Pryd & Excal Down. GOA Aware and working on it.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Keitan said:
Wooooot :) i remember about 3 years ago and servers went down for 1-2 days and you gave us all a bub of exp i think it was :) that would be cool

i don`t want a bulb of xp :/

give 1 bulb of RP :)

that`s only 100k.

islef

Loyal Freddie
[22-09-2006] Temporary server shutdown

A technical issue was encountered yesterday evening on certain game servers. All servers were therefore shut down as a safety measure so that our technical team can identify the source and solve the problem. All our resources are working on this issue in order to reduce the server downtime to the minimum and we will keep you posted as the situation evolves.

September 22 noon update

/sigh! finally a weekend where the missus was out of the house, and this happens.

Zagg

Fledgling Freddie
Translation of German GM's note
-------------------------------

A small update on he current situation:

During the night, after Excalibur/Prydwen Cluster, Brocielande and Avalon were unexpectedly taken down within half an hour, we had to take down all servers for safety reasons. There was a possibility that a technical problem would cause cascading effects.

The technicians have worked all night, and have identified the problem. After some further testing the servers should be available again in the late afternoon (16:00CET-3pmUK). Of course there will be a statement on the official website concerning this.

At the current state of knowledge we are NOT expecting a roll back. A compensation for lost game time will be agreed upon later. The situation was extraordinary and there was no prior symptoms, that would have allowed us to anticipate it.

Dearest wishes and thanks for your understanding,

signed Taizan

Imon

Fledgling Freddie
Righthandof said:
do i get salary for it? do i get access to the details they do? no-no, so why should i know whats wrong with the server. surely i would do if theyd hire me, or somebody with knowledge of comps, easy.

hahahahahahaha
hahahahahahaha

and so on:m00:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Brohanith said:
Again funny how we seem to get no info whatsoever on an ETA and the Germans do :kissit:

that's because the GMs know how much you lot would whine if the _expected_ time didn't become the actual time ;)

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Righthandof said:
do i get salary for it? do i get access to the details they do? no-no, so why should i know whats wrong with the server. surely i would do if theyd hire me, or somebody with knowledge of comps, easy.

i bet all of them know more than you, and its not as easy to fix servers as u may think.... couse there are soo meny thing u must check before ur sure what coused it, checking takes time.... not 5 minz...

and thinking they dont have ppl compentent working in the company is pure BS... if they have no clue what they are doing how do the servers run at all....

but as u said that they should hire u, then YOU should have an idea about this kind of stuff.... why it takes sometimes so long to get servers back up, finding the probs, etc....

acctually i think GoA works whit reasonable speed.... i could understand if it took a week to get it up, but they probably will have it up by the end of todays afternoon :p (taking from the german response)

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
that's because the GMs know how much you lot would whine if the _expected_ time didn't become the actual time ;)

sooo true :p

its like when thyd say we get the servers back up at 12:00, i think some ppl will be starting new threads when clock hits 12:01 and the servers arent back..... zomg he sky is falling , GoA lied to us.... pla pla .... they suxxx, cant do theyr job, etc

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
virus?

just saying a technical problem is poor - please givf more information.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
You don't get updates? I get calls every hour or so from Tech support filling me in on whats wrong etc and begging me to come back and play some more. I keep telling them WoW is more fun and they have now said unless I come back they are not going to plug the servers back in... my bad :(

Acrantophis

Fledgling Freddie
Well, you all whine, I can agree the feedback is not the hottest feedback you can get, but I can expect its cause of what flim said.

And for all you whiners out there, i payed my sub with servers beeing down today, nocare about 1 day, we pay 12euro a month to play this game, its dirtcheap for a service wich has been up and running for 5+ years.

And If there aint any rollback ill be happy that they get the servers up.

and oh god at the day goa announces the shut down date of daoc for good, the whine!

/S Acwan

wittor

Can't get enough of FH
Righthandof said:
shit support as usual. now we got a weekend here, where goa wont be working, so we can expect someone from goa to get a clue.. on monday?
ridiculous -> pathetic -> goa :puke:

omg it looks like your weekend is ruined !!1 How the fuck can you possible survive 3 days w/o daoc ?! :rolleyes:

your supposed to go out in the weekend or smth :eek:

hrala

Fledgling Freddie
Kaun_IA said:
i bet all of them know more than you, and its not as easy to fix servers as u may think.... couse there are soo meny thing u must check before ur sure what coused it, checking takes time.... not 5 minz...

and thinking they dont have ppl compentent working in the company is pure BS... if they have no clue what they are doing how do the servers run at all....

but as u said that they should hire u, then YOU should have an idea about this kind of stuff.... why it takes sometimes so long to get servers back up, finding the probs, etc....

acctually i think GoA works whit reasonable speed.... i could understand if it took a week to get it up, but they probably will have it up by the end of todays afternoon :p (taking from the german response)

the way you are talking here,, and in your other posts, i would think you work for goa or are trying to get a job there..

it´s so.

i pay my subs and would like to get the service due for my spent money,

they should have a back up server if one breaksdown they run the backup system.

this shit mostly happens on goa european servers..

well subs are cancelled and ive DL´d the ami version so cya goa

Bahumat

FH is my second home
evzy said:
You don't get updates? I get calls every hour or so from Tech support filling me in on whats wrong etc and begging me to come back and play some more. I keep telling them WoW is more fun and they have now said unless I come back they are not going to plug the servers back in... my bad :(

your so cold hearted :(

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
hrala said:
the way you are talking here,, and in your other posts, i would think you work for goa or are trying to get a job there..

it´s so.

i pay my subs and would like to get the service due for my spent money,

they should have a back up server if one breaksdown they run the backup system.

this shit mostly happens on goa european servers..

well subs are cancelled and ive DL´d the ami version so cya goa

I'd be interested to know how you've cancelled subs with the subscription pages having been down all day also. Whats that i smell? Ah yes, bullshit.

Actually, while its fustrating as hell - taking 10+ servers offline and sorting an error that is potentially present in all of them is not a small task. Tell you what since your so knowledgeable about computers, tell me - what does a router do? What does Modem stand for? What is exception handling?

Don't know the answer to the above? Then i don't think youre qualified to take the piss out of the poor techies or your slightly more IT-literate peers on this forum...

Toel

Loyal Freddie
TheBinarySurfer said:
I'd be interested to know how you've cancelled subs with the subscription pages having been down all day also. Whats that i smell? Ah yes, bullshit.

Actually, while its fustrating as hell - taking 10+ servers offline and sorting an error that is potentially present in all of them is not a small task. Tell you what since your so knowledgeable about computers, tell me - what does a router do? What does Modem stand for? What is exception handling?

Don't know the answer to the above? Then i don't think youre qualified to take the piss out of the poor techies or your slightly more IT-literate peers on this forum...

Couldn't have said it better.

Darkptang

Fledgling Freddie
What does a router do?

To understand what a router does, you need to know a little bit about how the Internet works. The Internet, the huge world-wide computer network that we surf the World Wide Web on, uses the TCP/IP networking protocol. Data sent over a TCP/IP network is broken down into chunks called "packets", and in order for these packets to get where they need to go on the Internet, something is needed to route them to their destinations (hence the name router). The many networks that make up the Internet are connected to each other by routers, and the routers determine what packets go where. Routers are level 3 devices on the OSI model, which means that they function at the network layer. The OSI model has 7 levels, and each one represents a function when it comes to data communication between two or more computers on a computer network. To understand what I'm talking about in the next paragraph, you need to know about the OSI model and what layer the router represents.

When the average computer user thinks of a router, they probably think of the kind that you can purchase at your local computer store, as opposed to the big ones that route packets on the Internet. That smaller kind of router allows you to share an Internet connection with multiple computers without having to use a computer that acts as a "gateway". If you have a computer network at home and the center of it is a hub or a switch, you need to use a computer that acts as a gateway ("host" computer), as hubs and switches cannot do what a router does (hubs and switches are two other devices that you can purchase at your local computer store to create a network between two or more computers). A router can "intelligently" route TCP/IP packets to IP addresses (unique identifiers on a TCP/IP network) at layer 3, while a hub is just a dumb layer 1 device that sends out packets to all of the computers attached to it, regardless of who sent them out and who they're intended for. A switch is a layer 2 device that routes Ethernet frames by MAC address; Ethernet is a networking standard that home networks are based on, a frame is the Ethernet equivalent of a TCP/IP packet (chunk of data), and a MAC address is a computer's unique identifier at layer 2 (datalink) on an Ethernet network. Although a switch is "smarter" than a hub, it still can't do what a router does. The functions that a router performs are necessary for communication between the computers on your network and computers on other networks on the Internet at the network layer (TCP/IP). Probably the most important thing that a router does is perform NAT, which stands for Network Address Translation. NAT is a technology that allows computers on a network behind an Internet connection to communicate with computers outside the network; to the rest of the Internet the network is a single IP address (the one your ISP gave you), and NAT allows for incoming and outgoing connections between the computers on the network who have their own "internal" IP addresses and the computers outside the network who see only the ISP-assigned IP address. A "gateway" computer using Internet connection sharing software like the kind that Windows comes with performs the same functions as a hardware router, but there are some disadvantages that come with using that setup, like how all of the computers on the network lose Internet access if the gateway computer is offline. If you want to share an Internet connection between two or more computers in your home, a hardware router is the best thing to get for it.

What does Modem stand for?

The word "modem" stands for "modulator-demodulator", modem's purpose is to convert digital information to analog signals (modulation), and to convert analog signals back into useful digital information (demodulation).

What is exception handling?

The global concept of exception handling is simple. The idea is to raise some error flag every time something goes wrong. Next, there is a system that is always on the lookout for this error flag. Third, the previous system calls the error handling code if the error flag has been spotted.

The raising of the imaginary error flag is simply called raising or throwing an error. When an error is thrown the overall system responds by catching the error. Surrounding a block of error-sensitive code with exception handling is called trying to execute a block.

One of the most powerful features of exception handling is that an error can be thrown over function boundaries. This means that if one of the deepest functions on the stack has an error, this error can propagate up to the upper function if there is a trying-block of code there. This allows programmers to put the error handling code in one place, such as the main-function of your program.

:m00: yes im bored! :)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
So you managed to get back here (presume you weren't refresh spamming the page) read TheBinarySurfer's post and post all of that in less then 12 minutes? :) Although possible, I do doubt that you didn't just google it all :D

I'd beleive it if you'd been typing something simple but to be writing in essay format, you couldn't have done it that quickly :p

Edit: found where you got it from :D

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/2281

elbeek

Part of the furniture
Righthandof said:
shit support as usual. now we got a weekend here, where goa wont be working, so we can expect someone from goa to get a clue.. on monday?
ridiculous -> pathetic -> goa :puke:

Yet more proof, if any was needed, that you need zero braincells to post bs on FH. Way to go :wanker:

daoc_xianghua

Fledgling Freddie
Sarisir said:
If GOA is all about accomidating diff nationalities, where's the servers for: norway, sweden, denmark, holland etc etc?

And why is it always the english server(s) that take a swing?

simple answer: french company ofc cares about french servers 1000000000000x times more than about any other server, and german servers = most players = most cash = care

english server = low population = low cash + no frenchmen! = who cares rly?!

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
I just hope it comes up again, working properly without any darn bugs we have to live with for ages.

A day downtime is nothing tbh..

Xalin, fix autoloot while you guys are at it ye? :p

Hauwyth

Fledgling Freddie
daoc_xianghua said:
english server = low population = low cash + no frenchmen! = who cares rly?!

Obviously don't play on Glastonbury (French Classic Server) :D

Acrantophis

Fledgling Freddie
TheBinarySurfer said:

Actually I logged in and payed my sub, eventhough I got an error about it not beeing able to process it, i was still able to reach the sub pages, so cancling a sub might be able to happen.

And Xalin, If you read here again, Is the sub processing faulty atm? cause Everything was done accordingly all it said on page was my personal details + this:

Designation: 1month 12euro* (Immediate standing order)

does that mean the
order is cued untill the server is back up?

Blow

Fledgling Freddie
Taking bit long now, so the problem is pretty serious.

Or is this a nice EA action to loose more members so they can say the game is not making money anymore and they have to stop in fall 2007 when WH release.

Bit more info would be pretty nice, if your not a multitask ICT'er then you should be fired, talk and work is pretty easy.

Xalin

[GOA] English Servers GM
Nothing to add to the information already on the website and in this thread sorry.

Blow

Fledgling Freddie
Xalin said:
Nothing to add to the information already on the website and in this thread sorry.

That mean that the technical team havent indentified the source of the problem yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom