Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Well you can take sides and blame the media for negative reporting on brexit, but you can equally blame the media for negative reports on the EU before the vote, so its swings and roundabouts.

The trick is never believe any shit you read in the press

Job

I don't think the media has much swing one way or the other at this point - they report good and bad news (although obviously some of it will be agenda-driven). The fact that there's apparently more bad than good is just reflective of the situation. For every story about a company committing to the UK there's either a subtext of them basically holding the government to ransom or other stories about companies moving staff overseas. On Monday Deutsche Bank said they expect the pound to fall to near-parity with the dollar, is that good news too?

That one is just hilarious, a major bank predicting a huge fall in the pound..really, so I presume the worlds hedge funds are on to it, poised to make trillions..no, because its bollocks, they could never know.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Or you know, they know they are going to make billions either way because hey thats how banking works these days it seems

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bets on announcing reciprocal agreements with major partners on currently living foreigners and expat UK citizens in the next week?

It'd be great news for them but horribly cynical of the government - engineering a positive news story from something that should never have been a thing.

Or maybe not?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The EU are just as guilty of using people as pawns.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Such a childish argument.

We should have taken the moral high ground. The fact that we didn't makes us fucking scum regardless of how others act.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Swedish newspapers expresses concern about border controls in Northern Ireland, and what it might bring.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Such a childish argument.

We should have taken the moral high ground. The fact that we didn't makes us fucking scum regardless of how others act.

If you say so...

Do you also think the EU are scum for refusing to promise anything too? (it is an identical position from both sides)

It must be wretched living in a country you hate, if only there was a way out.

Or how about this for an option. Neither side wants to give anything away just because a handful of angry people on the internet think they should and would rather wait to discuss it as part of wide ranging talks in the coming years.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Raven - you look after your own behavior first. You don't point at the other kids and go "mwahhhh!! but they're not doing it!!!"

Your argument is horridly childish. You've heard the maxim "two wrongs don't make a right" - and that applies here.

For an analogy that is more suited to you: we've reduced ourselves to the level of two drunken chavs fighting in the street rather than us being the better man and walking away.

Whatever way you argue it - we've acted like pitiless fucking scum. How the EU has acted is utterly irrelevant to the argument.

This is people's lives. It's fucking abhorrent that the UK has chosen to be part of the problem. Everything else is fair game. Not that.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Oh dear...

It really isn't as simple as that.

Are fishing rights fair game? As in fishing rights that are people's livelihoods? Oh wait, no, as with everything they will be part of wide ranging discussions too. That is how a negotiation works, emotion such as yours shouldn't come into it.

fwiw, I agree that we should have got it out of the way but seeing as the EU appear to be in full jealous ex-wife mode it would be daft to offer them something for nothing.

Regardless, it is likely you are getting yourself all worked up over nothing anyway. I imagine it will be agreed that there is some sort of arrangement for people to stay if not an agreement that free movement remains as part of a trade deal.

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Anyway its done, 2 more years of listening to incessant whining.

unnamed.jpg

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

The UK are leaving the EU, its beholden on the UK to make the first move since they're the ones deciding they don't want dirty furriners no more. This didn't need Article 50 to get sorted. Problem is there are Tories suggesting that EU citizens who come to the UK now (Article 50 countdown day 1) should have fewer rights than people who arrived yesterday. Understandably the EU thinks that's a shit idea and they're not wrong. Problem is the Tories seem to think that if they don't do that they'll be inundated with all those people in the EU desperate to get to the sunlit uplands of blighty before the door closes. Despite the fact that all the evidence since last June shows EU immigration is already falling, because of course it fucking will.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
eek, is that old bullshit still being peddled? Just immigration?

Edit, It doesn't matter who is leaving who. Who lives where and with what rights. It is still part of the negotiation, you do not open negotiations with an (ever more) obnoxious other party by presenting them with a bunch of bargaining chips. This is something that needs to be discussed without emotion being involved.

And as said, what about other things that need to be agreed? Working rights, fishing rights, trade rights. People's careers are as important to where they live, why would it be fair to start off by saying "yeah don't worry about it, live where you like" but then not agreeing about other, just as important things before they are negotiated.

Last edited:

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Explain to me like I'm a retard.

What's to stop a pro-EU party (I dunno, like, Labour...) creating a mandate for a referendum on joining the EU?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
As far as i am aware now thst it has been triggered it cannot be cancelled without a treaty change, any rejoining of EU would have to happen afterwards

And one of conditions of EU membership these days is joining the Euro...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Edit edit. and as said, it is likely that angry internet types are getting themselves into a state about nothing. It would be hugely impracticable for everyone to unravel x years of migration. People here will stay, people there will stay.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Being in a situation where that is not guaranteed is worrying though

I know many EUers in UK, most have one worry about brexit, and that worry is all about their residency status (many of them have been in the UK for decades)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It would be hugely impracticable for everyone to unravel x years of migration.
Whereas unravelling x years of everything else that connects the UK to the EU will be a walk in the park? I'm not sure "it would be impracticable" can be used in the current climate when assuming something will or won't happen. You would've thought that untangling 4 decades of international relations would be impracticable but it's happening.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah...nobody said that though...so...

But if you think that changing a bunch of regulations is as complicated as repatriating people who have lived here (or there) potentially for decades then...wow.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Except you, when you specifically picked out migration as being "hugely impracticable" to unravel, which suggests you think everything else will be... less impracticable.

erm. Quite a leap there. All I said was it was not something that we can just decide by some glib announcement made before any negotiation has taken place. It is highly likely that people will stay where they are now, it is somewhat likely that there will be little change to current migration.

Do you seriously think that millions (yes, millions) of individual cases could simply be solved by basically telling them to "get out" or "yeah mates, feel free to stay or whatever, don't worry about the details we will sort them later LOL" Don't be so openly dumb.

Maybe its because I said it that you have to automatically take the opposite view, regardless of how desperately simple minded it makes you look...I dunno, just an idea.

Job

I think its fair to say given the governments track record on immigration, that all you'll need to do is turn up as a man in a dress or say you once looked at a picture of a war zone and youre in.
If Brexit is the absolute disaster every liberal paper says it is going to be, why is an intelligent woman like May so keen to throw her legacy in the bin, I'm still not convinced she isn't simply a decoy.

DaGaffer

eek, is that old bullshit still being peddled? Just immigration?

Edit, It doesn't matter who is leaving who. Who lives where and with what rights. It is still part of the negotiation, you do not open negotiations with an (ever more) obnoxious other party by presenting them with a bunch of bargaining chips. This is something that needs to be discussed without emotion being involved.

And as said, what about other things that need to be agreed? Working rights, fishing rights, trade rights. People's careers are as important to where they live, why would it be fair to start off by saying "yeah don't worry about it, live where you like" but then not agreeing about other, just as important things before they are negotiated.

Who said anything about "just" immigration? It is nevertheless a fact that the end of free movement is now a UK red line. And speaking as someone who lives in the EU, I'm not a fucking bargaining chip.

All the other things can be negotiated, but the actual fate of human beings should come first.

Job

The only reason free movement became a problem was when they started talking about letting muslims into it.
Then everybody lost their shit.

DaGaffer

The only reason free movement became a problem was when they started talking about letting muslims into it.
Then everybody lost their shit.

Yeah, because they haven't been complaining about Poles nicking jobs for the last decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom