People's opinion on: American's

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Not heard of Darwin then?
You very obviously havent
Darwin simply states (paraphrased obviously, you can google the direct quote), that the physical traits of a organism are moulded in accordance to their enviroment.
In fact the traditional line of evolution, which Darwin used (neandathals) as a basis for his theory, today it is generally believed to have come to its end. Instead they theorised that this line was made extinct by Homo habalis.
Again not theorising why we are how we are, and apes are not.

Can't explain something, it must be a "higher being" :m00:

Remember the good ole days when "higher beings" was responsible for such cool things as.

Sun Rise/Set
The Weather
Disease
Natural Disasters
I didnt say that at all, i said it was just as stupid to say there was no "helping hand" in the genetic tree than there is to say that there was defnitely was.

The human genome project in fact showed there is a huge gap between the traditionally associated chimp and the human genome, there is a paper by David Dewitt if your interested log into your local library and pull it out

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I think he just finds it ironic that slowly and surely religion is being proved wrong, and the fundies still argue till they're blue in the face that they're right.

Make no mistake there are plenty of things we don't know for sure yet, evolution hasn't been proved yet due to the "missing link" which im sure is a term all of you have heard of.

But hey! I suppose there's loads of talking snakes tempting people to eat apples all over the world. :p

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
But hey! I suppose there's loads of talking snakes tempting people to eat apples all over the world. :p

:] On that note... WHAT colour (skin) were Adam and Eve, and without using science, explain why there are multi-coloured people on Earth.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
God must have came down and had a big poop on Africa, Middle east & India & then had a wee on east asia! :p

However that still doesn't explain the existance of gingers.

Overdriven

That's what I love... Logically (Bible logic xD) Adam and Eve were in some 'holy place' where they had to do nothing. IF they were black (STFU at being PC today) every person, in the land would be black - Unless there were genetic mutations. - How do you explain whites? Also, if this were the begining of time. You can't mention 'other lands' - As they'd have no method of getting to them, as god left them behind. HAH.

If they were white, they'd continuously be white; due to pigmentation of skin.

If one was black and one was white, they'd continuously become whiter.

etc.

Whole story is illogicial.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I think he just finds it ironic that slowly and surely religion is being proved wrong, and the fundies still argue till they're blue in the face that they're right.
I beg to differ, but this has already been discussed time and time again,
i just find it funny people who claim to be "open minded" are very much the oposite. I would go as far as to say they are the athiest(sp?) version of Jahovis witnesses
Make no mistake there are plenty of things we don't know for sure yet, evolution hasn't been proved yet due to the "missing link" which im sure is a term all of you have heard of.
The world was also flat remember ^^

But hey! I suppose there's loads of talking snakes tempting people to eat apples all over the world. :p[/QUOTE]
Well it could be argued that the powers the be at the time lost the true meaning behind said passages, in all likelyhood it was a metaphor given reality in the similar manner a myth is over time.

:] On that note... WHAT colour (skin) were Adam and Eve, and without using science, explain why there are multi-coloured people on Earth.
Because of the enviroment they lived in ;)
In the same manner if a caucasian went to an extremly hot place like Australia for example they wouldn't turn black
I really dont get your point :S, are you saying you believe humans evolved from different animals? or?
Because the pigments of skin are a genetic trait due to the different climate conditions afaik

Overdriven

Because of the enviroment they lived in ;)
In the same manner if a caucasian went to an extremly hot place like Australia for example they wouldn't turn black
I really dont get your point :S, are you saying you believe humans evolved from different animals? or?

Not at all. I'm a very strong believer in evolution. I was just saying the whole theory of Adam and Eve is flawed... Wait, you can't pick Australia :) As there is NO documentation (oO) if any country they were in, you can only guess.

I mean, how do we know they wern't originally from Sweden? Still, I'm correct on some grounds. Atleast with skin pigmentation. Everyone eventually gets lighter. (Not being racist, it's true..)

(Just for arguments sake, I find the whole Adam/Eve thing totally stupid)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
You very obviously havent
Darwin simply states (paraphrased obviously, you can google the direct quote), that the physical traits of a organism are moulded in accordance to their enviroment.
In fact the traditional line of evolution, which Darwin used (neandathals) as a basis for his theory, today it is generally believed to have come to its end. Instead they theorised that this line was made extinct by Homo habalis.
Again not theorising why we are how we are, and apes are not.

The great pollyfiller that is GOD, where there is a hole just paste it over with GOD.

I didnt say that at all, i said it was just as stupid to say there was no "helping hand" in the genetic tree than there is to say that there was defnitely was.

Why? why is it stupid to say there was no helping hand? we have never seen any evidence to suggest that there was a helping hand and who's hand it might have been or who created the helping hand in the first place so why should i/we consider it as an option?

Your juding intelligence on faith / religious beliefs. Infact on your belief.

Why should I credit people who believe in gods with intelligence what is intelligent about believing in something without any evidence what so ever? You yourself don't believe in gods why is that? and why if you don't believe would you credit people for believing and living thier lives and making decisions based on those beleifs?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Not at all. I'm a very strong believer in evolution. I was just saying the whole theory of Adam and Eve is flawed... Wait, you can't pick Australia :) As there is NO documentation (oO) if any country they were in, you can only guess.

I mean, how do we know they wern't originally from Sweden? Still, I'm correct on some grounds. Atleast with skin pigmentation. Everyone eventually gets lighter. (Not being racist, it's true..)

(Just for arguments sake, I find the whole Adam/Eve thing totally stupid)

Used Austrailia as an example because the people there first (aborigonies?) are dark skinned, where as the people send there on prison barges in 1850 (156 years) ago havent followed suite.
I know evolution is slow etc etc, but in general they are no darker than say when a english person goes there (speaking generally ofc)

As for going lighter in sweden, there is always a slight difference as your skin adapts to the eviroment, but it doesnt necessarily mean the pigments have changed at all

Overdriven

Okay, stick to the 'enviromental' plan.

White man, black woman: Austrailia - They have a child, which logically would come out 'half-cast'. Correct? As the genetics behind it (Somebody feel free to prove me wrong) would make the 'stronger/lighter' colour pigment more dominant. - Keep this going over, lets say.. 1500 years.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I beg to differ, but this has already been discussed time and time again,
i just find it funny people who claim to be "open minded" are very much the oposite. I would go as far as to say they are the athiest(sp?) version of Jahovis witnesses

The thing is (We) can change our minds when new evidence presents itself, people who are tied into religious beliefs cannot, can you? What would your family and friends think if you questioned your beliefs? Are you even allowed to be open minded? Do you know what it feels like? Can you live your life without having to pretend and withhold information from the people around you? (like the religous people I know)

There is no one putting pressure on me or my beliefs at any point nor at any point in my life, I have not been led or taught in any specific direction this is what being open minded is, the freedom to think for yourself.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Why? why is it stupid to say there was no helping hand? we have never seen any evidence to suggest that there was a helping hand and who's hand it might have been or who created the helping hand in the first place so why should i/we consider it as an option?
Seriously, why do you always twist posts to meet your own argument

I simply stated the fact that it is just as stupid to deny that there wasnt a helping hand involved in human evolution than there is to say there is.
I didnt say there was or wasnt a god, i didn't suggest there was any particular deity to whom it all was thanks to, i simply stated without any facts to proove the contrary it was just as stupid to rule it out.
Behind every rumour there is some truth, and until it is discounted completely i personally not discount it.
It is simply the same argument of there being life other than our own

Why should I credit people who believe in gods with intelligence what is intelligent about believing in something without any evidence what so ever? You yourself don't believe in gods why is that? and why if you don't believe would you credit people for believing and living thier lives and making decisions based on those beleifs?
Because unless proven otherwise there is a possibility that they are right,
i do believe in god personally, and i have aired my views to why in previous posts

I think we are dragging this off topic tbh and suggest this discussion moves elsewhere. Preferably tomorow morning :p

Overdriven

Chron, you know you can't have a discussion about Amercians and NOT bring religion into it.. Hehe :D

Chronictank

FH is my second home
The thing is (We) can change our minds when new evidence presents itself, people who are tied into religious beliefs cannot, can you? What would your family and friends think if you questioned your beliefs? Are you even allowed to be open minded? Do you know what it feels like? Can you live your life without having to pretend and withhold information from the people around you? (like the religous people I know)
I cant say i do, my parents taught me their faith and then at 16 or so let me choose whether or not i practice it
There is no one putting pressure on me or my beliefs at any point nor at any point in my life, I have not been led or taught in any specific direction this is what being open minded is, the freedom to think for yourself.
Open minded is not (imo ofc) freedom to think for yourself , its your ability to take what other people say and make a logical decision based on it.
If your unwilling to hear someone else's point you are not open-minded you are the same as the people who have described above

Flintlock

Banned
Very deep shi-t! When I was a young man I was eh - round the twist really - more so than now in fact, far more come to think of it. I had me a breakdown at the age of 17 - happens. Onset of adult hood, hormones (do men have hormones or is it testosterones?) etc conspired to drive me bananas. Anyhoos, I was out of it for a good few years as in totally confused. On starting to show signs of a functioning brain again I decided that I had to read up on what the hell was making me the way I was - borderline schizo - borderline only because pressure had been taken off me by my parents. Hey this is turning into a story of my life or summit! Scary one too. Getting back to the subject. I read and read and read. I dived head first into psychology - religion etc looking for answers to all sorts of things. When I eventually managed to leave my house I even went up to London thinking that to join the - those bald guys - oh yeah - Harri Krishna's was the right think to do. On talking to these guys though it was obvious they were not very well read. They seemed brain washed to me. So I returned home and kept reading. The eventual outcome of all this? An athiest. The most valid reason I had come across for this was the study of primitive tribes. Different tribes from all over the globe had different Gods? Bit confusing but in nearly all cases they associated 'God' - a 'Greater Being' with natural phenomena. Thunder and lightening - one god; volcano - another god etc. That really drove it home to me. The all encompassing god really was just one tribe enforcing their belief over others.

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
They are like any people, anywhere in the world.

One thing is true tho, they generally lack knowledge of stuff happening outside of their own country.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I suppose evolution would state that Flinklock would start using Paragraphs in a few hundred years too. :p

Flintlock

Banned
I suppose evolution would state that Flinklock would start using Paragraphs in a few hundred years too.

I was going too if it got any longer. I was quite enjoying writing that and could easily have carried on. Was thinking a poem or 2 as well might have been well received whilst I was at it :).

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Because unless proven otherwise there is a possibility that they are right,
I do believe in god personally, and i have aired my views to why in previous posts

I think we are dragging this off topic tbh and suggest this discussion moves elsewhere. Preferably tomorow morning :p

Ah the Onus is back onto us to disprove, this is such an overused argument and as religion is the only area that is allowed to use this argument (how convenitent) it is a very unfair argument to make. (unless you start taking science on face value and stop asking for evidence to support scientific claims) which we all know, won't happen and probaly would not get asked for anyhow.

And yes off topic, my bad, the yanks are dumb and you can apparently corrolate religious belief to poor education. If anyone would have seen anything on that topic they would have understood my little dig at the yanks. :p

(however I am not suggesting all religious folks are poorly educated generalisations are bad form)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I cant say I do, my parents taught me their faith and then at 16 or so let me choose whether or not i practice it

You are a lot luckier than most people raised into a beleif system.

Open minded is not (imo ofc) freedom to think for yourself , its your ability to take what other people say and make a logical decision based on it.

When I see a new argument I will take notice I assure you, but as it stands for me right now there is no logic in believeing in Gods.

Solo

Fledgling Freddie

Because I believe people can get a heck of alot out of their religion, spiritual / mental peace of mind etc. Especially with the community it brings them into contact with and it can be a very positive and social thing. But no its not for me, who knows in the future I still feel young and it would not play a large part in my life for now. To a certain degree science requires faith in the laws that govern it.

It is a little close-minded to condem all relgion because you can't prove what they were formed on. I think that is where you need a little faith to overcome that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom