Politics POLL: Brexit Withdrawal Agreement

If you were an MP would you vote for or against it?

• FOR

• AGAINST

Results are only viewable after voting.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Um, if you take out Wales and Scotland that would make it the 4th most populous. :confused:
I love the way you're correct, but we're carrying on regardless because populous sort of seems like the right word....is there a word for most densely populated.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My boomer friends all retired in their early 50s with no money worries whatsoever and spend their days going to concerts, dances, holidays or following the England cricket team around the world.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So this all equates to the last generations having it easy...we didnt lose the most.

We can go down a multitude of roads with the aftermath of ww2 and to say they had no aid is ridiculous...Germany was rebuilt, we could have wiped it off the face of the Earth and absorbed the western half into other countries.

The original tired argument is that baby boomers had it easy and have fucked over the youth....there is sooo much wrong with that statement it would take a book to cover it.

We had more than twice the Marshall Aid that Germany or France did (there’s a persistent national mythology about this), whilst having suffered less material and human damage than either. We chose to spend the money on maintaining our tottering military, while the Germans, who weren’t allowed a military until 1955, spent theirs on reconstruction, as did the French (who then got the Americans to give them separate money for their military via Indochina).

Britain repeatedly made bad choices about its postwar economy, but baby boomers are the group that have largely done best out of the whole era; their parents’ NI contributions underpinned the NHS, education and social programmes they grew up with and they grew up in a world of full employment (especially at the start of their working lives), cheap (relatively speaking) housing, and free education; subsequent generations have seen all of those things eroded. But the most egregious thing is boomers voted us in to Europe, reaped the benefits, and then voted us out, even as they will be the people least negatively affected by the decision.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
we could have wiped it off the face of the Earth
Even Hitler didn't want to do that to other countries. Even that asshat understood that the inhabitants of a country are to (generally) be protected and you're fighting over who rules them - not wiping them out.

You really do need to take a good hard look at yourself and how you see the world. Because you're properly fucked up.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I just do not know where you get your history from @Job - it is like you were taught differently at school?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I just do not know where you get your history from @Job - it is like you were taught differently at school?
It's doubtful WWII was covered - the focus was generally on earlier history further back in our curriculums.

I remember it weird that my sister's kids were being taught it. I was like "don't you know this shit from talking to your granddad and watching telly anyway?" - then I realised it was my granddad...

Job

We had more than twice the Marshall Aid that Germany or France did (there’s a persistent national mythology about this), whilst having suffered less material and human damage than either. We chose to spend the money on maintaining our tottering military, while the Germans, who weren’t allowed a military until 1955, spent theirs on reconstruction, as did the French (who then got the Americans to give them separate money for their military via Indochina).

Britain repeatedly made bad choices about its postwar economy, but baby boomers are the group that have largely done best out of the whole era; their parents’ NI contributions underpinned the NHS, education and social programmes they grew up with and they grew up in a world of full employment (especially at the start of their working lives), cheap (relatively speaking) housing, and free education; subsequent generations have seen all of those things eroded. But the most egregious thing is boomers voted us in to Europe, reaped the benefits, and then voted us out, even as they will be the people least negatively affected by the decision.
The problem is the notion that the next generation are being fucked over because its harder to buy a house.

Well boo fucking hoo.

Every generation has some shit to live with and in reality they are the most pampered, entitled bunch of self absorbed twerps on the planet.
This whole woke/trans progressive is a symptom of a generation with so much time to ponder what if that they think they invented it.

I had a relatively priviliged upbringing and got to fly jets to holidays back in the mid 70s....but now thats the ungrateful norm...brand new car when you pass your test?
All my younger relatives got that...they are 120 a month on lease.
Games consoles...50 inch tvs, no fucking polio, central heating, driven to school...its all the norm not the exception.
Theyve done fuck all...just sit back and let the chinese make everything for buttons and complain if someone even flinches if they announce they are a woman every other tuesday.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
You're a joke Job, an actual joke.

Youre sitting there semi retired in your what? 50s? telling me that we're lazy and we're an ungrateful generation.

Bitch pls.

Can you also stop painting entire generations with the same brush that you're painting your relatives with.

I didn't get a car, I didn't get lessons, I didn't get money at uni, I got my own insurance etc etc.

Frankly with how good the boomer generation had it, they should be paying down to help out future generations, so long as they don't, I'm happy for them to be gassed when they retire.

Fuck society.

Job

You get most of that on benefits.

You dont actually live in the real world.
I hardly think I'm referring to you, unless you're a genz.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Ignoring the fact that blaming all your problems on Boomers isn't really the best way to fix society, I'm not sure I'd say they had it that much better than us at all. They had to rebuild the country after Job's idol flattened most of it, had massively lower life expectancies, none of the technology we take for granted, car accidents typically resulted in death, and real, absolute poverty was many times the level it is now.

Only takes one watch of the Monty Python "Bloody Luxury" sketch to see what things were like back then.

I'm sure you're referring to how well Boomers did out of the property market - and yes, they did well. However so did all of the Gen X people I grew up with, who bought houses in the late 90's / early 00's. I'm sure if I had invested in property back then, I would be sitting just as pretty, however I chose to make my investments in golf, coke and hookers. Do I blame Boomers for me not being on the housing ladder? Not in the slightest, as it was my choice not to join the real world at that time.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ignoring the fact that blaming all your problems on Boomers isn't really the best way to fix society, I'm not sure I'd say they had it that much better than us at all. They had to rebuild the country after Job's idol flattened most of it, had massively lower life expectancies, none of the technology we take for granted, car accidents typically resulted in death, and real, absolute poverty was many times the level it is now.

Only takes one watch of the Monty Python "Bloody Luxury" sketch to see what things were like back then.

I'm sure you're referring to how well Boomers did out of the property market - and yes, they did well. However so did all of the Gen X people I grew up with, who bought houses in the late 90's / early 00's. I'm sure if I had invested in property back then, I would be sitting just as pretty, however I chose to make my investments in golf, coke and hookers. Do I blame Boomers for me not being on the housing ladder? Not in the slightest, as it was my choice not to join the real world at that time.
The wife and I both made about 60k when we sold our houses to move in so we did OK true. But there’s no way I can retire at 50.

Those a bit younger than me are fucked on house prices.

Bodhi

The wife and I both made about 60k when we sold our houses to move in so we did OK true. But there’s no way I can retire at 50.

Those a bit younger than me are fucked on house prices.

OK Boomer.

Seriously though, I'm not aware of anyone, Boomer or otherwise, who has managed to retire at 50 whilst working for someone else (Coppers / Firemen not included). Only real way to do that has always been to start your own business.

We are looking at purchasing where we live right now, as it seems attainable for the amount we are both earning (if we stop the Coke and Hookers investments) - agree it would be out of reach for a graduate or equivalent, but then if I was a graduate or equivalent a 3 Storey Townhouse might not be the best property to look at. Our old flat was around the 100k mark, was perfectly comfortable and would be a much better bet for a first time buyer.

Appreciate the story is a little different for those in London, to which I'd reply - don't live in London then :)

Job

Even Hitler didn't want to do that to other countries. Even that asshat understood that the inhabitants of a country are to (generally) be protected and you're fighting over who rules them - not wiping them out.

You really do need to take a good hard look at yourself and how you see the world. Because you're properly fucked up.
Because I said we could of?

After starting two frickin world wars we decided to rebuild Germany and now everything we do is based around containing her.

Thatcher was right.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Seriously though, I'm not aware of anyone, Boomer or otherwise, who has managed to retire at 50 whilst working for someone else (Coppers / Firemen not included). Only real way to do that has always been to start your own business.
Wow. I know loads. Everyone who was in their 30s or 40s when I started work at the Halifax as a 21 year old.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

After starting two frickin world wars we decided to rebuild Germany and now everything we do is based around containing her.

Thatcher was right.
Could HAVE.

English please.

Job

Ha..that one, could of is better.

The answer (which is not a trick answer) is that of is usually a preposition, but also may function as a verb, typically when used as a substitution for have, as in ‘I could of written it correct, but wanted to see what you’d say if I didn’t.’ (Slightly longer pause while we wait for the reader to erupt with anger over this use, and over the fact that we enter this sense of of in our dictionary, and then again after reader cross-references several other dictionaries and finds that most of them also provide an entry for of as an auxiliary verb).

All fashion bullshit of course....thats just some made up crap by academics.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ha..that one, could of is better.

The answer (which is not a trick answer) is that of is usually a preposition, but also may function as a verb, typically when used as a substitution for have, as in ‘I could of written it correct, but wanted to see what you’d say if I didn’t.’ (Slightly longer pause while we wait for the reader to erupt with anger over this use, and over the fact that we enter this sense of of in our dictionary, and then again after reader cross-references several other dictionaries and finds that most of them also provide an entry for of as an auxiliary verb).

All fashion bullshit of course....thats just some made up crap by academics.
What a load have crap.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Thatcher was right.
Could have... Words, @Job

And yes. Because you said we could have. Because that means you consider wiping out an entire country a valid action we "could have" taken.

Even Hitler would never have considered that an action that in any way should be taken. But then you're the sort of twat that thinks flinging nuclear bombs and wiping out entire peoples because of the actions of their politicians is a reasonable option. And amongst that subset of humans lies people who have actually thought about what that means, but would do it anyway (which is scary, because some will get voted in, like Trump).

In graphical terms:
upload_2020-1-21_14-34-27.png
Colours are also important - people who would use nukes are all pinko gays. People who know what that means but would do it anyway are extra pinko.

Hippies are outside, because thats what people who would use nukes think the sane part of the human population are all...

Edit: Gawd Damn @Wij, stealing my thunder :eek:
(admittedly ages ago, but for fucks sake, @Job's grammar is fucking awful)

Last edited:

DaGaffer

The boomers got the house and the pension. Gen x gets the house but for most it is the pension as final salary proved too expensive for the real world. Millennials got “yeah, you’re working in the gig economy until you’re 80 chump”. Gen z will get “Work? Don’t be ridiculous”.

And the Yorkshireman sketch was clearly harking back to the thirties.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well yes. The Pythons, being young boomers at the time, were taking the piss out of their forebears, not themselves.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well yes. The Pythons, being young boomers at the time, were taking the piss out of their forebears, not themselves.
Forebears who perhaps rightly were looking at the boomers and saying "you've never had it so good".

Job

Could have... Words, @Job

And yes. Because you said we could have. Because that means you consider wiping out an entire country a valid action we "could have" taken.

Even Hitler would never have considered that an action that in any way should be taken. But then you're the sort of twat that thinks flinging nuclear bombs and wiping out entire peoples because of the actions of their politicians is a reasonable option. And amongst that subset of humans lies people who have actually thought about what that means, but would do it anyway (which is scary, because some will get voted in, like Trump).

In graphical terms:
View attachment 40986
Colours are also important - people who would use nukes are all pinko gays. People who know what that means but would do it anyway are extra pinko.

Hippies are outside, because thats what people who would use nukes think the sane part of the human population are all...

Edit: Gawd Damn @Wij, stealing my thunder :eek:
(admittedly ages ago, but for fucks sake, @Job's grammar is fucking awful)

All the hippies grow up and smell the roses

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
All the hippies grow up and smell the roses
Whereas cunts would bring about the destruction of the planet because they're too dumb to realise that smelling roses is exactly what humans should do with them.

Bodhi

The boomers got the house and the pension. Gen x gets the house but for most it is the pension as final salary proved too expensive for the real world. Millennials got “yeah, you’re working in the gig economy until you’re 80 chump”. Gen z will get “Work? Don’t be ridiculous”.

And of course Boomers didn't have any negatives to balance that out. No aftermath of a bloody World War, no lower life expectancy or quality of life, no cycling 8 miles for work as they couldn't afford a car, no tenement buildings with outside lavvies etc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And of course Boomers didn't have any negatives to balance that out. No aftermath of a bloody World War, no lower life expectancy or quality of life, no cycling 8 miles for work as they couldn't afford a car, no tenement buildings with outside lavvies etc.
Luxury.

They weren't getting bombed by ze germans :)

Edit: And cycling 8 miles to work is infinitely preferable to motoring. I dream of the day I can do that as there's *so* many upsides that I wouldn't have realised when I tooled around in my car everywhere.

Edit edit: Yes. Even on wet days.

DaGaffer

All those things were addressed during the Boomers’ formative years; that’s actually the point; over their lifetime quality of life got measurably better, and so did their aspirations; their parents had not only had the War; they’d had the depression and FAR more lost fathers than the Boomers ever had to deal with.

Other than cheap consumer durables and an increased lifespan that is now being offset by having to work until you’re older, quality of life, and more importantly, quality of aspiration; has gone into reverse.

Job

Not to worry, Genx and z will end up getting the blame when they are in their sixties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom