Planetside \o>

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
I re-subbed to this last night after talking about it in another thread. I find it pretty amazing that I still love this game. It's not something you can play "full-time" but it's the perfect game to kill an hour or so, when it's raining outside and there's nothing else to do, which is pretty much all I use games for these days.

ANYWHO. Anyone from off-topic playing this at the moment? You'll find me tearing it up on VS under the name NikonTC :D

Bahumat

FH is my second home
You got any good video's of it as it always intrigued me.

I wouldn't know a good youtube clip if it hit me in the face!

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdzKFSfClGI&mode=related&search=

This is a fairly good example of what your typical fight will be like as a noobie. Planetside is better than any game i've known at not letting the level divide totally cripple a noob who's just started playing the game. The game mechanics do take some getting used to, like any game, but once you've acheived that, it's simply a case of finding your niche. (i.e, flying, support, hacking, engineering etc)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I think i'd quite like the stealth/spy side of thing.

Gonna have a read :)

thx for links

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I think i'd quite like the stealth/spy side of thing.

Gonna have a read :)

thx for links

I loved planetside, my sniping skills are r0x!

Shame you cant one shot people with your sniper rifle, makes it a little pointless when you are blowing peoples head offs and not killing them! :<

My crowning achievment would be blowing up a BFR with my bolt rifle, two shots and it went bang! :D

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
are there still lots of active players on the PS servers?

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Never played this. What's the general story/aim with it? :p

Laddey

FH is my second home

Personally i couldn't get right into it. To put a long story short, you port to bases and either protect them or capture them. Shoot shit, hack shit, revive shit.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
did the Mechs/Battlegears get taken out, or some worthwhile counter to them now ?

was pretty annoying last time I played PS

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie

Three factions, Terren Republic, Vanu Sovrenity, New Conglomerate. All battling on a world called Auraxis. The world is divided up into several continents, and on each continent is a number of facilities. These facilities can be captured by any faction, and each facility will provide bonuses to the faction on that continent. For example, if you take a Technology Plant facility, then your faction will be able to produce the vehicles and weapons that rely on having a tech plant.

There isn't much of an "official" storyline to the game. And I'm far from an expert on Pside currently, as it takes quite a while to get to grips with everything. So I'm sure someone can provide a better overview than this. I did make a short video a while ago of me just messing about soloing. It's nothing special but for anyone who wants to see what combat is like it's worth a look. youtube is being really slow uploading it at the moment but i'll post the url in a while.

As for the populations, the euro server is still fine. If you log on at primetime there is always going to be a three-way skirmish on a continent. And at the weekends I imagine there will be even better ones.

Vid url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8V-SgLQXR0

Corran

Part of the furniture
something i used to go back to now and again. Usual tactic was to get a spawn truck thing, go for a drive into the hills near a base being attacked/defended. Set it up then start sniping everyone off. Always good fun :)

not played it in awhile though so dunno what it like now

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
pfft, the Mobile Base was there to clear minefields and cause havoc and mayhem in the enemy base!

too bad those Battlegears are too big to be driven over :/

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Play Planetside here also, am on Werner, TR.
The Infiltrator suit is amazing fun, go find a hill with some sniping campers... take the complete hill out :D

Its worth buying as its so cheap now, with a months free play as well. Like someone said earlier, its not an all dayer (well, depends on the action) but you can spend hours on there.

Great game and pretty much runs on everything out there, so its not going to force you to upgrade like so many games do.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Making me tempted to play it again.

Got some great memories of it. Best bit is blatently getting an organised squad or a group of squads dropping in from a galaxy on to the roof of a base where a massive seige is taking place and basically winning the fight for your team :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Heard good things about this, really want to check it out; just can't be bothered.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Looks too much like Unreal with a 3rd person view to me but then with worse graphics :(

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
Looks too much like Unreal with a 3rd person view to me but then with worse graphics :(

That's definately not a description anyone who'd played it would ever use :) For starters it's an MMO, not just "kill to get a good score" like unreal. You gather Battle experiance points as you kill people/capture points. battle points lead to improved battle ranks, which in turn gives points that you can spend on new "certifications" for example, Air Cavalry. Which lets you fly various aircraft etc. The graphics aren't awesome compared to some of todays fps's. That's true, but what it lacks in gfx it makes up in gameplay and atmosphere.

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
The video doesn't do it justice. And ofc its not gonna have true fps graphics its a mmorpg. I'd imagine theres a heck load more calculations flying in a fpsmmorpg than a standard mmo. Plus judging it on utube qual vid (Y)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
judging from the video it looks pretty crappy tbh, is it a monthly fee one?

Laddey

FH is my second home
judging from the video it looks pretty crappy tbh, is it a monthly fee one?

Ye i think it is. I'm pretty sure its free until BR6 - Won't gain anymore BR EXP after that. Can still play though.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
did the Mechs/Battlegears get taken out, or some worthwhile counter to them now ?

was pretty annoying last time I played PS

you mean BFR's?

They have been downgraded a bit. Shield isn't as good, nowhere near as good as they used to be.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
you mean BFR's?

They have been downgraded a bit. Shield isn't as good, nowhere near as good as they used to be.

Good isnt the word, BFRS used to be stupidly overpowered, made a lot of people pissed off and /quit!

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Good isnt the word, BFRS used to be stupidly overpowered, made a lot of people pissed off and /quit!

They are pretty shitty now, alright if you got a nice gunner on a colossus..

Thadius

Part of the furniture
They are pretty shitty now, alright if you got a nice gunner on a colossus..

I liked gunning for a guy I met a few times on the server

Shame Im not high enough BR to get the BFR skills :<

But I prefer sniping, even if you cant hurt people realisticly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom