Politics Scottish Independance.....Thoughts?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
It now remains to be seen (if there is no wild last minute swing to Yes) If the main parties will actually deliver their promises, if they follow usual politician path of not doing so I wouldn't be surprised to see another referendum again within the next decade, especially if SNP remain in charge

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
It now remains to be seen (if there is no wild last minute swing to Yes) If the main parties will actually deliver their promises, if they follow usual politician path of not doing so I wouldn't be surprised to see another referendum again within the next decade, especially if SNP remain in charge

And they won't keep their promises, polticians never do, they may deliver some of it but nowhere near what they promised.

Corran

Part of the furniture
well thats it over.

edit:
well basically unless the 3 remaining all vote yes!

Be months before this goes away, however im glad in the end it a much bigger gap then predicted recently as it means any fraud that was involved by whatever sides shouldnt have affected it much at all.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Aberdeenshire - 60% No, 40% Yes
Edinburgh - 61% No, 39% Yes
Argyll & Bute - 59% No, 41% Yes

It's a No vote! The United Kingdom stays!

Corran

Part of the furniture
Thats it official now with fife vote in..time to sleep :D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Fife - WHO CARES

IT'S 100% OFFICIAL! IT'S ALL OVER!

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
im glad they stayed but part of me is sorry they didnt go, would of been interesting to watch the fallout :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just woke up, looked at the vote map...so when is Glasgow going to declare itself an independent republic then?

Mabs

how long before they can try again ? i presume there is some sort of time-limit before it can be tabled again ?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Very pleased with the result and also a huge bonus to see Salmonds childhood dream in tatters.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
how long before they can try again ? i presume there is some sort of time-limit before it can be tabled again ?

When Quebec did it there was a 15 year gap between the first and second referendum (because it costs a fucking fortune), so I'd expect a decade at least. Unless of course all the fuckwits down south decide to pull out of Europe in three years time. That would open it all up again.

Mabs

When Quebec did it there was a 15 year gap between the first and second referendum (because it costs a fucking fortune), so I'd expect a decade at least. Unless of course all the fuckwits down south decide to pull out of Europe in three years time. That would open it all up again.

aah ok i assumed there was a legal minimum to stop people spamming it till they get the result they want

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Salmond did say no referndum in a generation..but that was just piling the pressure on the yes voters.
Thank the lord common sense triumphed..all this English bashing is just bolaks...the people making the money and jobs work across the border without a second thought.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Yay! Sort of, well I wanted a yes vote I wanted a big smelly fuck you to London but meh, I kind of had a feeling it would go this way. There is going to be some dummy spitting I reckon.

How do feel my FH Jock chums? Is this what you wanted? Your side of things would be interesting seeing as it is generally sensible...............:D

Can England now get free Uni and prescriptions like Scotland :D

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
http://news.sky.com/story/1338424/scotland-votes-no-pm-promises-new-powers

Good interactive map of how the voting went. with the Stats on voting age and economics of the area.

Why do I somehow feel ever so slightly disappointed? Probably because it would have changed politics hugely but I still think the cost would have been too high and risky in the long term.

I liked the PM's speech a few mins ago.
  • He said work would start on a "full and fair settlement for all of the UK" in what will clearly be a shift towards a more federalist UK. Timetable is to have the changes laid out by Nov and in implementation to start by Jan. Very aggressive schedule and likely to slide somewhat.
  • Mr Cameron said the new powers he, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband had promised the Scottish people in the dying days of the referendum campaign would be "honoured in full". But he unveiled a substantial shake-up of powers for the whole of the UK suggesting new powers for Wales and Northern Ireland and greater influence for England's MPs over English law.
Looks like a more federalist setup is incoming. English having more power over how their tax money is spent is likely not good for the rest. The so called subsidies. Will have to wait and see how that pans out.

Job

Time for England to get out of this southern mentality..we need to start pushing up into Scotland to keep that no vote up...hugely important area of UK basically ignored.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
This makes the snp a bit redundant now then. Perhaps they will get voted out next time and labour will get in again

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Fjdshegegssjdhe

Damn phone editing piece of crap phone :p

FCMawkb.jpg

Job

Lol at media reports of violence...one guy got arrested.
That must have been the least violent night of any day of the year in the history of the world.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I want an English referendum now.

Poag

m00?
Now that this is over.

Isn't a 50% target a really bad idea? Winning by one vote would mean that 1.8 Million people live under a rule they didn't want, and 1.8 dont?

Surly it should have been set at 60 or 70% ?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Surprised by the number of folks that appear to have watched the coverage of this overnight - it really wasnt particularly close at all, and the result looks pretty much in line with what has been expected since the referendum was first announced.

I'm still amazed by the turnout - when was a 75% turnout (Glasgow) last considered to be low? Normal service will undoubtedly be resumed in May, when the only question in (far too) many areas of Scotland is the size of the labour majority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom