Ps3

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
got mine, tried motor storm and its preety fun not but alotho it looks great its not a brilliant game. tried inserting god of war 2 into it to see how its like but its dont play ntsc discs it seems which is shit as a few of my ps2 games are ntsc. not got round to trying resistance fall of man yet. firgging cricket is on

Fucking shame God of War 2 doesn't work for you, ace game that is. :( If you get it working grab a few photos so I can drool over it running in 720p :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
We had 8 consoles in store. We sold 3. About 10 pre-orders on top of that, and only half of them bothered to come collect today.

Currys and Blockbusters were also selling them near us, as well as an Asda, none of them sold out either.

The people that did buy bought lots of accesories and software though, so Sony are making good money. Think sony miscalculated with the amount of HDMI cables though, had people in all day that have been to several shops, loads of consoles but no cables. heh.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i am not buying either ps3 or an xbox tbh, i would much rather upgrade my PC. for the price of a console and TV that does it justice i can build a blisteringly fast PC.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Bet aada's glad of the distance sales regulations! ;)

So what's happened to all the sony fanboi's? Too bust playing your ps£'s are you?

Too busy drinking beer more like.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
GEtting motorstorm tomorrow. Waited patiently for euro release, the demo has been a sublime time waster.

VF5 is lush still.

Too drunk tonight tho but seeing as ive had sony's latest for a month now its all gone awash (smug).

Looks like ps3 launch wasnt exactly aweinspiring but then i cant remember a release console wise that was.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
my main gripes is the pad is too fucking light and motorstorm needs force feedback.

and ydl takes fucking ages to install i was tempted to isntall it on mine but finding out its on average 4 hours to install its scarey

in other news paradox are giving out hints that its better to stick with 1.50fw as they ar

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
and ydl takes fucking ages to install i was tempted to isntall it on mine but finding out its on average 4 hours to install its scarey

in other news paradox are giving out hints that its better to stick with 1.50fw as they ar

4 hours??? for a frigging linux install??

Oh and god bless Paradox, lets hope they come up with a nice hack before long.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yep its that long, fuck knows why

Aada

Part of the furniture
The price tag is way to steep i just came back from town GAME/HMV/gamestation have around 10-15 units each.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
sold another two today.TWO. On the busiest day of the week. Pitiful.

Had ten or so requests for Wii's, which Ninty still have not supplied (missed oppurtunity)

And sold two 360's today as well.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Was at Guildford North Street for the launch, had over 50% of the preorder people come in at midnight. Was a busy time.

Went back in at 7am, people came in steadily for their preorders. Controllers and hdmi cables were just flying off the shelves.

I have a ps3, I like the style over my 360. I fucking hate my external hd-dvd unit for the 360, I love how quiet my ps3 is to watch movies.

I like things from both consoles. Motorstorm is fun, the bikes are the best for me :)

Anyway, my ps network tag is "Deebsy". Feel free to add me if you have one.

1080p on a 40" for both my ps3 (hdmi) and 360 (vga) is fucking lovely to watch.

Now, BURNOUT5 please!!

Oh, YDL took an hour to install for me. Not 4hrs. Only thing broken is wifi support, that is being worked on by YD and Sony engineers.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh

one other thing which I am so looking forward to:

LittleBigPlanet

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Deebs, how you finding YDL? Does it feel like a normal Linux distro, responsive and fully functional?

If there was a way for YDL to access the GPU that would be a killer app but does anyone know if it has access to the SPE's in CELL? I had heard that it only makes use of the PPC core in CELL which would be a shame considering the media processing horsepower that those SPE's offer.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Oh

one other thing which I am so looking forward to:

LittleBigPlanet

Next you will be telling us that your favourite games are Star Wars Lego 2 and Barbie Horse Adventure! ;) :p :D

LBP does look great though, if they can develop a good game from that tech demo then they will have a real crowd pleaser.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Deebs, how you finding YDL? Does it feel like a normal Linux distro, responsive and fully functional?

If there was a way for YDL to access the GPU that would be a killer app but does anyone know if it has access to the SPE's in CELL? I had heard that it only makes use of the PPC core in CELL which would be a shame considering the media processing horsepower that those SPE's offer.

Right

YDL can access the PPE (it sees it as 2 cores) and 6 SPE's are available to it. When you boot you get a penguin for each core. The only thing restricted is the RSX as you say. That hopefully will change. All I am looking forward to is MythTV and im set.

YDL is based on FC5, its fully functional and I enjoy using it. Seems weird loading FF and browsing.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
mythtv + a usb pvr dongle should work shouldnt it?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Right

YDL can access the PPE (it sees it as 2 cores) and 6 SPE's are available to it. When you boot you get a penguin for each core. The only thing restricted is the RSX as you say. That hopefully will change. All I am looking forward to is MythTV and im set.

YDL is based on FC5, its fully functional and I enjoy using it. Seems weird loading FF and browsing.

Sweet, thanks for the info :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Controllers and hdmi cables were just flying off the shelves.

1080p on a 40" for both my ps3 (hdmi) and 360 (vga) is fucking lovely to watch.

Now, BURNOUT5 please!!

Yep demand for the accessories is still huge.

Sony w2000? Or have you found another set that accepts 1080p over vga?

I love burnout.

I had to leave my debit card at home today to stop me buying one of the ps3's that is still sitting at work. I have no willpower when it comes to new toys.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The PS3 is rather expensive compared to previous consoles, and current competition, but at the same time it is a lot of product for that money when you split the various elementals down. However it can't escape a few simple truths:

• More Competition than before, and better positioned competition.
  • To take advantage of the whole package you need the right equipment, media, etc which isn't exactly cheap either.
  • General downturn in consumerism which, due to the price, will affect it.

The PS3 will succeed but not in quite the same way as the previous Playstations.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I heard something on the news this morning which may or may not be correct due to me still being half asleep, but allegedly in America the PS3 is being out sold by the Wii,Xbox 360 and PS2 in that order.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I heard something on the news this morning which may or may not be correct due to me still being half asleep, but allegedly in America the PS3 is being out sold by the Wii,Xbox 360 and PS2 in that order.

That is probably true if Nintendo are building enough to outsell the ps2 now. At christmas in States i think it was PS2 360 Wii because they could not make enough Wiis.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
I read that the PS3 is selling more x months after release in America, than the 360 was after the same amount of months after release.

So, despite huge competition from the 360 and Wii (which the 360 didn't have at that early stage of release), the PS3 is still selling more than the 360 did back then.

Pretty impressive considering the price point and what it is up against right now.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yep demand for the accessories is still huge.

Sony w2000? Or have you found another set that accepts 1080p over vga?

I love burnout.

I had to leave my debit card at home today to stop me buying one of the ps3's that is still sitting at work. I have no willpower when it comes to new toys.

Sammy LE41F71. Accepts 1080p over all inputs :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I read that the PS3 is selling more x months after release in America, than the 360 was after the same amount of months after release.

So, despite huge competition from the 360 and Wii (which the 360 didn't have at that early stage of release), the PS3 is still selling more than the 360 did back then.

Pretty impressive considering the price point and what it is up against right now.

It isn't true bud, Sony are quoting units shipped and not actual units sold at retail. Under those conditions Wii is showing the strongest sales at the moment, 360 second marginally ahead of PS3.

The sad fact is that the console is overpriced, even in the U.S. and it has stalled PS3 sales badly, 5 months in and it hasn't sold 2 million units at retail really does indicate that there is a pricing issue. Sony will have to address it that the next 6 months or face losing serious ground in the console market, the Wii has already split the market somewhat and a price drop by Nintendo next October will only make things harder for MS and Sony if they don't respond with some seriously large price cuts themselves.

soze

I am a FH squatter
A bloke i work with picked one up today after reading about Linux on it and how that makes it the cheapest high performance media center on the market, with Blu Ray. So he is buying one just for Blu Ray and a Media Center thats is prolly bad new for Sony still as he has no intention of buying any games :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Had a go on Resistance:Fall of Man on saturday night, was well impressed. The graphics were stunning for a launch title and the gameplay seemed spot on too. Can't wait to see the games when the developers have learnt how to get the most from it.

I am now frantically trying to get £425 for a kidney. Anyone interested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom