Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Some random company begrudgingly moves its EU operations to *checks notes* Lithuania.

Easy win, pay €2 an hour.

Minimum wage in Lithuania is €730 a month, what’s that? £600 or there abouts.

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Can't read it @caLLous - post it in full here?

Revolut, some random company one of the UK's biggest fintech companies, cannot provide services to its EU customers from the UK because of "legislation introduced after the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union" so is having to move them to a business it had to spin up last year because of Brexit. Not sure what it has to do with minimum wages, it's a passporting issue more than anything.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It has nothing to do with minimum wage, except for the fact that all things aren't equal in the EU :) minimum wage for one, is not the same as the next :)

I was ofc being silly with €2 an hour, it's actually a massive €5.something. Anyone would think the EU is basically rich nations abusing not-so-rich nations, in a bubble.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Revolut, some random company one of the UK's biggest fintech companies, cannot provide services to its EU customers from the UK because of "legislation introduced after the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union" so is having to move them to a business it had to spin up last year because of Brexit. Not sure what it has to do with minimum wages, it's a passporting issue more than anything.

HUGE at 162 mil for the year. Massive, oh wait, no.

To put it into perspective, we do nearly that..and have ~100 employees

To put it another way, Revolut Ltd, company number 08804411, according to their P&L haven't got a pot to piss in, never have. 200mil loss in 2020. *at risk* which basically means, they are about to drown.

No wonder they are now seeking to abuse cheap-EU workers.

Last edited:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I hope they don't fail, I love Revolut, it's a really good service.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Edit, and for reference, they lost 32 mil in 2018 and 107mil in 2019 and as of YE 2020 (200mil loss) had 156mil to debtors. (debtors is bad btw, it's money in the wind)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Hmmm, Revolut are also closing their Irish office. Brexit is almost certainly a factor, but it isn't the only one. The problem with Revolut is they have essentially a payments service that people love, but there's fuck all money in payments these days (except for FX), and to be a "real" (retail) bank, then you need lending; loans and mortgages. Revolut had planned to apply for real banking licences in the UK and Ireland for that very purpose (instead of emoney licences) and both countries turned out to be poor choices (because of Brexit and retail banking in Ireland is a costly nightmare), so it looks like they're retrenching for a bit of a rethink.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sounds like marketing. In reality, they simply don't have positive cash flow

DaGaffer

Sounds like marketing. In reality, they simply don't have positive cash flow

They don't need positive cash flow because they are (were?) funded by cheap money like lots of other digital "unicorns". But, we're in stormy seas and I would imagine Revolut has been highly exposed to lots of issues at once; Brexit and the crypto crash would be two major ones. They were actually supposed to IPO this year, but that's all gone quiet.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They don't need positive cash flow because they are (were?) funded by cheap money like lots of other digital "unicorns". But, we're in stormy seas and I would imagine Revolut has been highly exposed to lots of issues at once; Brexit and the crypto crash would be two major ones. They were actually supposed to IPO this year, but that's all gone quiet.
The CEO said he doesn't want the IPO until they hit a certain revenue target (which is like 5-6x of their last actual revenue) but they're "worth" £30bn according to funding rounds. It sounds like it's run more like a snazzy tech startup than a financial institution and there's hesitance (reluctance?) from the FCA to issue them with a UK licence.

DaGaffer

The CEO said he doesn't want the IPO until they hit a certain revenue target (which is like 5-6x of their last actual revenue) but they're "worth" £30bn according to funding rounds. It sounds like it's run more like a snazzy tech startup than a financial institution and there's hesitance (reluctance?) from the FCA to issue them with a UK licence.

Having worked in digital in an Irish bank until very recently, Revolut's ability to roll out products incredibly quickly has raised lots of eyebrows. While we were certainly far too slow (I managed to deliver an app based loan product in six months and it was like I'd performed some kind of black magic), it struck us that Revolut were rolling out stuff that was inside the time window of the Central Bank's own approval processes, meaning they could only do what they did (at least in Ireland) because they didn't have a banking licence.

I'm told the CEO and senior management team are all awful cunts and Revolut is a terrible place to work, and apparently Bunq and Starling are great; as I'm now over 50 I doubt I'd be offered a job by any of them.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
A bit like Klarna is not supposed to be a good place to work…

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I've used Monzo for years which is one of those that started off a top up payment card but is now a proper bank. I really like it and wouldn't really consider anything else now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

It was said this was going to deliver a “gold standard” of sustainable fisheries and make Britain a “world leader” in protecting the sea. The result has been rather different. Last December ministers and officials signed an agreement with the EU that allowed 65% of all catch limits to be set above scientific advice.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh... why don't you just stop being remoaners!! This couldn't possibly be related to Brexit!!! :rolleyes:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The stock market thing isn't in the slightest - that's purely down to the quite baffling success of the most valuable company traded on there - LVMH - and how their shares are worth 3 times as much as our biggest fish, Royal Dutch Shell. Take LVMH out of the equation - and Royal Dutch Shell if you insist - and the LSE is still significantly larger.

However we weren't told when we left that the French would still be better at punting overpriced fizz and handbags to the world than we would - so much better they can even keep doing it in a global economic downturn. Grrr Brexit and all that.

Or probably it would have happened anyway. Probably seems to be a good word for ex BOE (who left under a cloud) chap up there also quoted, so I'll go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom