Note to Mythic : Your endgame is utterly broken

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Hi, just tested both stick indipendently, in diffrerent slots, all slots working, and both sticks working.

Checked Bios on startup, and Bios sees all 4gb,

Just checked system. and it now sees 3.0gb

that normal?

yep, a 32-BIT OS can only adress about 3gb of RAM.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
yep, a 32-BIT OS can only adress about 3gb of RAM.

Thanks.

Done a bit of research, and typically with 4gb installed, XP only sees between 3 - 3.5 gb. Depending on what other devices you have installed. (the last 1gb is alocated to them or something)

My question is, does anyone know how i can tweak this or see how i is bieing used, since my GPU is 512 i would like to squeeze as much of that last 1gb as i can... ie - 3.5 instead of 3

I noticed a small increase in keep rvr, but its still choppy, so every bit of memory i can claw back for the game will help i think.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
I think its more that DAoC was new and shiney, it was part of an emerging market. War copies a lot from other games yet doesn't integrate the best concept of DAoC (RvR) at all well, which is so so strange.

I played DAoC for 8 years or so my friend. New and shiny isnt really a proper label I'd put on it :) Where DAoC started to fail was with TOA and then next with NF, despite those 2 massive failures DAoC did still keep the flag up as the absolutely best MMO pvpwise out there. I had hopes that WAR would be as great but I find it to be dumbified in order to fit more people or something, take a simple concept as the GCD.. it sucks, it just plain sucks, at least when compared to DAoCs highresponsive mechanics. That along with some other factors is the reason why I stopped my subs for WAR for now.

DAoC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WAR by a mile for me at least, in PVP, I care little for PVE.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
lol did you ever play WoW? The grinding in WoW was just too much for casual players. You had to spend ages grinding gold for your first mount, never had that problem in War, you then had to spend even longer grinding for you epic mount, then your flying mount, and your epic flying mount. And as the formula for WoW is gear + addons + latest op class = win, you had to grind for that gear and it took weeks to do if you had any form of life. And then to top it all off that gear became obsolete very quickly so it started all over again.

Ever since the last patch War has been a lot of fun to play. Orvr every night in every tier, and minimal scenarios. But I have yet to experience end game because I'm having far too much fun leveling alts.

I still do play WoW, I don't grind at all. never have and never will, there are so many ways to make money in WoW due it having a real living economy only the newbs need to go and grind.

Yes you have to "grind" pvp exp (honour/arena points) to buy gear but how is that different from grinding renown?

Oh and feel free to point out an MMO that doesn't make its equipment obsolete every expansion, actually the latest WoW expansion is one of the best for this, level 70 epic equipment is good enough for entry level 80 content, its natural progression.

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
I played DAoC for 8 years or so my friend. New and shiny isnt really a proper label I'd put on it :) Where DAoC started to fail was with TOA and then next with NF, despite those 2 massive failures DAoC did still keep the flag up as the absolutely best MMO pvpwise out there. I had hopes that WAR would be as great but I find it to be dumbified in order to fit more people or something, take a simple concept as the GCD.. it sucks, it just plain sucks, at least when compared to DAoCs highresponsive mechanics. That along with some other factors is the reason why I stopped my subs for WAR for now.

DAoC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WAR by a mile for me at least, in PVP, I care little for PVE.

:iagree:

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Just have to bump this following the last few nights on Hirn.

It's impossible to unlock a city unless you do it in the middle of the night and early morning and only then if you can avoid getting several hundred players involved. Every time destro attacked the keep everyone just sits inside and waits for the zone to crash, and crash it does, like clockwork every single time destro get the last door down and get to the lord.

The game is supposed to support mass rvr (this is the end-game), which the servers cannot handle. Seems a pretty huge problem and one that has not yet been addressed.

Pandemic

Fledgling Freddie
strange on KEP its now fixed; last 2 fortress attempts there was no crash

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
strange on KEP its now fixed; last 2 fortress attempts there was no crash

Did they get to the Lord room?

Hirn seems to go when all the players are in the final room and even then there is sometimes a bit of a fight before it goes.

Also it seems to take several hundred players, which is usual fort raid numbers on Hirn.

Pandemic

Fledgling Freddie
yeah they got to the lord room and was 200? maybe 250 players involved in total played through the whole hour both times with mutiple lord room / the stairs below fights without crashing

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah two fortress attempts on K8P, no crashes, BUT these attempts wasn't really primetime. One was at 01.30CET, and the other 14.30CET. But wasn't really possible to take the fortress when Destruction are dieing before we rush the lord and we couldn't ress because the lord engaged through the floor, popping down hitting random people for 3k+.

But it's not only the fortresses that's "utterly broken", the "regular" open rvr zones needs to be fixed so the Renown Train ain't the best way to farm RP's.

* Decrease RP's from keeps/objectives if it's undefended, an undefended keep should hardly give any RP at all. Increase the RP when it's defended if you successfully take it, a pool of RP's should be given to the attackers if it's successfully taken, just as defenders gets.

* Make BO's mean something else than VP, increase guards at keeps, increase HP on keep doors.

* Claimed keeps should have upgraded guards, a better alert system, at least the guild should get a notice when it's attacked, maybe even the alliance in perhaps a separate channel "Alliance alerts" or something where you can't chat. And the flames when a keep is under attack needs to be fixed asap, it's bugged atm and usually stays on flames even after the attackers left.

* Put up relics in fortresses! So even if you don't manage to get all the way to the main city you at least stole their relic in the fortress. And you have to run with it from the enemy fortress to your fortress in the same pairing. If the defenders successfully takes the relic back it ends up in their capital city until the fortress resets.

* We need alternates ways to get inside a keep that's heavily defended, or at least for a few classes. Orcapults, are they coming? Ladders/Siegetowers, maybe let a class or two be able to climb walls, at least outerwalls.

* Do not implement any "gold bags" for successfully defending a keep, it should only reward RP/Inf.

I noticed a lot comes directly from DAoC, but what the hell :)

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
* Make BO's mean something else than VP, increase guards at keeps, increase HP on keep doors.

As far as I'm aware, controlling a BO does increase the patrolling guard cap at keeps you hold. However, unless you're a lone healer trying to sneak back in after being killed, you barely notice the guards at all when you're taking a keep.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
the amount of guards that spawn in an attack should depend on the number of defenders

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
the amount of guards that spawn in an attack should depend on the number of defenders

This is good. I would go further and suggest that the health and twatting power of the keep lord should also be accordance with the amount of defenders. As it stands it's largely impossible to take a keep unless you outnumber the defenders massively, and all this is doing is making a great game a simple zerg fest.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Order on Burlock took a fortress in prime time last night, but only because Destruction failed to defend it. When moving onto another fortress Destruction rallied to defend and the server crashed.

I'd already decided that I was out of the game (dull PvE, even worse PvP) but this sort of stuff only ratifies my decision. Game still needs a lot of work, and not just in the polish department ... the whole endgame concept is broken.

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
This is good. I would go further and suggest that the health and twatting power of the keep lord should also be accordance with the amount of defenders. As it stands it's largely impossible to take a keep unless you outnumber the defenders massively, and all this is doing is making a great game a simple zerg fest.

Unless I've grabbed the wrong end of the stick, you're proposing that the guards and lord should get harder when there's more defenders, encouraging more people to defend, then you go on to complain that (paraphrased) the only way to take a defended keep is with a zerg which vastly outnumbers the defenders.

Think I must have missed something. So; the number of defenders goes up, the boss and guards get harder, encouraging attackers to bring even more people to offset this.

How does your proposed solution resolve your complaint?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Order on Burlock took a fortress in prime time last night, but only because Destruction failed to defend it. When moving onto another fortress Destruction rallied to defend and the server crashed.

I'd already decided that I was out of the game (dull PvE, even worse PvP) but this sort of stuff only ratifies my decision. Game still needs a lot of work, and not just in the polish department ... the whole endgame concept is broken.

i agree, i could probably live with the crashes, not sure i can live with GoA and teh crashes...

:m00:

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Unless I've grabbed the wrong end of the stick, you're proposing that the guards and lord should get harder when there's more defenders, encouraging more people to defend, then you go on to complain that (paraphrased) the only way to take a defended keep is with a zerg which vastly outnumbers the defenders.

Think I must have missed something. So; the number of defenders goes up, the boss and guards get harder, encouraging attackers to bring even more people to offset this.

How does your proposed solution resolve your complaint?

No he is proposing the level of the Lord drops when there are more defenders. It makes total sense, no Realm is going to legally take a fortress on a server that has equal numbers on either side like Karak Hirn. Fortresses may well be taken in the early hours of a week night or in the morning when no one is around but I suspect the vp system stops that from happening due to them diminishing.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
... but I suspect the vp system stops that from happening due to them diminishing.

If they were working right they might. Take the other night in DW. Order and Dest were skirmishing outside COF. Order wasnt SC or PQ farming as far as I know. Somehow order vp's climbed and continued to climb from 60ish upto 87 and we didnt even take the keep. Infact we only took about 10% off the outer doors.

Calaen

Yeah I think the elf pairing i broke, However I like the fact that the zone is constantly flipping, nothing worse than getting 5 WB's together to actually try and get a zone only to have a group of 6 enemies stop 2 hours of work.

They just need to simplify it, thehe way it works now looks like they don't want people to be able to take zones easily if no one is defending it.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah I think the elf pairing i broke, However I like the fact that the zone is constantly flipping, nothing worse than getting 5 WB's together to actually try and get a zone only to have a group of 6 enemies stop 2 hours of work.

They just need to simplify it, thehe way it works now looks like they don't want people to be able to take zones easily if no one is defending it.

On the other side of things - its quite good that a small number of defenders can make life very difficult - seeing as not a lot of people like to provide opposition. I cannot think of what would be worse for the game than making the PvE train's job easier at lower levels.

Calaen

On the other side of things - its quite good that a small number of defenders can make life very difficult - seeing as not a lot of people like to provide opposition. I cannot think of what would be worse for the game than making the PvE train's job easier at lower levels.

Oh god I agree with you, what I don't agree with is the fact that a Bo which has a static amount of vp's can totally destroy an hour or two's farming on pq's.

I have ran ninja raids with 6 men on order on numerous occasions to stop them from locking a zone and not only have we been very successful with it but we have also had a lot of fun.

I think the biggest issue isn't the problems with the game its the problem with the players. They are so hung up on sitting around for 3 minutes to get 500 rps that when an enemy is outside a WC with a force they clearly can't beat the free rp farmers just keep running out and getting killed because they cant think for themselves.

A proper player will get a group head off down through the pve zone and jump in further down.

A discussion came up breifly in Eataine in region chat.

*player 1* Order camping our WC!!!!!

*Player two* ahhahaah dont they know we can just enter the zone at any point fools!!!!!

*Me* If that is the case why are there 20 destruction at WC being farmed?

The majority of players are unfortunately sheep, they will follow a leader of a WB out of a zone with enemies into a pve environment because its the simple option for them, I don't know why people do it. Sitting on a Bo for 3 minutes unless there is defenders really bores the hell out of me. I usually run ahead to the next BO and start killing the mobs. I have better things to be doing than reflecting on why I spent two hours of my night sat doing nothing.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Sitting on a Bo for 3 minutes unless there is defenders really bores the hell out of me.

Shush. I try to check BO's after you lot have moved out. 4 afk dest is my record so far :)

Calaen

Not me I don't wait, I generally don't take them either if there is no one in the zone unless they are on the way. :p

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
The reason most people wait the three minutes is not the 500 points but to make sure the 15 minute lock applies before someone tries to take it back.

It may work better if the lock either never applied or applied immediately so that there was no reason to stand around. It does seem pointless really.

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
I think the biggest issue isn't the problems with the game its the problem with the players

Never thought I would agree with a sentiment like this on any level, but I find I do. At the moment, the least enjoyable times I have in game are usually down to being in a PuG where 90% of the members do nothing but randomly fight enemies. I nearly said randomly kill enemies, but I'm depressed to admit that months into the game you still have huge numbers of people who will happily beat on tanks for an entire scenario when there are 2-3 healers standing in visual range preventing the from dying.

Having said all that, the fault is still - ultimately - with the game. A game is made for the players we have, not the players we want. That means it needs to find ways to encourage entertaining play (which in my book means encouraging more sophisticated decision making in RvR).

As long as WAR gives renown for random fights, people will keep on doing it. As soon as you make renown dependent on achieving objectives, people will be forced to ask "How do I achieve that objective?" Couple this with some scaling based on enemy participants (e.g. more renown if something defended by a warband than if it is undefended) and we might actually see some decent fights.

An example of the sort of thing I mean is give large amounts of renown to people who are within a certain distance of a flag when it caps, and give no renown to people who kill enemies outside a certain distance of the flags.

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved
An example of the sort of thing I mean is give large amounts of renown to people who are within a certain distance of a flag when it caps, and give no renown to people who kill enemies outside a certain distance of the flags.

For your example the issue could be that stopping incoming defenders is a legitimate and possibly useful tactic, you cannot have the range set too high but equally achieving the overall objective may involve fighting over a wider area (sorry just being perdantic).

However I know and agree with the point you are making. If you are going to have objectives make the rewards worthwhile and relate them to the objective.

I would not have this damn 3 minute timer or even a lock out period - if the enemy can organise themselves to counter-attack then so be it.

I wonder if we need less oRvR zones, it seems to me you can have opposing warbands avoiding each other and simply taking and re-taking undefended keeps by travelling from empire to elf to dwarf etc.

Are keeps too easy to defend and thus too hard to take ? would making the taking of keeps easier (not quicker) encourage more PvP based action ?

Nate

FH is my second home
Bit of a shock, did GOA do something first for a change? :eek: They put up some news on war-europe today, pretty much telling us that the tier 4 campaign is broken but theres been some recent fixes and they're testing/monitoring the Fortresses. Haven't seen this on Mythics site yet. Link

GOA NEWS! said:
The State of the Campaign

One of the most important topics being discussed amongst the community is the stability of the tier four campaign. The entire game is designed to bring you, the player, to this final battleground where huge armies fight over the keeps and fortresses, all the way up to the very walls of the capital cities themselves. As many of you will know, Mythic released a series of patches just before Christmas that were specifically aimed at addressing performance and stability issues with the campaign. These patches were applied as soon as we received them and certainly made a big difference as we saw several successful sieges over the holidays, however we acknowledge that the situation is still far from ideal.

Our server technicians are constantly monitoring the situation on all of our servers and our QA department runs batteries of tests to help Mythic in their quest to make the game better for you. There are still several issues outstanding which we are dealing with at present. These issues are all, for the most part linked. We see stability issues where large numbers of players will be kicked from zones, crashes causing a reset of the campaign as well as synchronisation problems where keep lords and doors are not shown correctly. All of these are the very highest priority for our teams and we will be making sure that as soon as Mythic produce fixes we can bring them to you without delay.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience and we are truly sorry for the situation that many of you have experienced.

Still, seems we just have to live with it as we're not getting any compensation. Not that I'm after that or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom