Politics Scottish Independance.....Thoughts?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
David Bowie wants Scotland to stay.

Well, that's me convinced.
He's just worried that his Brit award won't mean anything if Scotland leaves...

Corran

Part of the furniture
I posted this on my Facebook and one of my family members actually posted that the person must be an idiot because the government can stay in the pound if they want too.
LOL, im dreading the vote tbh. If it goes YES due to the fucking kids being allowed to vote (only reason being they easier to pursuade as they dont know better) then serious need to decide if I will continue to live in scotland. Too many clueless people, including those in charge of the YES campaign.... and it be interesting to see if there be any legal process that can be pushed to force a re-vote given the blatent lies coming from the SNP on most topics (EU membership, pound, national debts etc).

Going to put the link on my facebook though (rarely use it and sod all scottish people on it) for the wife to share. Be intersting to see the stupid comments that arise from that

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
There's plenty of unsubstantiated BS coming from opponents of Yes as well.

soze

I am a FH squatter
There's plenty of unsubstantiated BS coming from opponents of Yes as well.
But if you actually want an Independent Scotland would you not want Salmond as far away from it as possible. He has no idea how to back up half of what he is saying. He could set the independence movement back years by fucking it up this time around.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
That's the message that Yes are trying to get out there: you're not voting for Salmond / SNP and eventually we'll vote in the party of choice.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Ive posted before about the possibility of a kind of civil war in Scotland over this and I noticed a mainstream article about it going the same way as the Ukraine...you end up with the battle lines actually being supported by much greater political forces.
An independent Scotland would be very divided indeed.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
This continues to amuse me and make me feel sad at the same time. The No campaigners trying to sow as much fear as possible, the yes campaigners basically playing on hatred of the English, which if you think about it is actually racism.

Neither side is particularly covering themselves in glory as its pretty much a kiddy-fight to see who can spit on each other the hardest. Its just this time the stakes are a bit higher than in the school playground.

Regardless of whether the vote goes yes or no there's a cost because both sides have been so venomous the divide gets increased.

Corran

Part of the furniture
And the SNP making claims that it reason to allow them to keep the Pound. But if they move south of the boarder then it doesnt matter to the rest of the UK, only hurts Scotland. lol

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Really? Didn't seem that interesting to me. Constitutions are always subject to the imperfections of the language they are written in and the time in which they are written (Witness the "right to bear arms..." for an example of that, and Articles 2 & 3 of the Irish constitution for another). I also found the idea that a constitution would somehow make the City of London more accountable highly amusing; its worked really well on Wall Street after all...

If anything, in the modern era, a codified constitution is probably even less fit for purpose than it was 200 years ago; the pace of change means such a document is either so generic that its not worth framing in the first place, or if it has any complexity its playing catchup to reality all the time, (one reason why the EU constitution fell apart before it was even ratified, it was out of step with its constituents before they'd even finished drafting the giant dog's breakfast and no-one actually understood it).

The other problem is that most constitutions haven't actually been democratic in the first place. Certainly not the US one.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I also found the idea that a constitution would somehow make the City of London more accountable highly amusing; its worked really well on Wall Street after all...

Fed's unconstitutional, never ratified correctly ;)

But that aside, the freedom of speech rules codified in the US constituion have seen many a victory for the little guy over the big guy that could never happen over here.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
wtf lads!

you allready had this discussion.. multiple times, you even made a movie!
You should make a arangement, every even year you are married, the unevens you are not!

tadaaaa.. now lets roll Highlander and make 4th realm?:<

mel-gibson-braveheart.jpg

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
.. and it be interesting to see if there be any legal process that can be pushed to force a re-vote given the blatent lies coming from the SNP on most topics (EU membership, pound, national debts etc)

Politicians and blatant lies, if it could be proved! They are generally clever in the wording so as not be an absolute lie. Bit like Heineken, probably the best larger in world.

I honestly hope they do vote yes, in ten years they will be broke and begging to come back. Spoken to a few Scots and it seams all the older people understand it will be a nightmare but the younger generation including uni students seem to think it will be great. SNP riding the Nationalism wave and probably heading for disaster.

I can imagine shipbuilders will be campaigning to take over the BASE work in Glasgow and move that all south. Faselane subs would be forced to move. There are no positives for the UK Government to keep any of the bases active with joint forces. Politically they would have to move everything south and let Scotland go it alone. This is just hilarious Joint force but no nukes! Why would UK sign up for that, it's a dream.

Unless given special status or EU affiliation imports to remaining UK may be an issue tax wise.

DaGaffer

Politicians and blatant lies, if it could be proved! They are generally clever in the wording so as not be an absolute lie. Bit like Heineken, probably the best larger in world.

I honestly hope they do vote yes, in ten years they will be broke and begging to come back. Spoken to a few Scots and it seams all the older people understand it will be a nightmare but the younger generation including uni students seem to think it will be great. SNP riding the Nationalism wave and probably heading for disaster.

I can imagine shipbuilders will be campaigning to take over the BASE work in Glasgow and move that all south. Faselane subs would be forced to move. There are no positives for the UK Government to keep any of the bases active with joint forces. Politically they would have to move everything south and let Scotland go it alone. This is just hilarious Joint force but no nukes! Why would UK sign up for that, it's a dream.

Unless given special status or EU affiliation imports to remaining UK may be an issue tax wise.

If it happens, there'll be no "begging to come back", even if they were all eating each other and setting fire to Edinburgh castle to keep warm.

To be honest, I'm sure they can make an independent Scotland work, I just don't necessarily think it will be a better Scotland than the one they have already, and the stuff being swept under the carpet currently is going to be a source of real difficulty going forward. I also think that if Salmond etc believe currency union is a given, the Westminster response has to be, "well, we'll let the UK electorate decide that". If we were going to be given a referendum on the Euro, how is this any different? And we all know what the English vote would be.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
After talking to some 'educated' Scottish people who I play DOTA with, I figured the reason for independence for them, is nothing but selfishness, not even because 'they want FREEEEEEEDOM'

In a nut shell, it seems they don't like the Tory Government, and don't like the democracy that we have.. Sorry lads, it's called a democracy for a reason, and they reckon, from their words, because of the booming 'advanced' industries in Scotland, and the North Sea Oil, Scotland will be a much richer country per person, than the rest of the UK.

So basically, the rest of the UK has stuck out with what shit we've had over the past few years and now in their minds, they want to break away and leave the rest of England to melt and they don't give a fuck.

DaGaffer

After talking to some 'educated' Scottish people who I play DOTA with, I figured the reason for independence for them, is nothing but selfishness, not even because 'they want FREEEEEEEDOM'

In a nut shell, it seems they don't like the Tory Government, and don't like the democracy that we have.. Sorry lads, it's called a democracy for a reason, and they reckon, from their words, because of the booming 'advanced' industries in Scotland, and the North Sea Oil, Scotland will be a much richer country per person, than the rest of the UK.

So basically, the rest of the UK has stuck out with what shit we've had over the past few years and now in their minds, they want to break away and leave the rest of England to melt and they don't give a fuck.

I don't think that's unreasonable. People look to their own economic well-being and so if the argument about independence was purely economic, then fair play, off you go Scotland. The problem is that the economic argument isn't actually true. If all the things fall into place the way the fishy twins say they will, then happy days and free Ferraris for everyone in skirtland. Problem is that an awful lot of those things are actually out of Scotland's control, like the EU and the currency, and the SNP aren't being honest about that.

leggy

Probably Scottish
free Ferraris for everyone in skirtland

After the initial laugh, this filled me with more fear than the independence itself.

Can you imagine the devastation? Road Traffic fatalities up by 10000% and the rest dying from alcohol poisoning after selling their Ferrari for Booze.

I'm reasonably patriotic, that's why I live in England.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not to mention they would have to take their share of debt. It wouldn't go down well for them if they refused. Any Mickey Mouse currency they come up with would be instantly junked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom