Games Oculus Rift

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Honestly, my pocket of fucks ran out long ago when it came to VR headsets, but then I read more chat about John Carmack being involved, so then I started listening. I then read about a 4k version, then I really started to listen.

Do you think it's going to suck a mean cock, or is this something that's really going to take off?

Chilly

Balls of steel
The current version is awesome as fuck. The only problem with it is resolution. So if there's a 4k version coming, then that's going to be properly elite. Sauce: I have the first model dev kit oculus.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Depends on the developers. If it's going to have just weird indie titles, or rollercoaster sims then it's not going far. If we get some triple A putting out some quality content then it has a good chance of being a gaming peripheral as normal as a set of earphones.

Not saying indie games are crap, or that indies can't make good content for oculus, but for this to become big it does need high quality devs working on the content to advance it.

Hopefully this is the VR we've been waiting for, sure has the potential.

EDIT: Better way, and fairer, is that it needs real quality content to succeed.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Holy fuck..whos going to be making the 4K panel..usually a 7 inchrr..I didnt know such resolution was in reach...unless theyre going to strap a monitor to your head.

Chilly

Balls of steel
There are already drivers to make most games work with the oculus. A fully optimised engine will be better, ofc, but it's doable without.

old.user4556

Also, Carmack posted a really good paper about latency reduction in VR systems. http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2013/02/22/latency-mitigation-strategies/
He knows his shit, is CTO of oculus and *likes* the technology. Given his previous form on such things, I see no reason this won't be VRs actual time, this time :p

Yeah, that's why I actually believed that it would come to an awesome fruition. It seems that the lag is still the biggest obstacle, but we're within touching distance.

old.user4556

Also, re 4k, having thought "pfffft what's the point" then actually seeing a 55" 4k set up close - wow, the clarity and detail blew me away.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What are they like for motion sickness and whatnot?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think they should be OK for people that are short sighted as the picture is so close to the eyes. Long sighted, no idea.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There are already drivers to make most games work with the oculus. A fully optimised engine will be better, ofc, but it's doable without.

Fair point and if they focus on compability with all instead of needing it's own engine, then all the better. Certainly doable, no doubt.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
From what i have read, the focusing is set to infinity, in short, wont matter if you normally wear glasses and wont strain eyes as the eyes naturally rest in that state.

Pretty sure they have a faq that explains the eye/health concens.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I must say I am tempted, birthday coming up...I demand a treat.

Job

Gtav 4k oculus..bye bye real world.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Holy fuck..whos going to be making the 4K panel..usually a 7 inchrr..I didnt know such resolution was in reach...unless theyre going to strap a monitor to your head.

Two panels, each around 2,000 pixels across.

Job

Oky foky...I read somewhere the eye is about 6k x 6k resolution...but for real immersion uou need full peripheral vision..which even the Oculus isnt close to yet.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Actually it's very close, only a few degrees away from full coverage. And considering the brain spends very little time processing what's happening in your peripheral vision (most of what you "see" is processed sharply in a very small area) that's not an issue.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Honestly i think OR will be to PC gaming what the drum set was for Rock Band, cool for a little while but it wont take off and become a household item. I have nothing to back this up with but i just cant see it in every house. It looks pretty cool though.
Backed up by Mr. Carmack is awesome and will surly help push the technology.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What are the production versions of these things going to weigh? I know the current one is only a prototype, but it looks like it would cause serious neck-ache with extended use, and I can't see a 4K one getting significantly lighter...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's not that heavy, 400g or so if i remember correctly. You'll get worse neck injuries from a poorly set up monitor ;)

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
I tried the dev version last weekend in one of the electronic stores around here. I did not expect that much, but it really blew me away. It was the rollercoaster demo, but the immersion was excellent and looking backwards and so on was feeling very natural. Also I was really surprised how much it fooled the other sense's than sight.

I did get a lot of motion sickness when the rollercoaster went faster, all the way to a bit of cold sweat... don't know if that's the lag which plays with your brain or what, hope they get that fixed..or it's something that one get used to ...or maybe I am just not a fan of rollercoasters.

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
By the way imagine what that could do to working in office as well, 360 degrees desktop..

rynnor

Rockhound
I wonder if playing photorealistic action games through a setup that fools your brain that its really there will make you psychotic?

Chilly

Balls of steel
One of the spookiest things I notice with my rift is the tuscany demo. There's a room upstairs with a fireplace with a lit fire. If you walk up to it so you're within touching distance and then reach out with your real hand such that you'd be putting it in the flames, there is a VERY strong sensation of "WTF ARE YOU DOING" from your brain. It doesnt hurt or anything but it's an intense sensation. That is the level of immersion we're talking about. Enough to fool your base instincts into thinking it's real. And that's with fuck all resolution and no actual hands in the sim.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
One of the spookiest things I notice with my rift is the tuscany demo. There's a room upstairs with a fireplace with a lit fire. If you walk up to it so you're within touching distance and then reach out with your real hand such that you'd be putting it in the flames, there is a VERY strong sensation of "WTF ARE YOU DOING" from your brain. It doesnt hurt or anything but it's an intense sensation. That is the level of immersion we're talking about. Enough to fool your base instincts into thinking it's real. And that's with fuck all resolution and no actual hands in the sim.

Maybe you've just got a really suggestible personality? I have these funds in the Bank of Nigeria I need a trustworthy person to hold them for me, in exchange for a small fee, sound good?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Maybe you've just got a really suggestible personality? I have these funds in the Bank of Nigeria I need a trustworthy person to hold them for me, in exchange for a small fee, sound good?
Everyone I've shown it to and done the same thing reacts in the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom