Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The amount of hysterics from people so bored of life that they need to get upset by something, just to feel something, is mental.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Maybe its because I said it that you have to automatically take the opposite view, regardless of how desperately simple minded it makes you look...I dunno, just an idea.
And maybe it's because I said something that you have to be so confrontational. One of your problems is that you think that shouting the loudest makes you look intelligent. (hint: it doesn't, it just makes you look like an obnoxious twat - you'd think you would've learned that when you were about 10)

And I'm not even taking the opposite view to you, I responded to
People here will stay, people there will stay.
which, minutes later, in a following post (pesky edit timer, eh?), you dialled back to
It is highly likely that people will stay where they are now, it is somewhat likely that there will be little change to current migration.
My point was that you can't rule something out because it's impracticable, no matter how impracticable it might be. Of course it's unlikely that they'd *want* to change the migration situation but the fact that they're holding back and not immediately making their stance known (which they could've done months ago) is despicable and not encouraging in the slightest for the spirit of the negotiations.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Who said anything about "just" immigration? It is nevertheless a fact that the end of free movement is now a UK red line. And speaking as someone who lives in the EU, I'm not a fucking bargaining chip.

All the other things can be negotiated, but the actual fate of human beings should come first.

Fully agree, but I can understand why no concessions have been given at this point, as the EU have decreed no negotiation until Article 50. Hopefully now that has happened this will be one of the first things to get agreed.

I have just discovered that being born in Ballymena (hiy) actually entitles me to an Irish Passport, so if worst comes to the worst I can just do that. However, I really don't see me ever having to apply for one, as to be honest, I really don't think too much will change on the imiigration front. However I am moderately less concerned about dem immigrants than I am about cricket (and I really couldn't give a shit about cricket), so meh. Getting out of a dysfunctional beauracracy that took it upon itself to move from Brussels to Strasbourg once a month was my main concern tbh.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I was born in germany. Zero worries.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yeah, because they haven't been complaining about Poles nicking jobs for the last decade.
That was just grumbling, people didnt have a fundamental problem with Eastern Europeans.
Muslims are a whole different kettle of fish.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
In b4 EU bureaucracy doesn't allow the activation of article 50 and you're stuck with us forever

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
That was just grumbling, people didnt have a fundamental problem with Eastern Europeans.
Muslims are a whole different kettle of fish.

How does leaving the EU help this?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
How does leaving the EU help this?

I had a conversation with some idiot at work today and he thinks we will get less brown immigration when we leave the EU...something...EU court...something...infowars....something. Yeah.

He refuses to vote though so who cares.

Job

Well obviously, people were concerned that mainly the Germans were handing out EU membership to every sob story from the ME and NA, they would then have instant access to every part of the UKs facilities, and once Turkey got within striking distance of full EU membership, that kinda tipped the boat, tesulting in a racist coming second in Dutch elections, Le Penn leading the polls and a good chunk of Eastern Europe up in arms...thousands of miles of barbed fences..but..no..its just brexiters being bigots.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's also quite funny that the letter used to fuck off the EU is from one unelected leader to another.

Although at least one of them actually got elected to government, rather than just paying the right mates off.

Bodhi

Strictly speaking no British PM is elected - We elect a party to government and then their leader becomes PM.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
obvs

But every election since WW2 has been a popularity contest based on the leader at any one time. There is a reason Blair cosied up to the celebs of the day.

...and why this man...

mad_miliband.jpg

...got pwnt so hard.

Edit, though granted, Sith Lord May (to give her her proper title) would still use Corbyn as a sanitary towel.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
the EU have decreed no negotiation until Article 50.
Didn't need negotiation. The UK could have made the lives of millions a lot less stressful by declaring unilaterally "it's OK - you and your families won't get kicked out, don't worry - we're not utter utter cunts".

But it turns out we are.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
And on the same note. Neither did we say, off you go cunts, bye.

Also, neither did the EU say "it's OK - you and your families won't get kicked out, don't worry - we're not utter utter cunts" so the point is dumb as fuck.

It is literally arguing that one side said the exact same thing (or didn't) as the other but is a cunt for doing so.

Talk about bias demonstrated to perfection.

Job

They say May is over playing the security threat.
No she isnt and the EU knows it, we are the cornerstone of Nato and are responsible for most of Europes intelligence and security.
A very thinly veiled threat in the letter.
Work with us or we pull the plug, at last the EU is being faced with Britains power, back that up with a crazy, anglophile US president.
The ball us in our court.

Bodhi

Didn't need negotiation. The UK could have made the lives of millions a lot less stressful by declaring unilaterally "it's OK - you and your families won't get kicked out, don't worry - we're not utter utter cunts".

But it turns out we are.

But what impetus would that give the EU to safeguard the rights of UK citizens living there?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But what impetus would that give the EU to safeguard the rights of UK citizens living there?
Who cares?

First and foremost: it's the right thing to do. I know that doesn't seem to carry any weight with the low rents around here but ethical behaviour counts.

And if we're such a great country, an example to the rest of the world, something for other countries to look up to, then we need to act like it.

Don't forget - this situation is our fault. We voted to leave. Our actions are the reason that millions of people are now living with uncertainty - at home and abroad. Our actions, our votes. Everyone was secure until we voted to leave.

Comparing certainty over your families' country of residence to fishing rights is laughably idiotic. There are some things that shouldn't be 'on the table'.

We could have fixed this. Regardless of what the EU will do. And make no mistake, the EU doesn't want to look like cunts so they would have had immense pressure to reciprocate.

Regardless - doing the right thing doesn't depend on the actions of others. Sometimes it comes at a cost.

Our mess. Our fault. The onus is on us.

Job

I know you keep saying its the right thing to do, but that is just a sideshow and reflects the simplistic, give money to african babies, armchair mentality.
Do you think anyone would remember such a populist gesture, it will get swallowed up in the next 5 years of political turmoil.
By refusing the guarantee, we are showing we are not a pushover, and the army of concerned EU nationals is just a figment of the medias imagination.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I know you keep saying its the right thing to do, but that is just a sideshow and reflects the simplistic, give money to african babies, armchair mentality.
Do you think anyone would remember such a populist gesture, it will get swallowed up in the next 5 years of political turmoil.
By refusing the guarantee, we are showing we are not a pushover, and the army of concerned EU nationals is just a figment of the medias imagination.

About four million people who are actually affected by it would remember, and their families.

Job

Seriously, start rounding up EU nationals and send them home...never gonna happen, even polled ukipers are totally against that.
It would be chaos, in the courts and on the streets, with practically zero support from the public.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Can the EU negotiate residency rights with a non EU state on behalf of all EU countries except for schengen style free movement?

I mean the US (as an example) has a wide variety of VISA deals that differ between EU countries

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Can the EU negotiate residency rights with a non EU state on behalf of all EU countries except for schengen style free movement?

I mean the US (as an example) has a wide variety of VISA deals that differ between EU countries

Yes. There are all kinds of EU agreements that do this. It also applies internally (e.g. Croatians are in the EU but still restricted on where they can work). When my parents lived in Cyprus there was an EU residency status for Cypriots as I recall (before Cyprus joined the EU).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Way to miss the clear point spectacularly @Job.

And way to utterly fail at showing empathy, or ethical reasoning.

Job

I didn't miss any 'point' and empathy and ethical reasoning went out the window with calling every ukip voter a racist bigot.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It translates to 'we asked a thousand people after the day of the Nice attack at a ultra right wing protest'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom