Ps3

Yaka

Part of the furniture
so now that pricing etc has been released whos getting one?

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
From what I've heard the cheapest package (20 gig HD, no HDMI ect) will be about £430.

And no Killzone, as all that smugness last year about their CGI footage they claimed was real time, and dident even show any this year.

This image sums my feelings.

pay.jpg

Yaka

Part of the furniture
its £379 for cheapo ver and £420 for better spec. according to those in the know elsewhere.

wish i could preorder one right now

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
It has Final Fantasy XIII, that is reason enough to buy one

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Ooh, nice trailer.

Still a bit pricey for me mind :(

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'll pass until a while after the PS3 will have the new game shortages the 360 is still suffering and its annoying seeing your £280 new toy collecting dust.

I actually think the 360 might actually win this console war.. its cheaper it looks better (heck white is the new black).

And you can also bet MS will lower the 360 by £50 atleast people thought £280 was abit pricey but nearly £400 just for the 20 gig HDD?

Aside the fact im not convinced Blueray will take off.

RIP OFF.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Regardless of all the hypotheses, I'm pretty convinced the PS3 will be amazingly successful.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
nath said:
Regardless of all the hypotheses, I'm pretty convinced the PS3 will be amazingly successful.

I don't think it will be as ubiquitous as PS2 but it will do fine.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
read some where thats might be the game intro and you play the events leading up to that piont.

cant wait for it.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
No way will the xbox360 win, been out for ages now (5months?) and there still isn't one good game for it yet that was designed specifically for the console, all ports from other consoles/pc whereas the ps3 and Wiiiii will have awesome initiative games that are worth owning the console for!

~unhappy 360 owner~

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
~Latency~ said:
No way will the xbox360 win, been out for ages now (5months?) and there still isn't one good game for it yet that was designed specifically for the console, all ports from other consoles/pc whereas the ps3 and Wiiiii will have awesome initiative games that are worth owning the console for!

~unhappy 360 owner~
Microsofts fault for fucking with the launch. If there had been a decent supply even with just the half-arsed perfect dark launch title, more people would have picked it up.

360 was the first console launch in ages where i've just thought "fuck it I'm not shelling out till they drop the price to the true level"

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
It just seems to me that Sony don't really seem that fussed about this generation, I watched the press conference and nothing they have really strikes out at me, I will prolly end up buying the Wii, I have a 360 which I am more than happy with at the mo Amped 3, Oblivion and Burnout Revenge and with gears of War and a few various other titles coming out this year im guna be happy. Sony are really guna need to do something special.

Aada

Part of the furniture
PLightstar said:
It just seems to me that Sony don't really seem that fussed about this generation, I watched the press conference and nothing they have really strikes out at me, I will prolly end up buying the Wii, I have a 360 which I am more than happy with at the mo Amped 3, Oblivion and Burnout Revenge and with gears of War and a few various other titles coming out this year im guna be happy. Sony are really guna need to do something special.

Wii? don't kid yourself dude it will be like the gamecube with a none existant future games catalogue and in 5months it will be right at the back of every GAME in the uk just like the GC is.

Wii will not do well at all in the uk.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
Aada said:
Wii? don't kid yourself dude it will be like the gamecube with a none existant future games catalogue and in 5months it will be right at the back of every GAME in the uk just like the GC is.

Wii will not do well at all in the uk.

people said that about the DS aswell ;O

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Well they are bringing out a star wars game for the Wii, finally every star wars fan's dream can come to light, lets hope is a sequel to the Jedi Knight series and not linking to the films. I can see myself now, vroom vroom clash sizzle aaaaah

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Wonk said:
people said that about the DS aswell ;O

Just what I was about to say. Nintendo is wupping Sony on handhelds now due to lower price and novel contol at the expense of less pretty. Seems a good strategy.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Wij said:
Just what I was about to say. Nintendo is wupping Sony on handhelds now due to lower price and novel contol at the expense of less pretty. Seems a good strategy.

Handheld and Home Console are two very different things though.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Wij said:

Handheld/console 2 different things every gamer knows that if you want a handheld you go Nintendo.

After the last 2 disaster console launches Nintendo have had people start to think ''naaaah not even gonna go there again''.

It will fail big time in the UK.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
you cant sell a console on a new type of controler, if the controler is populer, which i dont really think it will be, sony or microsoft could just release their own, look at the N64 controller, first with analogue, few months later sony released the duel shock and won the 32/64 bit war. yes i know most of it was down to marketing but wii offers nothing over any of the other consoles, not for adult gamers anyway. it wont take off.
If sony ditched blue ray on the PS3 thus reducing the price they would stand more of a chance, but as one of blue rays biggest backers vs HD DVD they are not going to drop it.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Au contraire, I think the Wii may have expanded its target audience. Not too long ago, I was 'round a Police Officers house (New Years), and she owned a GC with some game which I can't quite remember, though it had a drum for a controller. A DRUM! I think a radical controller overhaul may actually be what the industry needs, which is probably the biggest reason Sony adjusted their controller to cater for movement. I've seen loads of people who are unfamiliar with games and they tend to swing the joypad in all sorts of directions. This tells me that they're frustrated with the interface, and perhaps Ninty picked up on this.

To be fair, the DS from what I've seen in general, hasn't blown the PSP out of the water. The latest Ninty handheld has had its stiffest competition since the fucking Gamegear. Something like a over decade? The touch screen has been a bit of a flop, as loads of games don't use it to its full potential, though it is early days really. :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
DS is whipping PSP for two reasons; price, and far more importantly, the games. There have been a raft of innovative games for the DS (even if they haven't used the full potential of the screens) whereas the PSP catalogue has been pretty lamentable; its not so much that the DS' games are really good, but that the PSP's are really crap. The PSP is a nice thing to own but I hardly use mine for games because most of them are shitty PS2 rehashes.

The important thing for PS3 v Wii v 360 is exactly the same; the winner will be the one with the best games catalogue ultimately; for the simple reason that over the life of the consoles, most people will probably buy at least 2 out of the 3. The cross ownership of the last gen was very high, and this is where Wii could suffer; yes people will play Nintendo first party games on it, but if they've got a PS3 or 360 as well (which most of them will), then they'll use that for any multi-platform games they buy (because they'll look prettier). And don't forget, the number of consoles sold isn't the important thing (because the manufacturers don't make any money on them) its the attach rate that makes or breaks a console.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, something like Donkey Konga. :)

Other innovative ideas were the Eye Toy (Probably helped shift a million or more consoles alone) and more recently Guitar Hero. Both ideas thought up from "outside the box".

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
And don't forget, the number of consoles sold isn't the important thing (because the manufacturers don't make any money on them) its the attach rate that makes or breaks a console.

Even after a few years when the production costs drop?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sir Frizz said:
Even after a few years when the production costs drop?

Yep. Hardware never gets decent margins, because as the production costs drop they usually drop the retail price at the same time to broaden the market and sell more software. in reality they make less real margin on hardware at the end of a console's lifetime than they do in the beginning (% margin may go up slightly but in real pounds yen or dollars its less). Nintendo are probably in a slightly stronger margin position this time round than the others because they'll probably be making a small amount of margin on Wii right from the start; a lot of smart Analysts have looked at the 360 and particularly the PS3 and reckon MS and Sony are actually losing money on every console sold in the early days (there's a rumour that the original Xbox never made a unit profit, but the 360 has been designed to be cheaper to produce over volume).

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Wiki article on Xbox market share:

Market share
Some critics were initially concerned that the Xbox would allow Microsoft to extend its dominance of the PC software market to consoles. However, as of February 2005, estimates show the Xbox's share of the worldwide console market is only moderately ahead of the Nintendo GameCube and far behind the PlayStation 2. According to company documents, Microsoft has shipped 22 million consoles to retailers worldwide at the end of FY 2005 [9]. Although ahead of the GameCube's 20.61 million [10], this was far behind the PlayStation 2's 100 million shipped [11].

The Xbox has enjoyed its greatest success in North America, where an estimated 13.5 million units have been sold and where it managed for a month to outsell the PS2[12]. In Europe, the Xbox's market share is currently ahead of the GameCube, but is still behind the PlayStation 2.

The Xbox has sold poorly in Japan mainly because Microsoft was unable to enlist enough local developers to cater to Japanese interests. The large size of the hardware itself did not endear itself to the size-sensitive Japanese consumers. It is estimated about 450,000 units have been sold in Japan [13].

Microsoft has invested billions of dollars into the Xbox internal documents and received back billions of dollars in sales. Overall though Xbox division has lost $4 billion from 2001 to 2005. [14] In particular, the Xbox hardware itself is a loss leader, since the console was sold at a loss even at its debut price. The losses deepened when sales of the Xbox increased and when the price was reduced successive times to compete with PlayStation 2 [15]. Microsoft predicted that it would not make a profit on the Xbox for at least three years. This prediction turned out to be correct; Microsoft Game Studios, Microsoft's game division in charge of Xbox development, had its first profitable quarter reported in January 2005, thanks largely to the success of Halo 2 [16]. Investor relations documents says that in the end of 2005 Microsoft lost more than 1 billion dollars [17]. The Xbox project never gave an annual profit to Microsoft according to these documents. In return for the money loss though the Xbox gained name recognition and a dedicated fan base. [18]

Ack, forgot about that. This generation should be interesting to say the least.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The pictures of next gen Gran Turismo made me spunk in my pants, so I think I'll be having a PS3 thanks. Nothing I've seen on 360 so far looks much cop to be honest. It just looks like Xbox 1.5 to me :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom