Rift: Planes of Telara

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
That looks quite interesting, their "class ascension" system looks pretty cool.

i might actually have to give this a go depending on how their pvp system looks ofc.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I did think the ascension seemed like wow talents, with a bit of extra fluff. It looks quite nice so will keep an eye out for this.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well, its similar i guess.

but not so much so that you instantly think "WoW rip off".

tbh i wish some game would rip off EQ2's skill system.

you get a basic version of a skill when you level up, and then have to craft the upgrades or loot them from boss mobs :)

that actually made dungeon crawling worth doing as the skills were good for ~10 levels, while the gear in most MMO's are outdated after 1 or 2 levels. :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
have had a few hours play in this game now.

got some mixed feelings here, the game looks great, is the most stable closed beta i've ever done with very very very few actual bugs.

but, there is a few major things that isn't exactly what i hoped.

Aada

Part of the furniture
have had a few hours play in this game now.

got some mixed feelings here, the game looks great, is the most stable closed beta i've ever done with very very very few actual bugs.

but, there is a few major things that isn't exactly what i hoped.

Heh yeah like what?

You can't just say that and leave us with nothing.

So is it that you don't like certain things about the game?

Or is it that there are things that are wrong mechanics wise?

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Just registered for the beta , the seriel code you only get that if you are accepted for the beta yea and how long you gotta wait ?

Also how big a dl is the client ?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
client is only 6.55 gig, and the DL servers are superb, i downloaded mine in about 10 minutes.

and about the things i don't quite like, there is a NDA so i cant go into any specifics.

1. there is a type of public quest spawning here and there (those of you that played WAR will get a general idea of what that is) that works kinda like aion rifts. so they can spawn right on your head and get you killed :)

2. the classes: (if you think DAoC have to many classes you aint seen nothing yet). they are quite a confusing mix and will be a fucking pain in the ass to balance both in pvp and in pve raids as there is iirc 40 odd "talent trees" divided around 4 base classes, and of which you can have up to 3 active at the same time. so you can and probably will end up with a massive raid where no two players share the same spec. so i wouldn't want to be a raid leader in this game ;)

thats really the only 2 things i have any real issues with, ofc were capped at level 20 and only one of the factions are playable (there are 2).

but with that said, if the game is as polished in the zones we are locked out of then they can easily release it tomorrow and not feel bad about it.

it actually does feel like a finished game.

Lorric

One of Freddy's beloved
1. there is a type of public quest spawning here and there (those of you that played WAR will get a general idea of what that is) that works kinda like aion rifts. so they can spawn right on your head and get you killed :)

theres a fair warning when the rifts come also most of them need to be activly torn open by players.

xomer

Can't get enough of FH
so as far as you can see, is it worth anything in order to dl it ?

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
there is a NDA so i cant go into any specifics.

2. the classes:

Do you mean the invasion quests mentioned in the latest video, and the class system they boast about in the self-same video here: RIFT - Enter the Rift?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
probably, havent watched that many of the videos so rather safe then sorry.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
so as far as you can see, is it worth anything in order to dl it ?

Have to try it for yourself really, now that i've tried it i probably wont try to get into any more betas. its a nice game but just not enough to pull me to it.

xomer

Can't get enough of FH
i tried to DL it yesterday but i had some problems and errors, dunno why.

ill try for it again today.

but as i saw from some forums etc, the game is good but something is missing.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yeah, something is missing, i just cant figure out what.

it *is* a good game, there's just something with it that doesn't appeal to me.

xomer

Can't get enough of FH
i played it yesterday.

it's a normal good game.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
yeah, something is missing, i just cant figure out what.

it *is* a good game, there's just something with it that doesn't appeal to me.

Aion was exactly the same for me tbh , waste of 50e the capital city looked great but just felt hollow and empty tbh , lack of lore ruins a game for me i love the daoc lore and how accurate it is sometimes ;)

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Just watched the video, and only 2 things for me stood out.

The 'guildies' spouting out how good the game is have thier own guild t-shirts. Does this mean I am no longer a geek? Has nerdom become that sad?

The second thing is the dude that says "You can have 3 souls, with 4 builds a soul. I'm not gonna do the math..." dude, that's 12. 3 multiplied by 4. It's 12. It's not difficult mathS.

But, impressions from that video... meh. It's very pretty, I like the idea of the rifts openeing anywhere, but 'next-gen'? really? From what I've been reading about Guild Wars 2, that seems closer to next-gen than Rift. (Although GW2 is a long way away, granted.)

Dunno, just seems kind of... dull and samey...

eksdee

FH is my second home
if any of you have a beta account, didn't like the game and are thus not planning to use it - i'd love to try this game! :)

i really like how the class system looks and i think the devs seem to be taking the game in an interesting direction. apparently this podcast has some interesting info: http://riftpodcast.com/Episode/riftpodcast24.mp3

but i can't check it out yet as i'm at work. friend said the first 4 mins is skip-worthy, but after that it gets really good.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Got into this weekends beta so I'll post some stuff later I guess.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
been BETAing it since it went into beta, loving it overall.

best comment ive seen so far, as someone in general said "its like EQ2 with the WAR engine"

the main thing about it is its very polished, no bugs etc, even since early beta, its had a lot of attention on it, doesnt feel rushed at all, along with many little features that just made me go "ooh thats really good, why hasnt it become standard"

im waiting for the EU CE release date then preordering it, release is 1st march

Mabs

im on: Blightwield (or however its spelt), Guardians, name of Lindraskada if anyone is around :)

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Liking the class system, although it's going to be a bitch to balance, meaning I do not see myself PvPing in this game (if I pick it up) and I foresee a very large storm of complain threads come retail. (if not earlier)

Not so sure about the rest - sure it seems fluid and solid enough, but it just .... well, it just feels like I've already played the (levelling) game before.
Does bring in some good things, no question - but well ..... I'm on the fence. I want to like it, but I'm not really sure. As said - it feels like I've already played the game.

Mabs

you do know there is a unique "PVP SOUL" for each class yea ? for, er, PVPing ;)

as for same as before, well its an MMO, its not going to be that different, but i think theyve made enough small changes to make it less of a hassle etc
will see how the rest of beta goes, lvl 16 atm

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I played a bunch and I think it's going to DOA.

Combat isn't fun at all, the public rifts are nice but with the ass combat animations it seems flat.

Racial imbalance is so awful that it's going to end up about 80/20 in favour of defiance.
Literally 1s queue times on guardian, and >15 mins on defiance.

Two problems causing it.

1. Guardians look average at best and 2 3/6 of the race/sex options just look bad.
2. Racial imbalance. OMFG. Worse than FF11 for pigeonholing race/class combos. Don't expect to get endgame guilds if you dont pick the correct combos. Wanna be a high DPS melee/gank/ranger? Gotta roll defiance.

Wanna be a high damage caster? Gotta roll defiance.
Best tank racial is dwarfen, but it's close w/ the defiance option.

High elf racial is assssssssssss.

Tank taunt does nothing and they get very few snares/cc, while melees get a shitload of cc so melees will never be troubled by tanks.

Basically Ranged>All in PVP.

The first PVP instance is bad, it's like a bad mourkain mountain ripoff, too much terrain hugging near spawn ( you can be 45-60s away from mid on terrain that you have to go up slopes and around to get to, oh lols they just jump down ).

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
PvP does indeed seem to have a number of issues still, and I fear the game is too close to launch that they can address them before that. Least of all not due to what appears to be a rather limited amount of fronts to play in, issues with balance, issues with match making and so on.
PvP does not seem to be a focus for me if I choose to play Rift.

And I fear the PvE game can't carry it alone with the generic quests it contains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom