Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
As alarm grew about the rise of fascism in Europe, Chamberlain resorted to news censorship to control public opinion.

By contrast, the few who stood out against appeasement were seen as "voices in the wilderness whose wise counsels were largely ignored, with almost catastrophic consequences for the nation

. The historians' assessments have ranged from condemnation for allowing Adolf Hitler's Germany to grow too strong, to the judgment that British leaders had no alternative and acted in their country's best interests.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
As alarm grew about the rise of fascism in Europe, Chamberlain resorted to news censorship to control public opinion.

By contrast, the few who stood out against appeasement were seen as "voices in the wilderness whose wise counsels were largely ignored, with almost catastrophic consequences for the nation

. The historians' assessments have ranged from condemnation for allowing Adolf Hitler's Germany to grow too strong, to the judgment that British leaders had no alternative and acted in their country's best interests.
So we should forcefully condemn and shut down the AfD right? That's what you recommend?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

So you're suggesting that we're appeasing the EU right now?

As far as I am aware, most countries in the EU have agreed to join the EU and their leaders are currently suggesting that they should create a European army to protect Europe, it's not even been discussed yet, but I'm sure if lots of countries disagree with it then it won't go ahead.

That is slightly different to invading Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland (I'd also like to point out that many of the German claims for some of these countries were also completely legitimate, much like the Russians having a claim to the Crimea, I'd actually suggest that you'd support German claims at the time since lots of German speakers were put into new countries which they didn't associate with culturally.)

I'd like to point to history to why your approach doesn't work, using your own examples. WW1; The Treaty of Versailles utterly destroyed Germany, creating a very hostile environment and the blame was easy for Hitler to take advantage of. WW2; Germany was allowed to grow and prosper under the control of the Allies and there hasn't been a war since.

I actually can't believe you're suggesting that we're appeasing the EU.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Post-Brexit who will lead Europe?

I can't quite put my finger on it but Macron is a tad annoying, he seems to be spending a lot of time in other countries talking about EU improvements and changes while paying little attention to French issues recently.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Post-Brexit who will lead Europe?

I can't quite put my finger on it but Macron is a tad annoying, he seems to be spending a lot of time in other countries talking about EU improvements and changes while paying little attention to French issues recently.

Isnt that his job? As Prez he is in charge of foreign affairs and organising government while prime minister is in charge of france. Or have i misunderstood the french setup?

Job

The Polish government have pushed out the head of the war museum because hes a leftie appointed by Tusk who pushed a guilt trip, hippy, flowers and beatles theme.

The new guy has gone full bore the other way.
This is the exit video from the museum.
I think it sums up where Poland is going.

View: https://youtu.be/gaTwXXJHX_I

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The Polish government have pushed out the head of the war museum because hes a leftie appointed by Tusk who pushed a guilt trip, hippy, flowers and beatles theme.

The new guy has gone full bore the other way.
This is the exit video from the museum.
I think it sums up where Poland is going.

View: https://youtu.be/gaTwXXJHX_I

The Poles have always been fiercely nationalistic and it's the 100th anniversary of their independence.

Embattle

FH is my second home
As a member of NATO and one of the countries who benefit from NATO I wouldn't exactly call it helping out NATO as it is and always has been in our interest to participate.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I suppose "NATO member takes part in NATO exercise" didn't have the same ring to it.

And I'm not sure what it's got to do with Europe but you carry on.

Job

If they pull the plug on brexit..the contagien will spread across Europe like a wildfire.

Democracy will be lost for us all in Europe and it will be the beginning of the end for any slim trust people had.

They are playing with fire

Job

Unfortunately I have to say that everyone underestimates the consequences.
It all might seem like a Fawlty Towers farce, but this is being played out on a backdrop of unprecendeted mistrust of the EU across Europe.
Not massive forces..just nibbling way from every angle.
Merkel is dead...liberals are dead..centrists are facing a wipeout in upcoming elections..nationalism is on the rise and the denial of democracy in Britain us all it takes to change disgruntlement into action.
Do you think it would just blow over..ah well, back to business as usual...a few moaners on the radio...give them a tax cut and all will be forgotten.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Don't forget to wear your foil hat as they can also read your brain waves.

Well perhaps not yours but you know...

Job

Maybe you could share your prediction of the fallout from a no brexit announcement.
Many intelligent ministers have said it would destroy the trust of the people for a 100 years and damage Britains international standing for the same time.
I dont see how even remainers could support it without their stupid , populist, peoples vote.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Just as shocking as remainers downplaying the seriousness of it not happening, even on this forum.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
"You're not taking it seriously enough", says the user who responds mostly with infantile ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom