Prydwen down

Status
Not open for further replies.

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
Garbannoch said:
actually it's very possible - you don't have to use event driven parsing like SAX but rather keep the whole information in memory with DOM or a DOM-like object model; queries (which won't be complex) are then just as efficient as querying a RDBMS with SQL

RDBs are horribly slow compaired to sequential ones.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Sequential ones need indexes that really ruin things when they get corrupt !

My bet is on a relational database or a custom sequential one, as I don't reckon that a game being developed, what, 6-7 years ago, will have decided to use XML. We'd also not have to wait weeks on every patch change for the XML updates if XML was the base database format, I'd have thought.

Darzil

Meerwein

Fledgling Freddie
Look at mythic website and jobs section for some hints on the hw/sw used?

Looks like c++/linux and mySQL to me and xml only for website in various guises.

DB will be a heavily normalised relational DB IMHO - just like every one I have seen in the 'real world' so far. No indexes in XML AFAIK, no triggers etc unless you started writing your own DB from scratch.

Poox

Loyal Freddie
getting sick and tired of it now :<

so boring waiting and they haven't even updated us about whats going on

If it takes a long time to fix it, so be it.. but if it does.. but their not giving us any knowledge of whats going on since about 3 posts from one GM 3 days ago.. it's stupid.

Causes_Chaos

Banned
Poox said:
getting sick and tired of it now :<

so boring waiting and they haven't even updated us about whats going on

If it takes a long time to fix it, so be it.. but if it does.. but their not giving us any knowledge of whats going on since about 3 posts from one GM 3 days ago.. it's stupid.

ah good so its not me being a goit and unable to find their posts :(

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Heta said:
wonder why they removed the sticky on the thread tho ^^

He explained that.

But yes even I am getting abit annoyed now :(

Have installed Lineage2 and Guild Wars even and played that.

tallwiz

Fledgling Freddie
Heta said:
wonder why they removed the sticky on the thread tho ^^

maybe all the spam and flaming? lol

and if you care to go back about 50 pages... you'll see that i actually said it wouldnt be up b4 monday as they dont do weekends.......

anyway... rolled a /lvl 20 bb and pala and neccy on alb excal due to bordom yesterday....

but as stated earlier, this as infringed my rights to play the chars i have spent 3 years molding...... no compensation will result in 3 lost paying accounts to goa/mythic..... as soon as the subs run out ofc as i pay every 3 months

if pryd was priority, why did the other server get clustered?
why did they put another post on forum regarding camelot reporter on friday and no update on pryd?
why did they take the weekend off? pryd players pay for the same service all the other servers do... and we havent had it for 5 days now.
2 of those have been none productive.....

sorry goa.... but this isnt acceptable and i hope im speaking for a lot of pryd only based players here. the ones that dont actually know about FH and are clueless as the reports on main site tell ya squat.

:eek2:

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
tallwiz said:
maybe all the spam and flaming? lol

and if you care to go back about 50 pages... you'll see that i actually said it wouldnt be up b4 monday as they dont do weekends.......

anyway... rolled a /lvl 20 bb and pala and neccy on alb excal due to bordom yesterday....

but as stated earlier, this as infringed my rights to play the chars i have spent 3 years molding...... no compensation will result in 3 lost paying accounts to goa/mythic..... as soon as the subs run out ofc as i pay every 3 months

if pryd was priority, why did the other server get clustered?
why did they put another post on forum regarding camelot reporter on friday and no update on pryd?
why did they take the weekend off? pryd players pay for the same service all the other servers do... and we havent had it for 5 days now.
2 of those have been none productive.....

sorry goa.... but this isnt acceptable and i hope im speaking for a lot of pryd only based players here. the ones that dont actually know about FH and are clueless as the reports on main site tell ya squat.

:eek2:

Because different ppl do different things?

For example. You computer stop working in the middle of printing. Techs rush to you comp to fix it but all the other ppl continue working on their comps. They won´t stop because your comp broke down.

Show must go on and all that.

It´s frightening how little ppl know about how a corporation works.

tallwiz

Fledgling Freddie
my point was... no update on prydwen friday.....
last update on main site was thursday....

[25-08-2005] Investigation still pending on Prydwen

We are still working on fixing the bug on Prydwen but the source of the issue has not been identified yet. We are sorry but we cannot give you an ETA for the restart of the server. Rest assured that solving this problem is the priority of our teams and those of Mythic.

tallwiz

Fledgling Freddie
xxManiacxx said:
Because different ppl do different things?

For example. You computer stop working in the middle of printing. Techs rush to you comp to fix it but all the other ppl continue working on their comps. They won´t stop because your comp broke down.

Show must go on and all that.

It´s frightening how little ppl know about how a corporation works.

aye, there are different peeps to do different jobs...

so why wasnt the glitch / corruption noticed earlier by the peeps designated to server upkeep?

but who am i to argue... i just pay cash for a service that as now *limited* my game play

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Garbannoch said:
actually it's very possible - you don't have to use event driven parsing like SAX but rather keep the whole information in memory with DOM or a DOM-like object model; queries (which won't be complex) are then just as efficient as querying a RDBMS with SQL

DOM - nonsense... DOM is the most extreme RAM consuming structure you could reach for - and it is also very slow - for my Uni project this year we've been working with 14MB xml file - had to code our own reader, use SAX one and finally DOM one. Reading times for those were 1.9s 2.9s and for DOM 23.7s, RAM consumption wise 24MB,60MB, 340MB! Only reason to use DOM would be reading/writing abilities it has and object access. As for searching speed, nothing can compare with true database structures like B* tree and other complex ones.

Esselinithia said:
Dawn of Light, a software used to create so called freeshards uses XML databases.
Aye, they really use XML. I know it far too well since I coded tiny bits of DoL myself and I guess DoL should be taken as enlightened example of why not using XML for serious database - slow loading times (especially compared to MySQL - our Uni shard loads with XML in 83 secs while with SQL it takes only 21 secs; not mentioning indexes they made are not 32bit integers but strings, but that's not problem of database itself but of unwise coding :touch: ).

And as generally - why would you think database systems are so worldwide used? Because they are fast as hell. You can't compare relatively primitive XML format with decades developed and optimised relation databases.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
all I know is that my EU acc's will be closed forever after this incident :m00:

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
nice country and company, if we fuck up seriously for one of the biggest customer of ours we work 12h+ and fix it over the weekend if it demands it so. Nice to see its not like that in France, gotta get a job there sometime xD

I_R_BIG_TROLL

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Could it perhaps be that the problem is acctually quite a big one?
I believe Xalin described it as a "Biggie" and going through 10's of thousands of pages of code, tbh is no small task.
Ok, so they spend a few days finding the route of the problem, but then they have to work out why its happening and work out how to fix it.
If its a problem thats corrupting charachters etc, its easily understandable that it could take a while for Mythic to come up with a fix.

I can assure you that both mythic and goa will be treating it as a priority.

Tilda

tbh I doubt that its a code issue... If it was, then the problem would replicate accross servers as they are all running the same code. I think its taking this long cause they cant find the logical root of the problem. Ive had this once or twice using SQL with XML where the code was right, the DB was right, but records kept getting currupted. Turned out it was my Schema file that was not filtering correctly.

The problem with systems of this size, especially since its n-tier clustered (as in back-end servers sharing common tasks) is that the sheer volume of transactions makes it pretty fcking hard to find the source of the issue.

Having said that... I agree with a previous poster that even non-critical servers should _never_ be down for more than 24 hours. The moment you spot an error its restore time. 5 days is a bit of a joke. I know that if any of my client's servers go down for that amt of time i'd never get any more business.

anyway... yet another day of GTA SA then... fare-thee-well

Prudil

One of Freddy's beloved
OK, Im gonna change my view in this case...totally!

GoA seemed able and willing to get a fix for the Prydwen database corruption, they informed us with decent intervals and it seemed pretty ok.....but that was thursday/friday - last week.

/whine=on

Now Monday 2,5 days later no more updates and to us it seems GoA/Mytic are enjoying their "bank holiday". There is no excuse to NOT inform the paying customers just because its weekend/holiday, we are infact playing for a 24/7 service. Its pathetic to see how "responcible" both GoA and Mythic are in this case. With DAoC's decreasing numbers (and paying customers) this will do nothing else but enhance this effect. I hoped Clustering/DR would revitalize DAoC again, but with this "fuckup" as an opening, Im again wondering if I want to pay such a company money.

1, 2 maybe 3 days downtime is acceptable.....but soon 6 days is "over the top" imo!

Gonna give US DAoC a try I think....atleast they have a "fix it no matter what" - policy and inform customers with decent intervals....not to mention "ingame support" :p

/whine=off

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
It's almost 12:00 and not a single lifesign from GOA. I understand if they can't give an ETA, but a "We are here in the office and do our best" would be more then complete silence.

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
just wondering.. from day 1

what is the overall uptime on the english servers? in % .. patching not included as downtime

Outlander

Part of the furniture
who cares ftw! just let them get on with it tbh and stop the whanj0!

actually dont stop the QQ as it gives such a good read... :D

QQ ffs meights liek fix the server now before I drown in my own QQ tears or before someone dies irl from laughing at my QQ posts of d00m.

:clap: yey I win!

(this is not aimed at any one individual this is just an overall statement for the general public so they hear my ever so important point of view that means so much :p)

I loves the Support monkeys and want ze babehs.

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
Prudil said:
OK, Im gonna change my view in this case...totally!

GoA seemed able and willing to get a fix for the Prydwen database corruption, they informed us with decent intervals and it seemed pretty ok.....but that was thursday/friday - last week.

/whine=on

Now Monday 2,5 days later no more updates and to us it seems GoA/Mytic are enjoying their "bank holiday". There is no excuse to NOT inform the paying customers just because its weekend/holiday, we are infact playing for a 24/7 service. Its pathetic to see how "responcible" both GoA and Mythic are in this case. With DAoC's decreasing numbers (and paying customers) this will do nothing else but enhance this effect. I hoped Clustering/DR would revitalize DAoC again, but with this "fuckup" as an opening, Im again wondering if I want to pay such a company money.

1, 2 maybe 3 days downtime is acceptable.....but soon 6 days is "over the top" imo!

Gonna give US DAoC a try I think....atleast they have a "fix it no matter what" - policy and inform customers with decent intervals....not to mention "ingame support" :p

/whine=off

what the man said.. mythic have ALOT of updates and more usefull shit on their site than goa, but not working over a weekend when a fucking server is down? what fucking service is that, imagine a company running a flight booking machine, and the server went down, "nah its weekend m8s, go home, lets loose some millions and reputation". n1 goa.

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
Mebbe time for some classic soon.
Getting bored of this shit :eek7:

morfans

Fledgling Freddie
Here we are again
Iam beginning to think that mythic/goa dont want my money any more.
Why are we not being told anything we have had up dates till friday then nothing after that. Why i ask myself? would this have happened if a french sever had gone down? I think not they would have worked all hours god sends to fix it.
I know that it takes time to fix problems. But i also know that in any company a problem like this ppl would be payed double and triple time to be there until its fixed. In my eyes this could break goa/mythic. When there are so many online RPGs they should be pulling all the stops out to keep and attract more ppl.
So I say dont make the game any bigger just make it so theres no lag, theres no overpowered crap and problems get fixed asap

laters all

morfans theugly
balise theugly
lanvel the ugly

morvan on exc
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom