DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The situation is more like Scotland asking for a vote, being turned down, voting in their own parliament to have a vote anyway, then Westminister sending in the TA to shut down newspapers and printers...

Support for independence in Catalonia was less than 15% ten years ago now its pushing past 50% seems to me that the central government has decided to take a heavy hand, which only makes it worse

I think it would be a mistake to leave Spain, if they do it could see the other regions flaring up again

It is, but there's a key difference; Spain has a Constitution, we don't. Because of the Acts of Union, there is actually a mechanism for the elements of the UK to secede, that isn't the case with Spain, which is why you need a constitutional amendment (which requires a national vote...and you can see the problem...) to legally have an independence vote in the first place. What Catalonia are doing is more analgous to the Confederates in America than it is to Scottish Independence.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It is, but there's a key difference; Spain has a Constitution, we don't. Because of the Acts of Union, there is actually a mechanism for the elements of the UK to secede, that isn't the case with Spain, which is why you need a constitutional amendment (which requires a national vote...and you can see the problem...) to legally have an independence vote in the first place. What Catalonia are doing is more analgous to the Confederates in America than it is to Scottish Independence.

I think that's the issue though - this isn't the 1700s, this is 2017, I think the global support for independence movements are far higher than it was in the 1700s.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I think the shit will hit the fan in Spain long before here, the actions of the Spanish government are ultimately making it worse.

DaGaffer

I think that's the issue though - this isn't the 1700s, this is 2017, I think the global support for independence movements are far higher than it was in the 1700s.

It doesn't matter; if you throw out the rule of law on a whim, the next step is violence.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
No it isn't, it is revolution.

...and to quote Kennedy

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

Last edited:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm sorry, I read it through again twice now. Where in that post did I insult you?

Why are you talking about physical violence, what is the matter with you?

You questioned his intellectual authoritaaa. You wife beater you!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You questioned his intellectual authoritaaa. You wife beater you!

Yeah, the ridiculous little cunt went too far then, says a lot about him as a person though, doesn't it? Nasty, bitter little man that he is.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He has every opportunity to retract his accusation and apologise :)

Gwadien

This is literally like a school fight thing, it's hilarious.

Your mums a whore though innit.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't find domestic violence to be particularly funny. Sorry.

DaGaffer

No it isn't, it is revolution.

...and to quote Kennedy

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

Its not impossible though, just needs some lawyers and politicians to put the hours in in the right place. And I'm fairly unimpressed with talk of "revolution" for the poor oppressed Catalans...

Gwadien

I don't find domestic violence to be particularly funny. Sorry.

No, I mean @Scouse calling you a wife beater is fucking pathetic.

You're both as bad as each other, just ignore each other or simply shut the fuck up, it's boring.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
No, I mean @Scouse calling you a wife beater is fucking pathetic.

You're both as bad as each other, just ignore each other or simply shut the fuck up, it's boring.

Agreed, but he literally went full retard, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Its bizarre. Then starts throwing around accusation of domestic violence, I mean, wtf?

DaGaffer

A revolution in the tax take from their corner of the country may be...

I don't believe that either. The economics of small countries aren't the same as large countries. Catalans will suddenly find they're paying more for health care and education, energy and infrastructure. While they're at the high end of Spanish economic contribution, they're not that high; 16% of Spanish population, 20% of GDP about €34K GDP per cap (dor comparison Ireland has a GDP/Cap of €56K). London alone generates 20% of UK GDP, with only 11% of the population, and with the extra costs they'll have to take on, they're not going to be particularly rich even if the intent is to get away from the Spanish drag on the economy. There may be a nationalistic argument, but the economic one is weak as fuck.

DaGaffer

In that case is it just a case of little, er, Spanierders?

I was talking to our Au Pair about it (she's Catalan) and she was pretty cynical; she had the whole "Madrid never listens" thing going on, but she reckons its really just a land grab by politicians who want to run a country not a region. Big fish small pond kind of deal.

DaGaffer

That's really weird. I'm getting a broken link on three different devices on three different networks (two mobile and one fibre). I was talking to the editor on Twitter about and he said they couldn't see the problem.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That's really weird. I'm getting a broken link on three different devices on three different networks (two mobile and one fibre). I was talking to the editor on Twitter about and he said they couldn't see the problem.

Is it through work WiFI? Some sort of network fuckup? I know ours blocks random connections all the time.

DaGaffer

Is it through work WiFI? Some sort of network fuckup? I know ours blocks random connections all the time.

No. I've looked at it through two different 4G connections and a home fibre connection (Virgin) over wifi and ethernet, so completely different. The only common factor is they're all in Ireland! It does feel like its a network issue, but not a bit of the network I can control. But if its network it feels like that should impact the domain, not specific pages, unless they're running something on those pages off a third-party (ad tracker or something) and its in the header so its not letting the page load at all. Its really odd.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
This is the most boring Brexit ever, we are leaving the EU and even I can't be arsed to read about it.

On a side note Polish hero is voted best WW2 pilot, because of a social media campaign amongst Poles, the best bit is even the Daily Mail readership think this is splendid.
Remember, its anti EU, not anti Europeans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom