Rift: Planes of Telara

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
If I still played Rift I'd join up in a second, best guild recruitment evar!

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Heh - the Team American recruit message could get me to join up in an instance if I were still playing Rift.... perhaps I should resub just for that :D

gohan

FH is my second home
i personally like the firefly refference, i know all the word to "a man called jayne"

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Wish I had time to play this :( 3 month old baby = no mmo for daddy :D

gohan

FH is my second home
Wish I had time to play this :( 3 month old baby = no mmo for daddy :D

i bought it this week as i had a £10 amazon certificate the expiring soon

it's basicly a carbon copy or warhammer

even the pvp scenarios are tiered and set out teh same way even including relics that damage you the longer you hold them and first to 500 points ect ect

same abilities and cool down, rage bars have been replaced by attack points but same princible, it's less cartooney but plays the same

even have public quests that come in stages and the more you contribute the more reward you get ect

you buy your training ect

tho 1 aspect that is diff and is quite kool is you chose 1 of 4 classes then each class has 8 subclasses of which u can train 3, it has the same tree's ect for speccing in but u unlock abilities when you spend points in a certain tree as well as w/e you buy

overall it's very ... ok.... nothing special nothing new, pvp so far has been messy uncoordinated and shit

guess no1 will ever have that same refined pvp as daoc

such a shame

it mayaswell be called warhammer 2

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Actually all the damn games bar GW2 are CC of each others, tis one got the Rift idea which it was nice while leveling for the 1st wave and the 3 Soul system which got overpowered asap by smarter peeps (but it was a nice idea).

Best start i ever witnessed bug and overall game playability wise so far tho.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Best start i ever witnessed bug and overall game playability wise so far tho.

Yep, ignoring class balancing and server overpopulation, this was by far and away the smoothest launch i've ever seen.

And i've tried pretty much every single MMO except EvE at launch since DAoC.

I mean, Rift had better playability at launch then most MMO's do after a year..

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
and wow had one of the worst, but it's still #1 in amount of peeople playing it. I think people care way too much about bugs, ok bugfree games are nice, but it's not what is absolutely required for games to succeed.

what you really need is to be able to have peeople always trying to get sthing.

do you believe daoc would have such a huge success if there wasnt this endless grind festival for realm ranks ?

people would say that it has no end game. farm farm farm farm is the key, and if it's through pvp it's even better for us.

that's why wow's pvp is bad, cause if u are a good player u get the gear asap, and then u have nothing to do, and then u have to w8 for next season and start from 0 again and finish quick asap.

that's why pvp players dont stay in wow, there is not enough pvp farming to do. endless realm rank farming that doesnt get resetted is the way to go.

Starman

Part of the furniture
Trion are now offering free 7 day trials from referrals from existing players.

So if anyone wants to give it a try - Clicky click.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
do you believe daoc would have such a huge success if there wasnt this endless grind festival for realm ranks ?

Back in the day RR's were just a scoreboard, nothing what so ever came with it other then bragging rights. No RA's, no bonus skill points, nothing.

Memory is a tad vague but i cant remember hearing much whining about it, ppl were to occupied having fun to whine about crap issues like that.

Only reason we ended up getting RA's anyway is because they were planned from the beginning, it just took them almost a year to implement.

gohan

FH is my second home
Back in the day RR's were just a scoreboard, nothing what so ever came with it other then bragging rights. No RA's, no bonus skill points, nothing.

Memory is a tad vague but i cant remember hearing much whining about it, ppl were to occupied having fun to whine about crap issues like that.

Only reason we ended up getting RA's anyway is because they were planned from the beginning, it just took them almost a year to implement.

in that first year tho people were ambling to 50 and getting to grips with the game/grp set ups ect ect so no1 really cared (i assume, i didnt play till SI)

no way would it of survived untill now without RA's ect tho

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well not really, yes 50 were a goal sure, but very very few were really in any rush to get there.

I think average 1- 50 were 20 - 30 days /played or somesuch, ppl were just focusing on having fun, and ppl started rvr'ing at around lvl 20.

The whole attitude towards MMO's were so incredibly laid back at that time you just can't compare it.

Back then, fun > progress, now progress is the only thing that matters, and it's really really sad.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Almost daily we've got people cancelling subs on WoW and coming over to Rift. I've stopped spamming recruitment nonsense on the various channels in case someone actually joins.

gohan

FH is my second home
where shard/faction are you on roo? i could use a guild to numb the bordem but i doubt you're on whitefall defiant? xD

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
We're playing Guardian on Sparkwing, PvE server. Be warned that PvP is non-existant outside of warfronts but other than that its a decent (albeit small) community.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Back then, fun > progress, now progress is the only thing that matters, and it's really really sad.

As someone who has stopped playing MMOs now, taking stock on my time playing them I can honestly say you couldn't be more right with this. Ever since DAoC I, and the people I play(ed) with, strived to be the 'best' (however you quantify that) in every MMO I played. This essentialy meant sucking out all the fun by power-gaming every new MMO that came out and quitting within the first few months. Stupid, looking back on it. :)

Oh well! Life is so much better now I'm not hardcore gaming. Ha.

Genedril

Part of the furniture

Them were the days - I'd happily go out and ping things with my ranger (which was rr5 before it was 50) and no one gave a monkeys about RA's. It was just about the fun of PvP or the fun of defending the realm.

Problem is DAoC changed and people wanted to have the uberist gear for no effort and RA's became less a badge of honour and more about Iwin abilities. When that happened everyone wanted them so they increased the RP's gained per kill making it less of an achievement.

Bring back the days when you had to give up things in templates to gain other things (that's the point of min/max the point is not max/max) and bring back the old realm point system where you didn't get 1k rp's for killing random nubin no. 9. That'd require a reset of the servers though :9.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I quite liked RAs, when they first came in they added a lot more depth. Obviously some of them were retarded...and some still are. On the whole I think they added a lot to the game.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
I quite liked RAs, when they first came in they added a lot more depth. Obviously some of them were retarded...and some still are. On the whole I think they added a lot to the game.

I've nothing against RA's per se, just that like everyone having maxed gear they've made it easier for everyone to get.

I think you should have to work for your gear and RA's and it should be hard. All this make PvE easy/give RPs for taking keeps/give more rps per kill is not what I think is good. Makes it more like Sims with easy and frequent gratifications to keep you playing as opposed to to the challenge and working hard to achieve something making it thing that keeps you playing.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
As someone who has stopped playing MMOs now, taking stock on my time playing them I can honestly say you couldn't be more right with this.

That is more about the gamer than the game, though. I think you'll find there are plenty of gamers who don't have to be 'the best' in MMO's. Any gametype can be ruined by having the wrong approach to it, like most things in life.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
That is more about the gamer than the game, though. I think you'll find there are plenty of gamers who don't have to be 'the best' in MMO's. Any gametype can be ruined by having the wrong approach to it, like most things in life.

Don't think you really got it :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
being playing this a couple of weeks and getting tired of it, the quest system is fucking boring as hell, just seems to promote soloing

Turamber

Part of the furniture
being playing this a couple of weeks and getting tired of it, the quest system is fucking boring as hell, just seems to promote soloing

Don't know about this. You get a big xp boost for being in a group and there are a number of group quests as you get to the higher levels, which you can even find help for using the looking for group tool.

Did a guild run in Deepmines the other day with two level 45's yet everyone else got plenty of xp.

What the new generation of games do is give you viable options for soloing, they are all casual friendly and don't require you to have a second life in game to get something back from the game.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
What the new generation of games do is give you viable options for soloing, they are all casual friendly and don't require you to have a second life in game to get something back from the game.

More like, today's MMO's give you semi viable options for grouping for the "grind", but are basically single player games until you reach some of the end game.

Danita

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
What the new generation of games do is give you viable options for soloing,

No they whine because they had to work as a team to get anywhere and that it's taking them to damn long.

And since many of todays game developers ARE that sort of people, they obviously listen and scrap almost everything that needs a group to complete, only leaving a few side missions there to please those that still like them, but they are by no means a must do like in the "golden" days of MMO's.

That, and almost only that is why new MMO's fail. It takes ppl 3 - 4 days of dedicated gaming to reach max level and then have fuck all to do, grow bored and quit.

In my opinion, leveling up should be just as fun as playing the end game. Not something you rush past in a matter of days like in the most recent MMO releases.

Now that i think about it, it's probably partly that which makes WoW so popular. It's fun to level up there and it takes time and a certain amount of proper dedication.

EQ2 does the same, and even tho it's easier to PL in that game then in WoW it isn't that frequent.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
If WoW is an example of a game you prefer I'm quite happy to like a game you dislike. Shitfest of a game :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom