Saddest story I've ever heard..

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Bugz, you aren't experienced in those things. You haven't done those things, so you aren't experienced in them. You have been educated about those things. There is a difference.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Bugz, you aren't experienced in those things. You haven't done those things, so you aren't experienced in them. You have been educated about those things. There is a difference.

Exactly.

I for one, have been told how nuclear bombs work and what goes into making them, but, you don't see me building one.

Why? Because certain things would hit the certain spinning thing faster then you can say ....

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Whatever.

Carry on as you are.

I can't be arsed w/ this waste of time shit talking.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
fuck off and lock your self in a room with a mini fridge then, cry baby :(

tris-

I am more experienced than you re; higher education in terms of employment, degrees etc.

probasbly not, since a)ive had 3 years of working IRL and b)im in 3rd yr of uni, while youre still at school.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Whatever.

Carry on as you are.

I can't be arsed w/ this waste of time shit talking.

Exactly a problem.

Everytime someone tells you something that doesn't fit your view of world, even i a helpful manner, you dismiss it and go into "pout mode".

Chronictank

FH is my second home
To be honest, because I have had first hand info passed down to me by people who have experienced it first hand, I am more experienced than you re; higher education in terms of employment, degrees etc.

unless they are taking the piss you are taking what they said and misinterpreting what they have told you, deliberately or otherwise

The ONLY thing a oxbridge education gives you over other good uni's is
a) the prestige, it gives a good advantage to get into further education rather than employment. DO well and you pretty much have the pick of masters and phd courses
b) the contacts you make while you study there, particularly your placement
Thats it

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'll leave it to someone else to decipher the point.

The point is you are middle aged at 16. You will have a massive mid life crises when you get to your 40s wondering why on earth you didn't do more with your life.

Not to say you should do things you aren't comfortable with but at least try to enjoy your teens, go wild a bit, wake up in a few ditches. Its the most important time of your life where you learn important people skills that will help you in your later life.

You will end up in the same place when you are 40 but you will probably have far more people to enjoy it with.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Tbh, a small majority of people here are in any position to talk about this anyway.

So I'll leave it from here on :)

How do you come across a small majority, it's either a majority or it isn't. Small would be >50% in this case. Doesn't seem that small to me.

Although the arguments here haven't necessarily been expressed in an effective manner there's definitely truth in many arguments; going to the higher-tier Uni's will put you in touch with the right people & companies.

Being a person with the right attitude and commitment no matter what your qualifications will ofc glean success if you're motivated enough. This particularly true for people who have a knack for something.

Let's all live by this axiom, I'd love to have this up in my office if I was an employer to motivate my staff:

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
unless they are taking the piss you are taking what they said and misinterpreting what they have told you, deliberately or otherwise

The ONLY thing a oxbridge education gives you over other good uni's is
a) the prestige, it gives a good advantage to get into further education rather than employment. DO well and you pretty much have the pick of masters and phd courses
b) the contacts you make while you study there, particularly your placement
Thats it

But we aren't talking about just good universities. People on this thread seem to assume that

a) a course is a course, at what uni you do it at
b) as long as you have a first, you are sorted.

Both are not true. I know/heard of a fair amount of graduates for economics, who come from mid-ranked universities who have a VERY hard time entering the profession for well-regarded companies.

Simply put, high ranking universities (top 10 - even the top 5 to be strict) offer a more regarded course, a greater reputation/prestige and more ties with prospective employers. Even if these ties aren't entirely available, a top university will still offer prestige and reputation, which are critical.

For economics, if an employer has to pick between Oxford or an LSE Candidate and say, Newcastle or Aberdeen Candidate, an employer is more likely to pick the Oxford/LSE candidate. Why?

- it's harder to get into those universities, which means that the candidates on offer are the best of the best - both academically, socially and in terms of extra-curric. etc.

- the standard of teaching is likely to be higher. Economics and other related degrees do most of the theory-based work in university and rarely reach into practical minus placements. The result? The employer will want the one who is best at the job - theoretically based since practical is less pronounced.

- that student is simply likely to be better than an Aberdeen or Newscastle student. Both will be coming out of uni at the same age, with the same qualification (but not of the same quality), and roughly the same topic-choices. Thus, university rankings, quality and reputation help to distinguish between those with a degree, and those with a good degree.

That is my take on it and it has been built up from a list of resources, and a lot from opinions taking from Economics Graduates. I don't know how it goes for shit like Chemistry, because I don't do them - but considering a lot of blue-chip companies are economics-based, this information does hold some relevance.

Lastly, I'd like to ask people who don't perhaps know much about this, to not pounce about your opinions and feel you know it. Because a) life has changed a lot since many of you attended universities and b) unless you have applied to top universities or are going to, your perspective is somewhat misled by not grasping how it truly works at the top.

Just as a finishing note, the application success rate for an Oxford Economics student is 12%. The success rates for mid-ranked courses are ~50%. Tell me - which is going to have the better candidates?

tris-

but surely if people like you goto these prestige universities, its just gonna be full of...

people like you?

that does not sound appealing in the slightest.

1000s of 'know it all' 40 yr old teenagers.

PASS.

what proof do you have that someone will be better from your uber leet uni?
oh yeh, you went to a power point.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
As I said Tris - please leave discussions to the people who know what they are talking about.

Thanks.

tris-

i guess you should fuck off then, as you clearly have no idea.

you went to a power point, sat in a lecture, spoke to someone and now youre an expert?

WRONG

all these things tell you is how it works if it goes perfectly. you have no experience of anything.

like people have said, go into the real world first, then you can call your self an expert.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Tris, out of curiosity, what university and course are you studying?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
like people have said, go into the real world first, then you can call your self an expert.

Are you for real?

I've spoken/read about more economics graduates than you have brain cells. Granted that could be about 2-3 at the min. but still!

When will you get it into your thick head that your ideas/views are obviously wrong/outdated. The fact you seem to think a first is a first for every university shows how clueless you are.

tris-

Tris, out of curiosity, what university and course are you studying?

university of teesside

forensic investigation and consumer law.

youll find its one of 3.
accreditted by the trading standards institute.
course leader is one of the top bods in the industry. he knows everyone. he wrote a book for the food standards agency. he helped one of the new countries integrate into the EU.
actually they even used one of the floors in the 10 story building to build a metrology lab just for us.

why does any of this matter?

the uni its self is one of the best places to study forensic sciences, i believes its got the best facility in the country.

i chose it cos its 3 miles away.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
heh, I didn't go to Uni and I am as happy as a pig in shit earning far more than most that did go :)

Not that I believe money equals a happy life, friends, family and memories equal a happy life imo

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
If you applied to a university of which there are only 2 more which do your course how in sweet fuck can you have ANY IDEA about blue chip companies, university graduates and university choices.

Seriously...

tris-

yeh, uni is worth it for the booze and the tits alone though.
if you fuck it up, you can probably still get a decent enough job.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
heh, I didn't go to Uni and I am as happy as a pig in shit earning far more than most that did go :)

Not that I believe money equals a happy life, friends, family and memories equal a happy life imo

I know a lot of people who are happy and did not go to uni.

It's entirely Dependant on individuals to be honest. My mates' dad is a builder, didn't even go higher education and was (before the recession atleast) living on a good 40-50k a year.

Don't get me wrong. I am not slating those who don't go to university. Some courses don't even require it.

What I am triyng to put straight is the mismatch of information held by people on this forum about things they don't even know much about.

tris-

If you applied to a university of which there are only 2 more which do your course how in sweet fuck can you have ANY IDEA about blue chip companies, university graduates and university choices.

Seriously...

when did i say anything about blue chip companies?

you keep spouting all this bull shit, WHICH DOES NOT MATTER IN THE REAL WORLD.

university, college, tescos, its not real world. goto university and even the fucking tutors will tell you that.

by the way, why dont you get a clue? its one of only 3 because the institute has only accredited 3 unis out of the whole country. so surely, my uni is better than oxford for the course?

I WIN AT REAL WORLD\

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
This whole fuckin conversation is about blue-chip companies and university graduates!

Its what I am fuckin arguing about.

Are you blind or just stupid?

I won't even bother anymore Tris. Just shut up seriously :(

tris-

neither.

the whole thing is you seem to think what you hear at a power point slide show is how real life works.

its not. can ytou understand that? the shit you get told is if things go perfectly well. the perfect outcome of your work. you seem to be saying the perfect outcome will always happen.

that aint the real world.

omg just like, shut up omg, im sulking

omg :(

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Tris, take a look at this:

Bugzy said:
Try getting into a blue-chip company without any qualifications and a nice friendly smile.

I dare you.

Then at your response:

Tris said:
who said anything about no qualifications?

academia and working as a shelf stacker is not the real world, its not even scraping the edges of it, no matter what people will have you believe.

Why are you even replying to a post made about BLUE-CHIP COMPANIES if you are not arguing about BLUE-CHIP COMPANIES.

The fact of the matter is - I am more educated about you in regards to blue-chip companies, uni graduates and university choices - especially for economics.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This whole fuckin conversation is about blue-chip companies and university graduates!

No it's not, it's what YOU, again, think it's about 'cause it fits your world.

It's about lacking life experience and any basis to say about the real world outside mommy care.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Look how many fuckin times I have mentioned blue chip in this fuckin thread.

My fuckin god...

Chronictank

FH is my second home
But we aren't talking about just good universities. People on this thread seem to assume that

Just as a finishing note, the application success rate for an Oxford Economics student is 12%. The success rates for mid-ranked courses are ~50%. Tell me - which is going to have the better candidates?

The thing is, the degree is meaninless regardless where it is from unless you are going into further education. I can all but garuntee that to you
Tris is correct in that respect regarding employment

So why go to the better uni's?
Simple, they put you in the better placements, and everyone knows this
Thats why they look better on the students, because they are very likely to be in a reputable place for work experience (and where the prestige comes in, it is nothing to do with the uni it is the fact that the students in that uni are sent to good places)
Put simply;
Go to a good uni, get a good placement (usually with a blue hcip company who you normally end up doing at least a short stint with when you finish), come out with a good job

Go to a rubbish uni, get a rubbish placement, you look less appealing to a potential employer

Why do the better uni's get the better placements? because by default the students are generally brighter

So you are correct, going to oxford increases your chances
however it is nothing to do with the degree itself or the standard of teaching.
If you can get in good for you, you are set to be fast tracked into the big names
if you dont then you just have to stand out and be placed in the tight competition for the better spots in a mid league uni

Ironicaly it is quite easy to get into a blue chip company as a contractor (Deutsche Bank and Reuters for example outsource most of their jobs) if you do a good job and get along with the managers it is very easy to go up the ladder then eventually get a permanant post :p
Well it was anyway until reuters got sold to thompson now they are absorbing it all into the thompson group and filling posts with their own, hm i am not sure if that is public.
Edit: ah good it is

aika

Can't get enough of FH
Can someone enlighten a non-uk citizen what A Levels are?
I finished 12 years of school, passed the matriculation exams (those are end of school exams on all subjects you studied and 2-3 of your choice) with okish+ grades.
To get into a uni I had to do a psychometric exam (which is like an IQ test, but it included local language/math/geometry and english language skills and no shapes etc), got a pretty high grade on that, now in 2 months I'm going to start my first year of uni, taking a computer science degree.

so those A-levels are like end of school exams or what?

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
a-levels are the "same" as the international baccalaureate.
in theory the ib is better than a-levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom