Advice Ski wear

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Gents,

I took up skiing earlier in the year, got a chunk of lessons on real snow indoors and I quite fancy getting away at Christmas onto a proper slope.

I've got some basic clothing for skiing in (all of it from The North Face):

- 'warm' base layers for top and bottom
- waterproof trousers
- gloves
- waterproof / breathable jacket (mildly insulated, not a ski jacket though)
- Windstopper neck gaiter and a Windstopper ear thingy (both of which I use hillwalking)

Given that the indoor snow place is -5c and has no windchill, my waterproof trousers and jacket will probably not be suitable for somewhere that's colder and windier (my gloves, socks, neck gaiter and ear thingy will all be fine), not to mention my jacket is missing some other basic ski bits like powder skirt and a hood that has enough room for a helmet.

I'm a noob and haven't been to a ski resort, so what sort of things should I look for regarding insulated ski trousers and ski jacket? For hillwalking, I layer my clothing (base layer for wicking, mid layer fleece and gore tex outer shell) and I've read around the web about adopting the same layering for skiing, but I also appreciate it's considerably colder than hillwalking so may need something a bit warmer and more suitable for skiing.

Any advice? How do you layer (if at all)? Is a down jacket going to be too warm? How cold is it up a mountain?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Please tell me you didn't pay £90 for gloves.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I wear underpants, ski trousers, t-shirt, ski jacket. + Gloves+Hat.
I usually keep a thick jumper in my bag so if it gets cold I can layer up a bit.

This is fine for most of europe. If you're going to somewhere retarded like canada or alaska thats going to hit you with -20 then balaclava, thermals and some layers are probably a much better idea.

If you want to do it on a reasonable price - gogo TK Max in winter - they stock last seasons jackets/pants for ridic money off like £200-400 jackets for 100-150..... just because it's got last years colour scheme on it....
Or if you want to buy now there are plenty of sales on selling 2011/2012 stock - in particular these dudes are pretty good: http://www.sailandski.co.uk/

If you can do it go and get boots fitted properly and have your own - regardless of if you own skis or not, having properly fitted boots makes such a huge difference - rental stock in resorts is hammered, years old and all the cushioning has been taken out of it.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Oh and £90 for gloves you twat, check the gloves section out on that website I linked :/ I think my current ones are some £80 ones discounted to £15 I got from TK max when i was helping my friend get all his stuff in january. :/

As an example I bought some skis a few weeks ago for £309 - price in season? £575

Only difference between the 2011/2012 skis I got and this years 2012/2013 model? Different graphics on the tops of the skis......

My boots - £300 in season, got them for £160 in offseason sale. ( heat molded ).

old.user4556

Interesting, I very much doubt Canada is something I'd do soon, probably just something like France or Italy so I won't go OTT.

I love those gloves, they double up for hillwalking and standing about in -10 in Glencoe doing photography.

They also got me laid once.

To myself.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Depends on where you'll end up, the Alps? And when. If you're hitting the Alps during Christmas, it'll be allright. The most important thing is to be "waterproof" and have good quality underpants and undershirt. Helps a FUCKLOAD. If you're going up for more than a few days and plan on going again, getting a medium-quality jacket may be a good idea. I, personally, going to the alps usually dont have any neck or ear-warmers, normally not even a hat on.

A tip is to get a good quality skigoggles too, that doesnt steam up easily!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Oh yeah, you need some sort of eye protection - regular sunglasses won't cut it unless they are ladies massive oversize ones ( wouldn't put it past you ).

Proper goggles are a good idea. Also don't be a fucking retard and get black iridium that only let 18% light through then wonder why you can't see shit when it's cloudy :p

You can get a decent pair atm for 25-75 quid ( and yes the 25 quid gogs are fine ). Some of the popular lines ( oakley crowbar ) even have rapid swap lenses so you can have a bunch of lenses for varying light conditions.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Also, this might not seem intuitive but sun protection is necessary. You can/will get sunburnt skiing if you don't use it.

old.user4556

I'm Scottish, I burn when it rains and that is no joke.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I always get hot and sweaty skiing and end up with just a t-shirt under a thin jacket and a hoodie in the backpack for the chair lifts, if you need good gloves you're falling over too much, 5 quid garage bought thinsulate FTW.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
The Alps, especially down south (French-Italian border) get really quite light, even during Christmas time. Light-reflection and what nots.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
ECA said:
Also, this might not seem intuitive but sun protection is necessary. You can/will get sunburnt skiing if you don't use it.

As well as lip balm...sun protection stuff if you can find it...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Just get yourself some pink lycra, you will be fine.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Job said:
I always get hot and sweaty skiing and end up with just a t-shirt under a thin jacket and a hoodie in the backpack for the chair lifts, if you need good gloves you're falling over too much, 5 quid garage bought thinsulate FTW.

All depends on the weather conditions. Can be bloody freezing If you are skiing so you need proper gloves not some stupid thinsulate crap.

Sometimes it can be hot but I'd rather not get frostbite and be able to hold my ski poles properly with the leather outer lining.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
lolwut? Where are you planning on skiing? Are you going through a mid life crisis?

As a non-expert the only thing you need is some proper ski trousers and some proper eye protection. Your trousers will get wet (especially if you fall over a bit) and your eyes can get fucked with the sun reflecting off everything.

You will need a jacket but I used a £25 anorak if you are actually skiing up and down mountains you won't get cold. You can often get away with a T-shirt under your jacket which can often be partly undone most of the time. Do take a warm jumper but don't invest heavily in something, same with the gloves and hat. Whatever is comfortable.

Sun cream is important and both the after sun stuff and a chap stick may come in useful as you will get burnt in odd places and your lips may turn into broken bits of sandpaper.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Been skiing pretty much all my life and the best advice I can give a new skier, or an experienced one, buy a proper helmet. Saved me loads of times. You might think that you'll take it easy, but you never know about the retard coming at you with the speed of light and no control at all

Ono

Part of the furniture
We just had waterproof ski jacket with t-shirt and thin long sleeve under and then similar ski trousers. To me, most important thing is to get a decent fitting pair of ski boots and good socks. It is where you will hurt most after a session.

I never bothered with goggles, just wore shades and didn't even go with a helmet - just bobble hat if cold but we inisisted the kids wore theirs.

Nate

FH is my second home
They also got me laid once.

I suppose it went a bit like this?

This item has Patrol GTX on it which makes it intrinsically sweet and worth 5 stars by itself, but once I tried it on, that's when the magic happened. After checking to ensure that the radiametric precurved fit would properly cover my mighty fists, I walked from my trailer to Wal-mart with the gloves on and was immediately approached by women. The women knew from the GORE-TEX in my gloves that I, like a Butcher, am a mysterious loner who knows how to 'give a lady a good porking' from time to time (if you catch my drift!). The women that approached me wanted to know if I would be their boyfriend and/or give them money for something they called mehth. I told them no, because they didn't have enough teeth, and frankly a man with Patrol GTX gloves shouldn't settle for the first thing that comes to him.

I arrived at Wal-mart, mounted my courtesy-scooter (walking is such a drag!) sitting side saddle so that my breathable barrier would show. While I was browsing tube socks, I could hear aroused asthmatic breathing behind me. I turned around to see a slightly sweaty dream in sweatpants and flip-flops standing there. She told me she liked the pittards digital leather on my palm, I told her I wanted to pile on and microfleece her lining. She offered me a swig from her mountain dew, and I drove my scooter, with her shuffling along side out the door and into the rest of our lives. Thank you Men's Patrol GTX Gloves.

Pros: Fits my mighty fists, has GORE on it, attracts women
Cons: Only back country (could probably use a bit on the front), cannot see GORE when sitting with arms crossed, GORE would have been better if it glowed in the dark.

Nate

FH is my second home
Also,

Is it better not to rent the clothes for the first few tries? Considering you may not continue with it?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
You lot must go skiing when it's really warm.

I've needed a proper ski jacket and ski / snow boarding trousers many times as the temps have been -40!

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Also gloves are important if you are planning on going to the aloes during the winter. If your fingers and toes gets cold you are fucked and you'll have a really bad time. I have a pair of Hestra gloves and they'll kick the shit out most other gloves. So don't feel bad for buying a proper pair of gloves. Having wet and cold fingers will just end your day quickly.

Also get a pair of cheap boot-warmers so you wake up with either warm and dry boots/gloves. Makes a world's difference whether you are gonna have a shit day are a great day

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You lot must go skiing when it's really warm.

I've needed a proper ski jacket and ski / snow boarding trousers many times as the temps have been -40!

-40 where have you been skiing? The fucking arctic ?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Same here, cham and val disere, i always use a helmet for boarding because ibe nearly knocked myself out s few times, never hit my head once on skis, never use poles either, you learn better balance without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom