Games Oculus Rift

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Well I'd love to order one but it's not accepting my credit card. Now I need to phone the bank and sort that out. FFS!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The first ones aren't getting sent out until April apparently. I'm going to wait.

Plus lol at € 699. I'm aware that it's not a straight conversion from USD to EUR but $599 is € 557. Plus they are somehow charging € 43 for delivery. So € 699 becomes € 742 which becomes a whisker off of $800.

Last edited:

Fweddy

FH is my second home
It said March when I first got to the order page but it changed it to April after refusing to accept my card. So now I've left their website in a huff.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Triggered bank security block, lady said this was her 5th oculus call in the last 20 mins and she had at least 10 more as of now.

Cleared that, tried again, still not going through. sigh.
Vive should announce their price/preorders asaply :/

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm glad mine was turned down now. The hype train has ground to a halt and I have collected my senses. No wonder Palmer Luckey has been so furiously flirting via twitter since the pre-order announcement. I recall them saying it would in the $350-450 ballpark, after all.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They were not charging you or locking you in if you bought with a credit card today, it was a $1 charge > reversal, and charging the full amount before shipping. You could still cancel anytime before the week it shipped to you.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Also yeah, now I've calmed down a bit, I'm probably going to wait and see what the vive price is and hopefully oculus do a unit without all the useless shit in a few months. I can wait.

SDiiSUD.gif

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I want it badly, but im going to hang fire.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I read that CPUs and GPUs in general had stalled due to silicon architecture being as developed as it was possible to be. If I bought a new gfx card it would be because I want one of those ultra-wide burqa monitors so if the Oculus is also out, I'd have to buy all three at once...

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Imagine Amnesia with an Oculus Rift. You'd never eat Milky Ways again.

I'd personally like to see Alien Isolation with VR. One of the few games that has made me scared/jump several times lately. I can only imagine it would be better in VR.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I said that to my m8 too - he hasn't played it but says you have to slow down those type of games so much that a straight cross wouldn't be fun - just nauseating. Now - if they add a sick bucket to the feature list...

Syri

FH is my second home
OK, so that's £600, needs a pretty high end PC, and it uses an xbox controller?? That seems a bit poor to me. You might as well just stare straight at your monitor, because that's just as immersive. For me at least, a VR system should be more than just a screen strapped to your face, it should be a control system that also helps to remove the regular constraints of a regular input device. I know the full 3D vision will help with immersion, but personally, for that money, I'd want something that goes a step further as well...

Syri

FH is my second home
Tell me more about your extensive VR experience?
I haven't tried any, because I don't have that kind of money. That wasn't my point though. I'd expect after paying £600 to have something that tracks my arms, or something, giving extra immersion. Not just doing the same as before, sitting there holding a controller, but this time the screen moves with your head. It's only halfway there to me.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I haven't tried any, because I don't have that kind of money. That wasn't my point though. I'd expect after paying £600 to have something that tracks my arms, or something, giving extra immersion. Not just doing the same as before, sitting there holding a controller, but this time the screen moves with your head. It's only halfway there to me.
What you're talking about would be many thousands of pounds worth of tech. This is as good as it gets on a consumer level at present. There's no doubting it's an exciting product (and the Vive), they've just overcomplicated the package and priced it too high.

Last edited:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The vive does what Syri is talking about, but it's coming shortly after and was expected to be more expensive... might be a similar price now.

strangely brown

Can't get enough of FH
Ordered one today - Expected ship date May 2016. Already have a PC with good enough specs to support it... But we'll see how it performs once it arrives.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You might just get away with the processor but the GPU will certainly need upgrading.

No point at the moment though as the next gen is just around the corner which will ofc force current gen prices down.

old.user4556

It seems the thought process for "lower" specced owners is:

1) blow cash on a 980 now and be the first to have it

2) wait until the end of the year for next gen + reduced price Oculus

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Does SLI work with Oculus?

I haven't kept current but at the time the DK2 was released they were saying it doesn't work as well as a single powerful card. Something to do with keeping everything in sync iirc.

After sleeping on it I think I'll hang fire at least until there's more information about the Vive and possibly until I can upgrade my PC more cheaply. I still have my DK2 to tide me over so I can wait without missing out completely.

old.user4556

I'd like to have a go of it before I drop the money. If anyone knows of a public demo (Game, PC World etc.) then please put into this thread.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A mate of mine goes to one of those arcade clubs, they had one in apparently. You might try there if there's one near you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom