Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Pound is at a new low which is fuelling inflation as that increases the cost of imports.

The normal upside to this is that it would make our exports more competitive. So we should be cleaning up on exports right?

Actually no. Our balance of trade is at record lows.

This should be nigh on impossible. Wonder what the cause might be?

Our economy is fucked.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Pound is at a new low which is fuelling inflation as that increases the cost of imports.

The normal upside to this is that it would make our exports more competitive. So we should be cleaning up on exports right?

Actually no. Our balance of trade is at record lows.

This should be nigh on impossible. Wonder what the cause might be?

Our economy is fucked.

Who would have guessed?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'm going on a march, because I want Britain to be about British.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So then Brexiters.

No negiotiations on a US trade deal even in the medium term. So that's decades away (it takes ages with the US once it's started - and we ain't started).

But what's really funny-not-funny about this is our intention to join the "Shit EU":

the new prime minister said her priorities would be joining the trans-Pacific trading partnership

So, an overall smaller market, further away (so harder to do business with and worse for the environment) with lower-quality products - and we have to sign up to their shitty rules (like we had to sign up to the EU) - and allow our market to be flooded with wank. And we've no choice - we won't be sovereign once again when we sign up - we'll be signing up to those trading rules, and won't have a choice. And we're going to look pretty fucking weird because we, well, don't border the pacific.

Meanwhile, 30 miles away, across the channel, Europe looks on in bogglement: We do 500 billion plus trade with the EU, and less than 30 billion with the TPP countries.

Tory voters are, clearly, not to blame. Labour are also beholden to an isolationist wing of their party that wants to deregulate and ditch all our consumer protections in the name of, er, 'freeeeeeedom'.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So then Brexiters.

No negiotiations on a US trade deal even in the medium term. So that's decades away (it takes ages with the US once it's started - and we ain't started).

But what's really funny-not-funny about this is our intention to join the "Shit EU":

So, an overall smaller market, further away (so harder to do business with and worse for the environment) with lower-quality products - and we have to sign up to their shitty rules (like we had to sign up to the EU) - and allow our market to be flooded with wank. And we've no choice - we won't be sovereign once again when we sign up - we'll be signing up to those trading rules, and won't have a choice. And we're going to look pretty fucking weird because we, well, don't border the pacific.

Meanwhile, 30 miles away, across the channel, Europe looks on in bogglement: We do 500 billion plus trade with the EU, and less than 30 billion with the TPP countries.

Tory voters are, clearly, not to blame. Labour are also beholden to an isolationist wing of their party that wants to deregulate and ditch all our consumer protections in the name of, er, 'freeeeeeedom'.
Weren't there protests a few years back about the TPP because it would mean we'd have to agree to follow a set of rules agreed with other countries? :) Admittedly those protests were mainly from the left at the time but the point still stands.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
And Biden isn't going to think about starting a trade deal with the US while we are fucking Ireland off. Not just because of his roots but because the Irish lobby in congress is strong and the EU is a more important partner than the UK.

Gwadien

And Biden isn't going to think about starting a trade deal with the US while we are fucking Ireland off. Not just because of his roots but because the Irish lobby in congress is strong and the EU is a more important partner than the UK.

If only someone informed us of this all those years ago :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
If only someone informed us of this all those years ago :(
I said it would never happen even when Trump was in. He and Bojo were just talking fantasy shit with no real substance or effort.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Trump was being opportunistic - he saw the opportunity to weaken the EU as a bloc and spouted some shit that retard voters sucked down like the lashings of bullshit jizz from <insert tory spokesperson here> that they love.

I honestly think the higher-ups want a bit of Facism back. Easiest way to manage us.

Consider this: More than half of our legislature are unelected. More than half. And of that half, the defining feature of them is that most of them helped fund the Tory party (and bought heredity in their political posts).

I'll say again: More than half the people involved in our legislature are unelected, from privileged classes. They're going to be fine, and EU or TPP membership doesn't really matter to them.

It'd be nice to live in a democracy wouldn't it. Much better than this.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
House of Lords reform would have been nice although its power is pretty limited in reality.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The CONSERVATIVE PARTY MANIFESTO said:
Our goals for British trade are accordingly ambitious. We aim to have 80 per cent of UK trade covered by free trade agreements within the next three years, starting with the USA, Australia, New Zealand and Japan

@Embattle? @Bodhi?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
More golf courses to promote biodiversity

I don't buy things from the US so it doesn't affect me

Saved you the effort @Scouse ;)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Well we seem to do plenty of trade with the US without a deal, so if we don't get one I suspect I'll sleep at night, quite soundly.

Plus it saves two years of Remainers boring on about chlorinated chicked, hormone fed beef, selling the NHS or any of the other talking points they've got out of The Guardian, so it's a win overall.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

And here we go. Brexit in a nutshell.

Hundreds of Britain’s environmental laws covering water quality, sewage pollution, clean air, habitat protections and the use of pesticides are lined up for removal from UK law

Brexiteers on here - tell us either A) how your vote made our lives better or, B) how you didn't see it coming.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Can't read it @caLLous but you get the gist from the title.

Still - none of the Brexiteers have been on to tell us how Brexit has made our lives better in any way. Not even the flimsiest of evidence or argument has been put forward - but I'm assuming that they all still support the way they voted?

Gwadien

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Arent most large beer brands usually brewed under license locally? Except for the "export" variety i guess

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Most of the time, Carlsberg Export is brewed about 10 miles from me, in the same place as all the other Carlsberg pish. Smells lovely if you happen to be passing through town some days though.

Edit, and even that is part of Marstons now.

It can actually be quite cool, we have British pepper and spice near work, which makes the whole estate smell like a spice cupboard, then into town to smell the hops/malt.

Gwadien

Most of the time, Carlsberg Export is brewed about 10 miles from me, in the same place as all the other Carlsberg pish. Smells lovely if you happen to be passing through town some days though.

It can actually be quite cool, we have British pepper and spice near work, which makes the whole estate smell like a spice cupboard, then into town to smell the hops/malt.

I used to have a Hovis factory near me...

Used to, it's now a plastic place :(

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Export is brewed in the UK, but is much closer in taste to actual Danish Carlsberg, and is actually quite nice. The normal British Carlsberg is awful.

I live just down the road from the Mars factory in Slough. Smells like melted chocolate for quite a wide radius. I also know quite a few people who work there so free choccy is never far away.

DaGaffer

Have you noticed a difference in the amount of smaller UK brands in French supermarkets? Id imagine the bigger (and generally not as good) brands still make their way to the shelves.

Tesco still have A reasonable number of British brands on the shelf over here, but the other two chains and the German discounters have very little British stuff any more, not just beer, everything. It's probably most noticeable in M&S, which doesn't feel like it has anything like the range it had in food, especially the really fast moving stuff like sandwiches

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Seems odd that it would be locally produced products (stuff like sandwiches) that they are short on.

DaGaffer

Seems odd that it would be locally produced products (stuff like sandwiches) that they are short on.

Believe it or not, they used to be flown in from the UK every morning and it was still profitable; so they've now gone to Irish suppliers and loads of range has gone (i assume because M&S in the UK have an army of chefs and food scientists churning out new recipes all the time), so they're now as samey as all of the other Irish sandwich shops. On the flip side we got our first pret a manger in Dublin a couple of weeks ago, not that i really visit sandwich shops much now I work from home.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Believe it or not, they used to be flown in from the UK every morning and it was still profitable; so they've now gone to Irish suppliers and loads of range has gone (i assume because M&S in the UK have an army of chefs and food scientists churning out new recipes all the time), so they're now as samey as all of the other Irish sandwich shops. On the flip side we got our first pret a manger in Dublin a couple of weeks ago, not that i really visit sandwich shops much now I work from home.

I do have to admit, I do miss the Pret in town, after moving to work out of town. Take a packed lunch these days though, food vans are extortion and the Greggs (2 mins walk from work) would rot my arteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom