Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The breakdown of any "charges" is available to all.

They aren't charges btw, we pay in, we get out...up until the exact moment we leave (with a few loose ends afterwards I imagine, both ways)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yes, but once they are in the limelight and people start investigating the story behind them....its the EU, they will be contrived

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The breakdown of any "charges" is available to all.

They aren't charges btw, we pay in, we get out...up until the exact moment we leave (with a few loose ends afterwards I imagine, both ways)

Not quite, there are some long-term items that go beyond Brexit

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Anyone would think the Guardian make a habit of misrepresenting data.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
eurostat.jpg

"UK economy falls to bottom of EU growth league"

Where's the misrepresentation?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
eurostat.jpg

"UK economy falls to bottom of EU growth league"

Where's the misrepresentation?

As mentioned, they have blamed it on Brexit, yet all that has happened is we have continued our historical Q1 performance - in fact if you look at 2015, we were a long way behind the EU in Q1, and we didn't even know we were having a referendum then.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
NONONONO ITS BREXIT OMG DOOMED

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Interestingly enough the UK beat all expectations in the last quarter of 2016, leading up to the expected slow Q1 quarter. Something tells me the Guardian didn't attribute that to Brexit.

Possibly because it is having a less than expected affect and certain low-end publications are finding the facts don't quite stack up to their expectations.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Thats what happens when investors sniff a labour government...especially a union run one.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The UK has the slowest rate of growth out of every single EU member every Q1?

Bodhi

The UK has the slowest rate of growth out of every single EU member every Q1?

The article (strangely enough) doesn't give us enough information to reach that conclusion, but it does give us enough information to see that the UK economy typically does see very low growth every Q1.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, a few minutes of research will tell you that yes, the UK traditionally has pretty crappy Q1 growth and no, the UK very much does not regularly come bottom of the list of all EU members.

Bodhi

Well, a few minutes of research will tell you that yes, the UK traditionally has pretty crappy Q1 growth and no, the UK very much does not regularly come bottom of the list of all EU members.

OK, so we've performed as usual, and the other members of the EU have outpaced us ever so slightly.

SOrry, why should I be concerned again? If we see the same in Q2 I'll be concerned - however with everything else we've had this quarter, putting it just down to Brexit will be a challenge for anyone (except The Guardian, who have even blamed Grenfell Tower on Brexit. Even though we were in the EU when the building was refitted).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Gove presiding over us trying to stop neonicotinoids getting banned under the Precautionary Principle I see.

I don't get why some think it's OK to use shit before it's proven safe, rather than prove it safe before using it - especially things that have such wide ranging effects on the world we live in :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Gove presiding over us trying to stop neonicotinoids getting banned under the Precautionary Principle I see.

I don't get why some think it's OK to use shit before it's proven safe, rather than prove it safe before using it - especially things that have such wide ranging effects on the world we live in :(

Sweeping statement. You know full well the science moves. Britain was no heavier a user of pesticides than anyone else. There now seems to be consensus that we're collectively using too many pesticides, but there's also a worrying revisionist narrative that they were never necessary in the first place, which is flat out untrue.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sweeping statement. You know full well the science moves. Britain was no heavier a user of pesticides than anyone else. There now seems to be consensus that we're collectively using too many pesticides, but there's also a worrying revisionist narrative that they were never necessary in the first place, which is flat out untrue.
I don't think there's a narrative that says that at all - the UN says that most farms could dramatically reduce their pesticide use across the board and still produce the same amount of food and realise the same profit level - but I don't think anyone sensible is saying "ban all pesticides".

To address the first part of your post tho - yes, the science moves. That's the whole point of the Precautionary Principle - lets not do it until the evidence suggests it's safe, rather than lets go ahead full steam and hope that things turn out OK.

(edit: - We're currently "doing it" but the science has moved and suggested that "it" may be unsafe in certain circumstances / cases - so precaution says "stop and do research", not "carry on regardless because = profit").

In terms of neonicotinoids - it's again not an outright ban but a ban outside greenhouses. And considering they're a bioaccumulating neurotoxin of uncertain toxicity to the wider flora and fauna (and known devestating toxicity to pollinators) then they're a clear case for falling under the precautionary principle.

Edit: Aside from that, the article does make a good point - if farmers both purchase their seeds, pesticides and get information about "best practice" from the companies that produce the seeds and pesticides then that's clearly not an ideal situation. Best practice should be defined by people who don't have vested interests - but then that's a call for a well-funded state infrastructure, which in our neoliberal world is actual heresy.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
More and more farmers are looking for natural ways to curb the need for pesticides, setting aside land for bird habitat, for example. They will always need them but they don't necessarily need to use the nuclear option.

Some are also introducing beehives to their farms.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I would prefer a fully amnesty tbh, some sort of dual nationality.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Rather shit for people who have been here for less than 5 years, my wife is over the moon though, she's been here over a decade now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom