Games Oculus Rift

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
And the exact quote from Palmer Luckey (Oculus boss) isssss:
If customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware - if it was, why in the world would we be supporting GearVR and talking with other headset makers? The software we create through Oculus Studios (using a mix of internal and external developers) are exclusive to the Oculus platform, not the Rift itself.

They lurch from one PR disaster to the next, a lot of people are jumping ship.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
a lot of people are jumping ship.
This "exlusive" thing has made me really consider whether I'm bothered at all.

I've got lots of things to spend my money on, and if they're going to turn VR into the equivalent of a PS4 v XBone "we've got the best games" pissing contest, when they can clearly run the games on any VR hardware, then they can fuck right off.

May as well shoot it now if they're going to do that. I don't want to be part of a fanboi revolution. If VR isn't pure pleasure, rather than "ohhh, I wish I could play that, but I have to make a choice" then my hard-earned is getting spent on experiences I can actually touch and feel...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yeah I think Oculus can get fucked now. When I buy something, it's up to me what I do with it, not them.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What do people actually expect though? Its owned by Facebook now...

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Got mine on Friday, spent the weekend with it.
Pretty amazing technology.
Elite Dangerous, DCS, Project CARS, all just jaw dropping.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
This "exlusive" thing has made me really consider whether I'm bothered at all.

I've got lots of things to spend my money on, and if they're going to turn VR into the equivalent of a PS4 v XBone "we've got the best games" pissing contest, when they can clearly run the games on any VR hardware, then they can fuck right off.

May as well shoot it now if they're going to do that. I don't want to be part of a fanboi revolution. If VR isn't pure pleasure, rather than "ohhh, I wish I could play that, but I have to make a choice" then my hard-earned is getting spent on experiences I can actually touch and feel...

This all over.

I have high hopes for VR, it'd be a shame if all this bollocks kills it before it even gets mainstream traction.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Waaaaay to early to buy one it seems. So many shenanigans going on in the industry with all this bullshit. Feels like idiotic console wars.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
VR's here to stay. AAA studios are getting on board now. Official VR conversions for Doom and Fallout 4 announced at E3.
I had a Oculus Rift DK1 and DK2. I had a pre-order in for the CV1 too but cancelled it when a mate near me wanted to sell his HTC Vive to me (he's just had his second kid and had no time for it).
It's true there's a lot of content out there but not much of it is very engaging. Once you get over the novelty of it being in VR some of the "games" are little more than tech demos.
Elite Dangerous is damn good in VR and shows what's possible with a full game from a big studio.
It's going to take some time to blossom but it's not going away any time soon.
The biggest barrier to entry right now is the cost (£750 for the Vive + £700 to £1000 for a VR spec PC) but with AMD's RX480 announcement and price that barrier is beginning to rapidly lower.

Syri

FH is my second home
When it costs that much for a headset, are people really going to want to buy two headsets, just to play all the games? Is that really the market they want to create? Or are they just going to look for ways to trick the exclusives into running on the other headset, thus forcing the devs to spend more and more on protection against that, and never bringing the cost down as a result?
Seriously, just let everything work on both headsets. People will make it work anyway, I mean, look at piracy... pile on the DRM, still gets broken. Save some time and money, and just open it up, let the costs come down, and just enjoy what market share you get. If you don't succeed, it should be because you didn't make a good enough headset, not because you didn't buy the attention of enough developers.

old.user4556

Rift or Vive?

£200 cheaper for Rift. I'm tempted.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Vive.
VR without roomscale is like toast without butter.
Roast beef without yorkshire puddings.

There's a pro/con to the rift/vive on FOV/screendoor effect. Simply put the oculus has a lower Field of view - that means you see a lot less that reduces immersion. The benefit is that you can see less screendoor effect ( ie harder to see individual pixels in a scene ). However this also makes bright contrast lights produces big fuck off distracting rays - particularly pronounced in high contrast scenes.
Basically do you want less SDE overall? Great! But it cuts the FOV and produces other visual artifacts.
Do you want fewer artifacts and higher FOV and the SDE doesn't annoy you? Vive wins.

More generally:

Pros of rift: Cheaper if you only want it for flightsim/sim racing, the integrated audio solution is actually convenient - I didn't think it would be at first. More people seem to find it more comfortable than the vive.

Cons of rift: No roomscale, no touch controllers for god knows how many more months and they'll be months late even after you order - because everyone who bought a rift before you is in the queue for touch before you as well. Oculus store....
Might take a few weeks to arrive.
REQUIRES 3 USB3 PORTS! + a usb 2 port.

Pros of Vive: ITS ACTUALLY ROOMSCALE VR WITH TOUCH CONTROLLERS? You don't have to install exclusive games through the oculus store.. its steam baby!
Screen is brighter than the oculus by 3x.
If you order it today you'll get it this week.

Con: Screen brightness makes it a little hotter on the face than the oculus.

The price difference is simple - you get 2 lighthouse units ( think cameras ), and 2 touch controllers for the roomscale tracking. If you want that from oculus ( when they finally finish working on their solution ) it's gonna be an extra £200, their solution will be worse ( and requires more USB 3 ports ).

Fweddy

FH is my second home
They haven't come out and said "we won't use any methods to stop users playing our games on alternative platforms" though. Standard corporate doublespeak. I expect they'll ramp up the software side of DRM instead.
True, and that's why I'm not buying anything from Oculus Home. I won't be giving them any money until I can be sure I can play what I buy on whatever headset I buy. While VR is so new it would be crazy to lock yourself to a single manufacturer this early.

@Big G I'd also recommend the Vive over the Rift. What ECA says seems pretty accurate. Unless you're only playing cockpit games then the headset is only part of it, for the full VR experience you're going to want tracked controllers and room-scale, the Vive gives you all that now. Most people who've tried them both seem to think the Rift is a slightly better headset but you'll have to wait and buy the controllers later and the room-scale tracking won't be as good.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It's not good enough yet, the oculus is barely better than a Note 7 in its VR viewer, ok its PC graphics, but FOV is everything, not dipping in till we have 250 degree.

Job

I just want to be sure It covers the very limits of our vision and some shady 6th sense bits that we.might not be aware of, and of course looking left and right.

Last edited:

Exioce

Part of the furniture
I've been playing Elite: Dangerous on my Rift since I got it in May. Amazing.
Touch controllers in October? I assume I'll get them eventually but am in no rush. Too busy geeking out in Elite!

Fweddy

FH is my second home
The FOV is all ready wide enough to not be particularly noticeable. At the moment I'd much rather have higher resolution.

Last night I was playing Raw Data. I was crouching behind a desk for cover while I traded fire with a couple of robots when I heard a noise behind me. I spun round and looked up to find another robot towering over me, fist drawing back ready to punch me. I dodged to the side, unloaded a full clip into it in a panic, ducked back behind my desk and took a moment to breathe while I pulled another clip from my belt and reloaded ready to finish off the first two robots.

And all that crouching and dodging isn't pressing buttons. It's physically doing the actions, completely naturally. I've had the Vive less than two weeks and it's all ready responsible for some of my favourite game experiences ever. It's still far from perfect but in the best games there's little enough to remind you it's not real that you just stop thinking about it and start feeling like you're actually there.

old.user4556

Vive.
VR without roomscale is like toast without butter.
Roast beef without yorkshire puddings.

There's a pro/con to the rift/vive on FOV/screendoor effect. Simply put the oculus has a lower Field of view - that means you see a lot less that reduces immersion. The benefit is that you can see less screendoor effect ( ie harder to see individual pixels in a scene ). However this also makes bright contrast lights produces big fuck off distracting rays - particularly pronounced in high contrast scenes.
Basically do you want less SDE overall? Great! But it cuts the FOV and produces other visual artifacts.
Do you want fewer artifacts and higher FOV and the SDE doesn't annoy you? Vive wins.

More generally:

Pros of rift: Cheaper if you only want it for flightsim/sim racing, the integrated audio solution is actually convenient - I didn't think it would be at first. More people seem to find it more comfortable than the vive.

Cons of rift: No roomscale, no touch controllers for god knows how many more months and they'll be months late even after you order - because everyone who bought a rift before you is in the queue for touch before you as well. Oculus store....
Might take a few weeks to arrive.
REQUIRES 3 USB3 PORTS! + a usb 2 port.

Pros of Vive: ITS ACTUALLY ROOMSCALE VR WITH TOUCH CONTROLLERS? You don't have to install exclusive games through the oculus store.. its steam baby!
Screen is brighter than the oculus by 3x.
If you order it today you'll get it this week.

Con: Screen brightness makes it a little hotter on the face than the oculus.

The price difference is simple - you get 2 lighthouse units ( think cameras ), and 2 touch controllers for the roomscale tracking. If you want that from oculus ( when they finally finish working on their solution ) it's gonna be an extra £200, their solution will be worse ( and requires more USB 3 ports ).

Sums up pretty much what I was thinking - I just find the Vive a little bit on the costly side when I'm not convinced the roomscale is absolutely essential as part of a generation 1 experience, perhaps something once it improves / refines on a next release.

Hmmm.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Sums up pretty much what I was thinking - I just find the Vive a little bit on the costly side when I'm not convinced the roomscale is absolutely essential as part of a generation 1 experience, perhaps something once it improves / refines on a next release.

Hmmm.

I honestly feel like if your not a huge enthusiast, then skip gen 1.

If you were you'd already know what you want it for and have one already, and gen 2 will be much better ( assuming screen res goes up a good amount ).

Job

I'd put fov, pixel refresh and fps before res atm, immersion is everything and when in the middle of madness, you're not going to notice the res as much.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'd put fov, pixel refresh and fps before res atm, immersion is everything and when in the middle of madness, you're not going to notice the res as much.

I can't even.

old.user4556

I honestly feel like if your not a huge enthusiast, then skip gen 1.

If you were you'd already know what you want it for and have one already, and gen 2 will be much better ( assuming screen res goes up a good amount ).

£750 is ballpark what i'd spend on a 4k monitor, so I think you're bang on that I should skip gen 1.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
£750 is ballpark what i'd spend on a 4k monitor, so I think you're bang on that I should skip gen 1.

It is very much at early adopter stage at the moment. Still a lot of fun though! Is there anyone you know who has one you can try?

Job

It's hardly better than my phone in a VR viewer.
Not bothering until the tech gets serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom