Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
He doesn't see experts as experts but as negative nancies who are remoaners at heart - this is the issue to any statements made on Brexit to Job.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
There are just as many trade and economic experts who say its a non event.

Of course trade and economic 'experts' outside of basic rules are just crystal ball peddlers.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

Of course trade and economic 'experts' outside of basic rules are just crystal ball peddlers.
The contributors to that article aren't predicting recessions or anything opinionated - they're literally describing the processes which the UK will have to adhere to if this happens or if that happens.

Yoni

with respect @Job you are a trained plumber and I do not see anyone on this forum telling you that inspite of your training and experience you are doing your job wrong. There are indiviudals on this forum who work with finance, exchange rates, markets and specific industries every day as well is seasoned professionals who are commenting on Brexit, what will happen and the risks.... please stop telling these people that they do not know how to do their jobs..... you just look ignorant, uneducated and retarded.

Job

They are quoting the process...their biased spin on how much that is a issue is an opinion.

There are just as many experts who disagree...

Just look at that sewerage pit of experts and consultants who worked out the timescales and costing for HS2....they were just best guessing with no consequence it would seem.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Except there, quite literally, aren't. The vast weight of economic opinion and the opinions of people who actually negotiate trade deals have pointed out the world of shit the UK faces.

Anything can be classed as a "blip" over sufficiently long timescales, but if that timescale leaves most of those who voted in the referendum dead or retired before the blip is corrected (as indicated by The Right Hon Member for the 19th century), then it's all a bit moot.

Job

Well you're determined to believe this opinion because you are biased against brexit.
But a short history of events since the vote has proven 90% of doom laden predictions by experts to be complete boloks...and this one will join that extensive list.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well you're determined to believe this opinion because you are biased against brexit.
But a short history of events since the vote has proven 90% of doom laden predictions by experts to be complete boloks...and this one will join that extensive list.
Which events?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yep. Which events?

Come on @Job. Evidence your opinions. Don't just say "nah it's all shit". Show us why it's all shit.

Yoni

I want to know why @Job thinks economic experts are wrong and why you believe Tommy and Piers and your mates down the pub are right? With numerical proof ffs...

DaGaffer

I'm not determined to believe anything; but here's the thing, have you actually bothered to read the opinions of Pro-Brexit economists? They're a distinct minority, but when you read the opinions of the most high-profile, e.g. Patrick Minford, the picture they paint isn't pretty for exactly the type of northern former Labour voters who "lent" their votes to the Tories. Minford expects manufacturing to go pretty much entirely, leaving behind "industries such as design, marketing and hi-tech" (his words), which he's fine with as he believes this is OK for overall economic performance (most economists disagree by the way as they don't believe the latter can make up for the loss of the former), but where are all those design, marketing and high tech jobs based? Not in Doncaster or Darlington that's for damn sure.

So when you even have the economists on your side of the argument pointing out the carnage that's on it's way, it makes me think that its probably not going to be pretty.

Job

All of that is standard predictions for any economy in Europe facing world changes.
As the ex bank of England chief said....we are facing much..much bigger issues than brexit, its nothing more than a bureaucratic blip.

The UK economy has defied years of doom from almost entirely remain based 'experts'.
The city was supposed to bleed into the continent...oh well.

Brexit: Over 1000 EU financial firms planning to open UK offices

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Do you need reminding yet again that Brexit hasn't actually happened yet?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You've failed to understand this @Job. WORDS m8. They express meaning:
More than 1000 banks, asset managers, payments firms and insurers from the European Union are planning to open offices in post-Brexit Britain so they can continue to serve UK clients.

Because they can't "continue to serve" UK clients (a massive disruption to UK business right there).

And 1000 financial services businesses opening offices is peanuts - only the bigger ones will be able to afford to - so we're cutting off lots of firms - both to the UK and from the UK to the EU.

As the UK is the premier financial centre, which side do you think is going to suffer from the loss of access for small businesses? (Hint: We've LOADS of small financial services companies who couldn't afford to do the opposite - i.e. open branches in Frankfurt).

Sucks to be a small UK financial company in the post-brexit world eh?

and;
The new offices would help financial firms counter the loss of business as unrestricted two-way access between the UK and EU comes to an end

As explicitly stated - this is to help counter the losses they are going to experience. Help counter - not "new business". It's a financial LOSS either way. But again guess which side it's bigger for?

But what would I know. I only work in the financial services industry. But when I'm out of the door at the end of March I'll just take a lead from you - I'm clearly an expert on plumbing, despite not knowing a single thing about it, so I'll just take your jobs instead.

Job

Oh come on..you're a contract worker, shit happens and would of without brexit.
The financial services are the first against the wall when the next level automation takes hold.

Oh and 400 are first timers

Yoni

What level of automation are you talking about?

DaGaffer

All of that is standard predictions for any economy in Europe facing world changes.
As the ex bank of England chief said....we are facing much..much bigger issues than brexit, its nothing more than a bureaucratic blip.

The UK economy has defied years of doom from almost entirely remain based 'experts'.
The city was supposed to bleed into the continent...oh well.

Brexit: Over 1000 EU financial firms planning to open UK offices

No, Minford was specifically talking about Brexit-related impacts, not the broader global economy. Nice try.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I wonder how many Brexiteers who rely on Minford as 'their' economist have actually read him?

The bits that aren't bonkers paint a pretty shitty picture of post-Brexit Britain.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh come on..you're a contract worker, shit happens and would of without brexit.
I presume that you're talking about me being out of the door at the end of March.

I'm training my Polish replacement right now. The split is logical after all - jobs that have been performed perfectly fine from the UK are being migrated to Europe. Brexit is certainly a driver in this. The offer of permanent employment was made (which I would have taken, it's a very good job - lots of money to the taxman) but when Brexit became an actual thing it was withdrawn.

As has been told, to my face, by the bank.

So on this point - fuck you @Job. You're a cunt who is trying to lecture me about what's happening in my own life.

On your other points - you know just as much about any of this as you do about the above. Try listening to people who have direct experience of things. You might learn something.

DaGaffer

I wonder how many Brexiteers who rely on Minford as 'their' economist have actually read him?

The bits that aren't bonkers paint a pretty shitty picture of post-Brexit Britain.

Exactly. And yet Minford's "Economists For Free Trade" (formerly "Economists For Brexit") is the body routinely quoted by pro-Brexit press and the Tories; and yet people rarely seem to quote any of their actual content. Odd that.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
@Job you're more pro Brexit than anyone here is anti Brexit, by a country mile, so that's why when you Google 'positive reports on the economy post brexit' then post the first link on here, everyone finds it hilarious that you call anyone else bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom