Prydwen down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brite

Banned
anyone with active charecters on prydwen will get free time i dont think there any doubt about that as they have done it in the past i know i just cant remember what think it was maybe the unbearable lag at toa or somthing

its just that the server been down for so long its like they have to give somthing more than free days to compensate

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Brite said:
anyone with active charecters on prydwen will get free time i dont think there any doubt about that as they have done it in the past i know i just cant remember what think it was maybe the unbearable lag at toa or somthing

its just that the server been down for so long its like they have to give somthing more than free days to compensate

If you care to read the entire post you see GOA representative saying there will be no such thing since the "service" is avaliable just limited.

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
Tay said:
Backups and Transaction logs are your friends....or not...

I suspect that, although nobody will admit, it the work involved in recreating the DB(s) from the last known good and updating with the transaction logs is too much effort to put in.

Depending on the number of chars with issues, if its quite a few then a bigger rollback would be on the cards, if its a few then recreating with the logs is feasible.

Got a bad feeling its a biggy :(

As far as I know the character DB are XML files - so no transaction logs (well at least not true ones you'd get with a real DBMS). (I might be wrong on this but that's the info I have from some unofficial source)

First of all the downtime over the last years since DAoC has gone live was not bad at all. There have been minor incidents but nothing unusual for a service with that size.

Errors like this - whatever may have caused it - can happen. However, I have to agree that the treatment of this case looks very unprofessional to me. I am not sure what part GoA plays in all this (I assume they have access to the source code but Mythic's coders are probably the experts here) but whoever is responsible has done a pretty bad job. Why? A live server with a downtime of 5 days (and counting) is inexcusable even if it's a non-critical server. Fixing a problem is always a matter of priority (staff assigned to fix the problem): I have to come to the conclusion that solving this problem has a very low priority for Mythic and/or GoA.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Nedo said:
If you care to read the entire post you see GOA representative saying there will be no such thing since the "service" is avaliable just limited.

Strange, since Xalin said this:
"Yes we will look at ways of compensation."

Guess you should read entire post now ?

Darkptang

Fledgling Freddie
Garbannoch said:
Errors like this - whatever may have caused it - can happen. However, I have to agree that the treatment of this case looks very unprofessional to me. I am not sure what part GoA plays in all this (I assume they have access to the source code but Mythic's coders are probably the experts here) but whoever is responsible has done a pretty bad job. Why? A live server with a downtime of 5 days (and counting) is inexcusable even if it's a non-critical server. Fixing a problem is always a matter of priority (staff assigned to fix the problem): I have to come to the conclusion that solving this problem has a very low priority for Mythic and/or GoA.

starting to aggre with you Garbannoch, and i realy get pissed with the lack of information about what´s going on and what are they doing to fix this? when the server´s coming up? i always suport GOA/Mytic but this time, this is just very unprofessional! :puke: :mad:

leviathane

Part of the furniture
its very un-professional an for people that only have a lvl 50 on prydwen theres sweet fa they can do cept roll a /lvl 20 toon an get pwned by ppl with sc armour in the bg's. Myself however have now officially given up on EU servers due to the crappy response of server issues.

blejs

Loyal Freddie
Have it ever been something like this on US?

Cause if its rollback lets say 1 week to friday, sure u can get 2weeks of free playing. But this wont be worth squat if you ask me.

Time is a thing you can never get back.

So crap this, and its prolly some ppl that maybe got 1 week vacation and had planed to play some. Feel sorry for them :/

Vladamir

FH is my second home
leviathane said:
its very un-professional an for people that only have a lvl 50 on prydwen theres sweet fa they can do cept roll a /lvl 20 toon an get pwned by ppl with sc armour in the bg's. Myself however have now officially given up on EU servers due to the crappy response of server issues.

:(:(:(:(

Lyrra

Fledgling Freddie
leviathane said:

Yeah my subs ran out yesterday and I have not renewed. This carry on made me remember how poor the European service is.

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
blejs said:
Have it ever been something like this on US?

Cause if its rollback lets say 1 week to friday, sure u can get 2weeks of free playing. But this wont be worth squat if you ask me.

Time is a thing you can never get back.

So crap this, and its prolly some ppl that maybe got 1 week vacation and had planed to play some. Feel sorry for them :/

If they take 1week vacation to play DAoC, aye Id feel sorry for em too :p

Bloodaxe_Springskalle

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Not that its any of your god damn business, but I was recently made redundent, and I am moving town soon, so I am taking a month off to enjoy myself...is that fucking ok with you Mr. No Lvl 50's.

actually i have level 50's, i just don't play them anymore so i've left them out of my signature.

so get me another nickname mr. white trash :)

Tilda

Garbannoch said:
As far as I know the character DB are XML files - so no transaction logs (well at least not true ones you'd get with a real DBMS). (I might be wrong on this but that's the info I have from some unofficial source)

First of all the downtime over the last years since DAoC has gone live was not bad at all. There have been minor incidents but nothing unusual for a service with that size.

Could it perhaps be that the problem is acctually quite a big one?
I believe Xalin described it as a "Biggie" and going through 10's of thousands of pages of code, tbh is no small task.
Ok, so they spend a few days finding the route of the problem, but then they have to work out why its happening and work out how to fix it.
If its a problem thats corrupting charachters etc, its easily understandable that it could take a while for Mythic to come up with a fix.

I can assure you that both mythic and goa will be treating it as a priority.

Tilda

Gamah

Banned
Bloodaxe_Springskalle said:
actually i have level 50's, i just don't play them anymore so i've left them out of my signature.

so get me another nickname mr. white trash :)

I'm sorry do I know you? How do you know I am even white? Maybe take a look at the new forum T&C personal insults will get you a ban.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Gamah said:
I'm sorry do I know you? How do you know I am even white? Maybe take a look at the new forum T&C personal insults will get you a ban.

So much quoting about that these days, just another fotm Gamah!! :D

Gamah

Banned
Vladamir said:
So much quoting about that these days, just another fotm Gamah!! :D

:< I try to be original but gets harder in my old age :| Besides I am just doing my duty as a good forum poster!!!1, informing the less "astute" around here that there are new rules :(

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Gamah do you have to spam all around the threads with your bullshit.
Yeah i know you want attention but not here plz.

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Garbannoch said:

Said by one word... impossible..
XML is far too slow, resources consuming and in bigger database system totaly unusable (no sorting, only sequential searching etc...)

Gamah

Banned
fettoken said:
Gamah do you have to spam all around the threads with your bullshit.
Yeah i know you want attention but not here plz.

Spam about spam :worthy: How the fuck is replying to posts addressed to me spam? Not the britest (intentional mistake) bulb in the box? If you don't like what I post put me on ignore, not really hard is it.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Gamah said:
Spam about spam :worthy: How the fuck is replying to posts addressed to me spam? Not the britest (intentional mistake) bulb in the box? If you don't like what I post put me on ignore, not really hard is it.

Funnily enough, Gamah's posts have become more intelligent since he got his new title

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Gamah said:

Ye ye whatever. Im brighter than you. Whic most people are.
And yes, its called spam, when posting 99% worthless nonsense that doesnt have to do with the topic. "Whine off"

On topic: Wondering what goa:s doin to fix prydwen atm. Anyone have a clue ?

Gamah

Banned
How do you know you're "brighter" than me, do you suddenly have a list of my educational qualifications? Do you magicly know me IRL?, talk out your arse leads me to believe you are not what you claim to be. I suggest you stop now, because you will loose this argument.

Also as I said earlier, GOA are doing fuck all, they don't work weekends. Hence he said it will be up Monday and not before.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Judging from all your recent posts on these forums i came to the conclusion that im "brighter" than you Gamah. And yes, its no idea to try argumenting with you because youre so determined you always won.

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
Honza said:
XML is far too slow, resources consuming and in bigger database system totaly unusable (no sorting, only sequential searching etc...)

actually it's very possible - you don't have to use event driven parsing like SAX but rather keep the whole information in memory with DOM or a DOM-like object model; queries (which won't be complex) are then just as efficient as querying a RDBMS with SQL

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Garbannoch said:
actually it's very possible - you don't have to use event driven parsing like SAX but rather keep the whole information in memory with DOM or a DOM-like object model; queries (which won't be complex) are then just as efficient as querying a RDBMS with SQL

*drools as Garb's IQ twats him around the head*

Have a rep point for confusing meh! :eek7:

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Honza said:

Dawn of Light, a software used to create so called freeshards uses XML databases.

scarloc

Fledgling Freddie
Garbannoch said:

<hugs computing degree>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom