Patch now up

Effex

Fledgling Freddie
You say that but i been to ireland and I couldnt understand a word of what they said :kissit:

yeah same here, think guiness and the fact i was on a stag do might have had somthing to do with it though heh

Helfar

Fledgling Freddie
yeah same here, think guiness and the fact i was on a stag do might have had somthing to do with it though heh

Ahhh yes maybe it was the murphys and the fact i was at a wedding.... :drink:

Seffrid

Fledgling Freddie
Because it's beta it really doesn't matter how long the servers are down, and by how much the downtime overshoots the schedule. Very little in beta is scheduled without complications setting in and that's fine.

However, any company that wants to be taken seriously on its promise to listen, learn and improve its communication needs to realise the basics of community management. These are that when you tell people the servers will be up at 3pm and then realise before then that they won't be, you update your announcement. When another hour, or two, or three have passed you continue to update your announcement. Simply put, you keep your community informed, that is your job and it should be your only job.

My guess is that the community management team will say that they were busy and that they hadn't been given any revised times. Fine, they should be busy telling us that they haven't been given any revised times, not busy building extra servers, coding the password retrieval system or designing an expansion, those aren't their jobs. Their job is to manage the community, no more no less, and they don't yet give any indication that they understand that. Open Beta looks horribly like it will end the way it began.

Horseman

Fledgling Freddie
anyone else getting the error message cant find patcher-goa.prod.sig?

didnt have that one before,i could run the patcher , just not connect

Drannor

Fledgling Freddie
This is a very bad omen for GOA, starting to see a pattern here and it looks like every patch day is going to be a no access game day.

If they really think after the 18 th September customers will let them get away with that kind of service.

Just look what happen to Age of Conan, Vanguard etc. Customers move on if messed around to much, same will happen to WAR if GOA keep making such huge blunders supporting the servers.

Veck

Fledgling Freddie
Bah, I remember patching during the open beta from wow was a disaster too ...

Hope servers come up any time now though :lol:

amtired

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, an update would be appreciated about now. Can't be that hard to update a webpage. And if it is they really need to improve their system for delivering news.

For some reason im feeling pretty mellow about this though. Open beta is closing soon and headstart is coming. I'd like to get some more playtime on my rune priest just to make completely sure is my main-to-be but the character will get wiped tomorrow anyways.

Grimlorn

Fledgling Freddie
To be honest, GOA has done a pretty good job so far with informing the community. Some companies won't even inform you about stuff like this. I was also very surprised by the CEO's apology on the first day. However, some of the stupidity/miscommunication really surprised me especially with account creation. The thing is here is if they set another deadline over and over after missing the 1 hour being back up deadline, then they are just going to be pissing off the community more and more.

They just have to be more quick with their information if they're going to do stuff like that instead of it many hours after the fact. On the other hand, they will probably stop giving deadlines because meeting those seems to be difficult in games and when they miss them the community gets upset. So you'll just hear servers going down for an unspecified amount of time.

I might be more upset though, if this kind of stuff happens regularly when they restart servers or patch the game or whatever.

It does get annoying when you set time aside to play a game and you can't because it breaks down and people have a right to be upset whether they are paying for it or not, because it's people's time and plans.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
More than likely but then I would be paying for the service, half you noobs grabbed free codes from here.

Then going by this and your previous comment people who work in retail shoulden't give a shit about customers till they've actually given the shopkeeper money.

Way to run a business:wanker:

fredericus

Fledgling Freddie
Then going by this and your previous comment people who work in retail shoulden't give a shit about customers till they've actually given the shopkeeper money.

Maybe he can eksplain how i shoud fell now i paid for the CE, i dont care about ppl getting things for free, but 55,000 or so paid for the access and GOA havent given me anything special so far, and Im still not convinced that the headstart will run smoothly

Seffrid

Fledgling Freddie
The thing is here is if they set another deadline over and over after missing the 1 hour being back up deadline, then they are just going to be pissing off the community more and more.

The way to avoid that is not to give further deadlines but to keep people informed, thus:-

2:45pm Sorry folks but it looks like we're going to need longer than the scheduled hour, we'll keep you informed.

4pm Work still going on here with the patch, sorry for the continued delay. No ETA.

and so on every hour...

It isn't rocket science, it's basic community management. It's the job they've been given to do, why can't/won't they do it?

Iveseen

Fledgling Freddie
THE GAME IS CURRENTLY CLOSED .

PLZ TRY AGAIN LATE

well that just says it all doesnt it ?

thats "GOAic" for: rtfm u got nuttin else to do anyway !

kitten.jpg

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
Has anyone thought of the fact yet that their news-post feature is down for them?? Wouldn't suprise me :D

Iveseen

Fledgling Freddie

PLZ TRY AGAIN LATE

well that just says it all doesnt it ?

thats "GOAic" for: rtfm u got nuttin else to do anyway !

kitten.jpg

Mey

Part of the furniture

Its an open beta ffs :wanker:, they are testing stress levels and patch times. They misjudged how long it was going to take them to patch and get it all working again, fucking hell shit the bed!

As for the the CE one part of it was open beta access, you have open beta access. QQ some more.

pito

Loyal Freddie
i must say i think some ppl are taking this a bit far so far i have been pleased with the way things have been (since the beta registration fiasco that is) the servers have been stable and they have offered answers to many of the bugs we have reported of course i am a little disappointed that they cant stick to their etas but is not the first time and wont be the last when something in any mmorps goes wrong when patching (good old WoW days)
so lets be patient and cut them some slack

Mey

Part of the furniture
We expect this operation to take approximately one hour and we will be sure to let you know when the servers are available once more.

Also they never said it was definately going to take an hour.

fredericus

Fledgling Freddie
Its an open beta ffs :wanker:, they are testing stress levels and patch times. They misjudged how long it was going to take them to patch and get it all working again, fucking hell shit the bed!

As for the the CE one part of it was open beta access, you have open beta access. QQ some more.

Thx, now i understand, f... the ppl who have to bye your game, and just release some statements about down time and let the ppl wait for ever, thats just not a way to treat ppl. They must have one guy who could wright "servers down, we are working on the porblem" instead of just total silence.

Grimlorn

Fledgling Freddie
The way to avoid that is not to give further deadlines but to keep people informed, thus:-

2:45pm Sorry folks but it looks like we're going to need longer than the scheduled hour, we'll keep you informed.

4pm Work still going on here with the patch, sorry for the continued delay. No ETA.

and so on every hour...

It isn't rocket science, it's basic community management. It's the job they've been given to do, why can't/won't they do it?
I don't know any community manager that keeps people informed on an hourly basis or daily basis, and if they did, then their news updates on their website would look like shit and the actually good news updates would be buried by crap. It also would probably annoy the community to read servers aren't up every hour and checking back every hour.

Also, I'm guessing from how I've seen community managers handle games that they aren't allowed to do anything without approval from their boss, and they have to post exactly what they're told to, even if they know more than what they are posting about.

It would reflect badly on a company if they updated every hour with bad news or something like that. Maybe there are other reasons for not informing but I know that it has something to do with the company's stance on informing gamers.

Generation

Fledgling Freddie
Cut the *it's still beta* defense.

GOA already stated that they considered the start of open beta as their launch date as that is when they would be providing full customer service.
If this poor excuse for communication is what we have to look forward to in a couple of days then there's gonna be alot more unhappy customers.

Helfar

Fledgling Freddie
Also, I'm guessing from how I've seen community managers handle games that they aren't allowed to do anything without approval from their boss, and they have to post exactly what they're told to, even if they know more than what they are posting about..

or less if we take Magnuses post about numbers of people in the game earlier in the week :p

As for Mey's comments, we are just bored so venting our spleens as we wait. if YOU dont like it, dont read the thread :lol:

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Also they never said it was definately going to take an hour.

I think the point is, they have not said enough. Surely even you will accept that it has been more than approximately and hour, expected or otherwise, and we have heard nothing since.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved

If this was the first occasion they've done it i'd agree with you, and i'd cut them alot of slack. The fact that it's perhaps, what, the forth, fifth, sixth time they've failed to update people past the ETA is whats getting people's backs up, and thats not including the previous screw-ups of DAOC.

Open beta, closed beta, up your arse beta.. its all by the by. Their lack of communication to their potential customers = lost sales/revenue. They know this because of the numerous occasions where they've apologised and said they'll try to be better at communicating to the community. People are indeed voting with their feet and moving to the Mythic run servers already.

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
not missing the online time as much as the information from there side on whats actually going on =)

Iveseen

Fledgling Freddie

PLZ TRY AGAIN LATE

do u reckon they have some Iraqi doing there translations ?

Seffrid

Fledgling Freddie
I don't know any community manager that keeps people informed on an hourly basis or daily basis, and if they did, then their news updates on their website would look like shit and the actually good news updates would be buried by crap. It also would probably annoy the community to read servers aren't up every hour and checking back every hour.

Also, I'm guessing from how I've seen community managers handle games that they aren't allowed to do anything without approval from their boss, and they have to post exactly what they're told to, even if they know more than what they are posting about.

It would reflect badly on a company if they updated every hour with bad news or something like that. Maybe there are other reasons for not informing but I know that it has something to do with the company's stance on informing gamers.

It depends on what timescale is set initially. if they say the servers will be down for 24 hours I don't expect them to keep updating us hourly. However, if they say 1 hour then an hourly update is not unreasonable and the team should have enough people in it to allow one person to spend approx 30 seconds updating the website announcement.

You might want to check out how Mythic handle things, I think you'll find it's rather better.

osiriz88

Fledgling Freddie
Surely you people who are suprised about this delay and GOAs endless incompitence, have never played DaoC!

All we who have played euro daoc knows GOA very well. :) And we also know that their incompitence is nothing to be suprised about.

The only suprising thing is that Mythic keeps working with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom