Politics Scottish Independance.....Thoughts?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Working class areas 70% turnout...the rest 90%.
20% thought someone would just do it for them.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Or maybe they saw that absolutely nothing would change for "working" (lazy) class people, their handouts would continue virtually unchanged.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I am curious what happens to the SNP now since it's almost like the entire reason their party existed is now void.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
For the next 2 years they'll no doubt argue that the increased form of devolution that has been promised is not sufficient, and attempt to turn the evil English politicians failure to meet their every desire into justification for another referendum.

Sadly ... some form of suicide pact in the event of failure would have been the honourable thing to do!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I am curious what happens to the SNP now since it's almost like the entire reason their party existed is now void.

Not really Scotland still isn't independent so their goal continues, if Scotland did become independent then they might have to reassess their stated goals :p

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not really Scotland still isn't independent so their goal continues, if Scotland did become independent then they might have to reassess their stated goals :p
But they discounted another vote for a generation. So they become irrelevant till then

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Interesting, at a glance map of where voted how and by how much...

7HleaJJ.png

...and @Big G spotted after the announcement... :(

esNTSWL.jpg

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Anyone fancy making a tl;dr version of this thread? I cba to read it all and I'm not interested in the topic in all honesty, but it's just about the only active thread on the forum these days.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Anyone fancy making a tl;dr version of this thread? I cba to read it all and I'm not interested in the topic in all honesty, but it's just about the only active thread on the forum these days.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

No.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Now that this is over.

Isn't a 50% target a really bad idea? Winning by one vote would mean that 1.8 Million people live under a rule they didn't want, and 1.8 dont?

Surly it should have been set at 60 or 70% ?

I've always felt like this about it, simply because if Yes got 51% of the vote, that would still be under half of the total people eligible to vote. Although Yes got 45% of the vote, it was only ~37% of the actual registered voters.

I'm still amazed by the turnout - when was a 75% turnout (Glasgow) last considered to be low? Normal service will undoubtedly be resumed in May, when the only question in (far too) many areas of Scotland is the size of the labour majority.

The thing with Glasgow (and Dundee) was that these were SNP hot seats where a Yes majority was expected, yet 25% of people in Glasgow didn't even bother voting. 1 in 3 in Glasgow is unemployed, it's the most poverty stricken part of Scotland, and it's incredibly frustrating that voter apathy was still present.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I am still glad so many people voted and would love that sort of turnout in general elections.

I am also glad Scotland chose to remain part of the UK, together we are both much stronger. I also hope that together we can shake up our useless leaders and make them work for us rather than the other way around, sadly though I don't think the momentum will continue, voter apathy will kick in and the next election will have a pathetic turn out. Enforced voting imo and add the option of none of the above to the ballot paper.

I will be having a couple of whiskies tonight in celebration.

Poag

m00?
I've always felt like this about it, simply because if Yes got 51% of the vote, that would still be under half of the total people eligible to vote. Although Yes got 45% of the vote, it was only ~37% of the actual registered voters.

I was wondering what the actual % was for registered voters, rather than actually voted....

old.user4556

7HleaJJ.png

I think that can be summed up as:

- Yes voters are in areas with most poverty.
- The more well off areas were No.

In general:

- Look at the striking difference between East Renfrewshire (7) and Glasgow City (8). East Renfrewshire is a) a Scottish Tory heartland b) mahoosive houses c) rich Jews.
- In addition, the commuters that earn all the money in Glasgow live outside the city centre in (7) and (3).
- Land owners and farmers close to England rejected a Yes vote.
- Orkney and Sheltand don't like Salmond or the SNP. They're sitting on a shitload of untapped black gold, and they don't want that fat pie taking their oil revenues and spending it on lazy bastards in Glasgow.
- Edinburgh was a strong No, to be expected since it's the financial capital (see above about wealth and No).
- Aberdeen also a strong No for the same reasons.

Gwadien

It's a democracy though innit, that's how it operates, if you don't vote, your opinion doesn't count.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I think that can be summed up as:

- Yes voters are in areas with most poverty.
- The more well off areas were No.

In general:

- Look at the striking difference between East Renfrewshire (7) and Glasgow City (8). East Renfrewshire is a) a Scottish Tory heartland b) mahoosive houses c) rich Jews.
- In addition, the commuters that earn all the money in Glasgow live outside the city centre in (7) and (3).
- Land owners and farmers close to England rejected a Yes vote.
- Orkney and Sheltand don't like Salmond or the SNP. They're sitting on a shitload of untapped black gold, and they don't want that fat pie taking their oil revenues and spending it on lazy bastards in Glasgow.
- Edinburgh was a strong No, to be expected since it's the financial capital (see above about wealth and No).
- Aberdeen also a strong No for the same reasons.
Why did the ones near the border vote so strongly in the No? Simply because they feel more united because they're closer to the rest of the UK?

Also, why is East Renfrewshire south of Renfrewshire?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.

What I found very interesting was the fact a lot of the places with the largest NO votes were those with SNP MP's. There was no correlation between general elections results and the referendum.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He can go back to his ivory tower now.

Job

Talking to a Hungarian bloke today...we wandered onto Scotland and I said all the politicians are assholes...he said compared to Hungary all our officials are like angels...you have the best and still you moan.

old.user4556

Why did the ones near the border vote so strongly in the No? Simply because they feel more united because they're closer to the rest of the UK?

A lot of the chat last night was how the Scottish Borders have very strong ties to Cumbria and Northumberland both in personal relationships and business. There's a sense of "Britishness" in the Borders, they've always been strong Tory seats in the past and I can only surmise that they simply didn't want to break up any of that shared unity.

Job

In time honoured fashion I presume the Queen will have Salmonds children tortured to death.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
well he can be done for Treason now can't he, although theoretically so can David Cameron as he didnt send the army in to quash this rebellion but tried to appease them!

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Alex Salmond has resigned!
The only minor downside to this being his current deputy is possibly the only Scottish politician even more annoying than he is.

If the SNP decide to have her take over the leadership they'll be in real trouble.

Gwadien

Russia calling corruption?

Okay mates.

The only minor downside to this being his current deputy is possibly the only Scottish politician even more annoying than he is.

If the SNP decide to have her take over the leadership they'll be in real trouble.

As soon as it started to turn into a No vote, she was saying she'd do anything in her power to ensure that devolution is gonna happen - as I said in a previous post, it's like they're taking the Independence-Salmond mask off, and gonna put on a Sturgeon(maybe)-Mega-Devolution mask on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom