaper :)

tbh one of my favourite parts is the trophies, it lets those that like to pve something to aim for, to try to get all the trophies (ok probably not hard in all but a few cases, such as cuulduruch). kinda makes me wish i was on a pve server so i could get a house with all the dragons heads lined up in a row :D

the final thing is for the PR point of view. i currently tend to take over one of the houses in TNN as my own when i feel like it, but the one i had claimed has been taken over by the SC master :( i like being able to have a place to call your own :) ill certainly look forward to getting my own house :)

and about the vaults, the way i understood it its 100 slots per vault in addition to city vaults, if you were rich enough to have 4 vaults in a 4-tier house you would have 400 extra slots

oh and the crafting, id expect you still have to run between levels, afaik merchants are in basement and you can have 1 tool on each level of your house (if you could sit in the same place then it would make trade macroing easier)

R

Radghast

thoughts on cost? should it be easy to purchase a basic house and do it up to reasonable standards and leave the extravagant stuff to the super rich? or should all housing be very exspensive and require several ppl (guild) to pool their resources to afford 1?

have 2 say i prefer the latter

T

Trinilim

Wow, I didn't know half the stuff posted here, thanks for the info, makes it much better then :D

And as for the pricing, I'm pretty sure it goes something close to this:

Lvl 1: 10g, 1g rent hourly/every other hour

Lvl 2: 50g, 3g rent hourly/every other hour

Lvl 3: 100g, 5g rent hourly/every other hour

Lvl 4: 500g, 10g rent hourly/every other hour

It says on the descriptions that the mansion is by no means economically efficiant, and says 'Well worth your precious platinum however'.

Ofc, these are just guesses :)

F

fl_gorre

imho think its bad for every realms economy
and its gone create loads of "dick-size comparison" fights between guilds
who will have biggest mansion with the cewlest adds??
etc

on the other hand
a combination of portpad+vaultkeeper+SIporter+townporter+siegemerchand+woodmerchand+material merchands=UBER!
might be a good idea to unite every /as or even the entire realm in such a mansion

F

fl_gorre

owyeah and i might aswell delete my arms now :/
bah

B

bracken_woodman

Well I can't wait aslong as its not too overpriced :D

D

Draylor

Itll be interesting to see the pricing on these, all theyve said so far is itll be charged per RL week.

The NPCs to sell crafted gear could be very useful, but is someone really going to run round the housing zones hoping theres a crafters merchant somewhere with the items they want? And then run around some more to compare prices? Sounds like it could be a complete pain.

A

Aeiedil

well im hoping when it comes CF will be able to get a huge house :) for myself though i woudlnt mind a small hut, but if all the main stuff was in the cf house id have my house just for scenery ;)

F

froler-mid

yay...a house..........................i can like...sit in it and chat.....

no thx.

T

Trinilim

Depending on the price, I'd want a lvl 2 or 3, big and spacey, I like roomy pads ;).

Would be an excellent place to take up roleplaying as well..

Just think about it,

a bunch of geeks sitting around the computer playing DAOC characters who are in a house playing Dungeons and Dragons and arguing over how hard the Orc Slave Driver hits someone for.

B

bredo

Donæt forget the cost reduction on merchants. After buying them for your house, all you buy from them is 25% less than normal, that makes huge difference for high tier material merchants etc

E

elath

Housing is an excellent idea - it completely changes the gaming experience (had a small tower in UO). NPC merchants to sell your crafted gear is invaluable: yes people do spend time going from merchant to merchant to get what they want, also it alows us crafters much more space to do things, we'll be able to craft when we want and no more valuable vault spaces being taken up by things waiting to be collected (somewhere to put those damn potions weeeeeee). Also the house vault will be great for exchanging items between your characters: I know you can just ask a guildle to help at the mo, but its so much easier just to be able to bank items knowing that you can then just collect them with your alts when you next log one on.

I cant wait :)

G

Garnet

its going to be bad. Going to turn into UO, houses placed right next to each other, making the atmosphere crap and laggy.

A

Asq

Originally posted by Garnet
its going to be bad. Going to turn into UO, houses placed right next to each other, making the atmosphere crap and laggy.
Read more, there'll be garden-like areas inbetween the houses, you just might be able to see your next door neighbour or the next village if you live on the outskirts of town.

P

Pempulla

It at least sounds like a very good thing. All alchemists at least should rejoice as it finally becomes viable to make stat buff, regen, etc. pots and give the NPC to sell them for you now. As it is now, making pots for gold is VERY annoying with the limited amount of slots available to any alchemist.

A

Avena

Originally posted by Pempulla
It at least sounds like a very good thing. All alchemists at least should rejoice as it finally becomes viable to make stat buff, regen, etc. pots and give the NPC to sell them for you now. As it is now, making pots for gold is VERY annoying with the limited amount of slots available to any alchemist.

Did they say there where gonna be merchants to sell stuff for you? how cool is that :cool:

T

Thorarin

Originally posted by hellraisermk2
There's room for some really nice additions to housing though, but I seriously doubt Mythic will ever get round to implimenting them (merchants to sell PC gear 24/7 would be somethng half decent).

Uhm, read the press release about the housing expansion. That's exactly what they intend to provide:

"Each house can also have a porch, where a trade merchant non-player character (NPC) can be situated. The NPC will be able to sell goods even when the player who owns the house is not at home."

It's probably not in the current housing documentation because it's not implemented yet.
I quote: "Also please note that some features still currently planned for Foundations are not yet documented here."

D

dwindimir

As the other guy said, the merchants selling pc stuff is a dead idea. Due to the size of the housing zones, why would anybody bother running around, just to find one or 2 items in the zones. And of course there is the "UO Moron" effect where 75% people place only useless crap to the merchant, so you have to spend an hour just to find the correct merchant.

H

healer_mcheal

well, u look for the certain persons house thats the crafter your after, etc, not just like a headless chicken, if u know such an such is a wep crafter, and u need one, go to his house, if u see what i mean.:)

D

dwindimir

Are they going to make an online "Who is Who in Albion" where I can find out where that 1000+ AC lives? Since everybody can take any kind of sign, regardless of skill or craftguild. Its already too hard to find a good crafter, its impossible to find one after the expansion, since everybody will be crafting at their houses.

Users who are viewing this thread