Ps3

soze

I am a FH squatter
as Cho pointed out, it has nothing to do with the console itself, but the company. They've simply made too many mistakes (ie. fucking up their launch date, charging more money in eu than everywhere else, and now the limited backwards compitility)

PS. sorry for repeating you Cho, but I just wanted to make the point clear :p

I agree messing up the launch was crap but i wish people would stop making out this over charging in Europe is a Sony trick 360 did it Wii did it too. Im not sure how much this PS2 emotion chip cost so it might make alot of difference.
Would be good to know what percent of PS2 games will play with the software compared to the chip.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Im not sure how much this PS2 emotion chip cost so it might make alot of difference.

Would be good to know what percent of PS2 games will play with the software compared to the chip.

The chip costs $27 according to iSuppli who costed the entire system not long ago and got it 100% spot on. That is roughly £14. Takes the piss when you consider the next point I am about to make.

The software emulator has only just got out of alpha version, it is nowhere near ready for primetime but we Europeens are going to beta test it for Sony anyway. Once they get it in good working order they will roll out the hardware changes to the U.S. and Japan for all the new units. Now doesn't it feel nice that you are having to pay extra to be a beta tester for Sony? Must feel great to know you are paying for a PS2 chip that you are not getting, I mean where is the price cut to reflect the silicon that was removed?

It is immoral plain and simple.

P.S. The alpha version of the emulator only played 50 or so games, the beta would certainly play alot more than that but it is a real worry that alot of top games are not going to work on day one. Over time the emulator will develop and play a good ratio of games but still, it is wrong to charge people for hardware they are not now going to recieve.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Now doesn't it feel nice that you are having to pay extra to be a beta tester for Sony?

I'm buying a PS3 and I don't feel like that at all. I couldn't care less about backwards compat :)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Thats the thing - my PS2 plays PS1 games... I dont think after I got a PS2 I ever tried a PS1 one game again. I rarely if ever use my PC as an emulator to play games from years gone by, they are good for a quick blast of nostalgia but I think all the hoohaah over this news about the PS3 not being totally backward compatible - so what...it will blow over but atm its news for the techies to blart about so they will of course.

Not buying one though myself, maybe when the price drops etc and if Blu Ray or whatever it is takes off - will get one as a cheapo HD DVD that plays games rather than the other way around. PS2 ended up as a spare DVD player tbh so not gonna run out and buy another PS.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Sony will come out and say the original plans were the PS3 will cost £450 and they gave us £25 off for the chip :) But paying an extra extra £14 is nothing id rather pay £120 extra than be an american tbh ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'm buying a PS3 and I don't feel like that at all. I couldn't care less about backwards compat :)

Good for you. My best mate doesn't feel the same though, he wanted to play all his PS2 games at 720p but it isn't going to happen now.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Sony will come out and say the original plans were the PS3 will cost £450 and they gave us £25 off for the chip :) But paying an extra extra £14 is nothing id rather pay £120 extra than be an american tbh ;)

I would pay alot more than £120 to NOT be an American, that is for damn sure ;)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I would pay alot more than £120 to NOT be an American, that is for damn sure ;)

I would pay £120 to live in America - makes this place look like a shithole tbh..

I love going to the states, no matter what people say. New York pisses on London, the suburbs are much better, better public transport, better value for everything, people hear a UK accent and they can't do enough to help you etc.

I wouldnt give £1 to stay here if I had to.

soze

I am a FH squatter
My plans always been to emigrate to Canada all the good of america but no Yanks, avoid the french bit and its all good :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Good for you. My best mate doesn't feel the same though, he wanted to play all his PS2 games at 720p but it isn't going to happen now.

What's the point? They're just upscaled. You can get a HD upscaler for the PS2 for 20 quid if it's that important.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
What's the point? They're just upscaled. You can get a HD upscaler for the PS2 for 20 quid if it's that important.

Yep I am aware, just a shame they can't do what Microsluts did with the 360 and get the emulator/hardware to render the frames at 720p instead. It is a feature I really expected the PS3 to have because the 480p output is less than ideal on a TV over 32inches, blocky as hell and no amount of AA is going to fix it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Thing is even without that chip the PS3 is still more backwards compatible than the 360, so what the fuck are you moaning about?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Thing is even without that chip the PS3 is still more backwards compatible than the 360, so what the fuck are you moaning about?

And what have you based that on then? Seriously, I would love to know. Oh wait you can't tell us because Sony won't release any information until the 23rd of March.

Nuff said.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm basing it on the fact that you won't have to put your hands in your pockets to make it work, like you do if you want any of the 360's "advanced" features.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Should get my PS3 on Fri/Mon. Importing as id like to get rid of the PS2 and the european no EE chip is a joke.

Which is nice.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Should get my PS3 on Fri/Mon. Importing as id like to get rid of the PS2 and the european no EE chip is a joke.

Which is nice.

Sensible choice, especially if you managed to get it without paying VAT ;)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'm basing it on the fact that you won't have to put your hands in your pockets to make it work, like you do if you want any of the 360's "advanced" features.

Erm that is your answer? No, please try again. You stated the EU PS3 will be more backwards compatible than a 360 when you have no fucking idea about how well the emulator will stand up. Pure speculation on your behalf, nothing new there though.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have to admit i though that the emotion chip was responsible for the crappy graphics on the ps3 for ps2 games. So i though they had turned it off on the yanks ones now and were using a software emulator over there now too. Chances are i mis read or mis understood.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Advanced being what exactly?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Erm that is your answer? No, please try again. You stated the EU PS3 will be more backwards compatible than a 360 when you have no fucking idea about how well the emulator will stand up. Pure speculation on your behalf, nothing new there though.

Well it at least keeps the PS2's GPU, so it has quite a good chance of doing better BC than the 360 still :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well it at least keeps the PS2's GPU, so it has quite a good chance of doing better BC than the 360 still :)

The 360 emulation works great though and you get the bonus of native 720p rendering plus AA so everything looks so much better than the original ever did. The same cannot be said for PS3, even the hardware emulation left alot to be desired until they firmware fixed the filtering issue and you are still stuck at 480p which looks very poor on a HDTV any bigger than 32inches. I will say this though, I am certain that given time Sony will make more of an effort that Microsluts have in to supporting a huge range of games. There seems to be a real lack of will at Redmond to get support in the emulator for some of the best Xbox games although at least the last patch did show signs that they were starting to cherry pick the best games for emulation.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie

Which is nice.

Take it you went for a Japan model then, personally I'd prefer to go for a US one for importing blu-ray movies but I don't have any PS2 games anymore so I don't have to worry about compatability with them.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Take it you went for a Japan model then, personally I'd prefer to go for a US one for importing blu-ray movies but I don't have any PS2 games anymore so I don't have to worry about compatability with them.

Yep I did, and its here! PQ is stunning.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
How is browsing the net?

I was actually quite impressed by the browser, heavily flash based sites suffer but i just got hold of yellowdog linux which im partitioning the drive with mainly for my emulators but i believe that has a nifty browser on it.

At 1920x1080p there there is no issue with the text and the whole thing is very sleek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom