New Mobile

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Once again the wonderful folks at Villainroms have prevented me from getting a new phone. I was getting thoroughly sick of my hero but the latest one has once again given it a new lease of life. Much quicker and far more responsive. I think I'll be happy to wait for those dual core tegra phones now :D.

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
Win7 mobile is okay, but its weak for a smartphone os. It's not slick enough and has no depth IMO. Also ap support is miles behind iphone and android.

I've not regretted going Iphone one bit.

I know three people that got a htc hd7, all have sold it. try before you buy is my advice.

my stubborness to buy anything with an apple logo is slightly putting me off, oh and the bloody prices lol

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i was like that was well then bit the buket and got my self the 3g when it was out. now on ipoo4 tho i do admit eagerly keeping on droid sets i am happy with it

Aada

Part of the furniture
Win7 mobile is okay, but its weak for a smartphone os. It's not slick enough and has no depth IMO. Also ap support is miles behind iphone and android.

I've not regretted going Iphone one bit.

I know three people that got a htc hd7, all have sold it. try before you buy is my advice.

Disagree totally.

Not slick? it's one of the most quick interfaces i've seen on a phone not once has it ever stuttered on me opening something up.

The tile idea is amazing everything you want on a click of a tile facebook/twitter etc all updates on one tile where i've put at the top of the screen the tile then splits into little pictures of your contacts and updates you when they have updated their twitter/facebook, all you have to do is click the tile and your away.

Xbox Live on your phone? enough said absolutely brilliant and the games while overpriced are actually pretty darn good not to mention the fact you earn achievements arcade style.

The HD7 is the worst of the WP7 phones in my opinion absolutely hated the huge thing in the 02 shop where i went to have a play about. So instead i had a go in the Samsung Omnia 7 and the HTC Trophy i went for the Trophy in the end.

So far i've had the phone since release and it's a joy to use.

ofc just my opinion :)

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
XBL is awesome.

Anyway your an Apple boy now.

What was your reasoning for choosing the trophy 7? everything ive read suggest that the omnia 7/hd 7 are the best winmo7 phones around, so intrested to hear your view on them.

Still cant make up my mind, iphone just works, its mature, generally every company makes app's for them first etc, but their costly, their apple and i still see it as a fashion excessory lol.

Windows mobile 7 looks sleek, differant, the phones seem good spec/quality (like iphone), but the OS is still new, still a big risk wether many companys will take it up to develope apps for it etc.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The HD7 is a huge phone it was just too big for me.

The Omnia 7 I liked but I found it very slippy in my hands.

The Trophy I liked because it looks like the Desire and has that nice Matt finish on the back so its nice to grip.

In all honesty though there is very little difference between any of the WP7 phones I have a friend with the LG Optimus and that too is a good phone.

I'm not saying the WP7 is perfect the web browser needs abit of work and the new firmware update is due in Jan/feb.

Mauness

Can't get enough of FH
The HD7 is a huge phone it was just too big for me.

The Omnia 7 I liked but I found it very slippy in my hands.

The Trophy I liked because it looks like the Desire and has that nice Matt finish on the back so its nice to grip.

In all honesty though there is very little difference between any of the WP7 phones I have a friend with the LG Optimus and that too is a good phone.

I'm not saying the WP7 is perfect the web browser needs abit of work and the new firmware update is due in Jan/feb.

i had a look at the hd7 yesterday, it did look very big, but still looked nice lol. the os was silly smooth, i was just shocked lol. My only concern with the samsung option, is the lack of space, 8gb is a little small, incase of future proofing etc.

Whats zune like? i assume its like spotify?

What are apps like now? is there a task manager type of app on there?

Aada

Part of the furniture
i had a look at the hd7 yesterday, it did look very big, but still looked nice lol. the os was silly smooth, i was just shocked lol. My only concern with the samsung option, is the lack of space, 8gb is a little small, incase of future proofing etc.

Whats zune like? i assume its like spotify?

What are apps like now? is there a task manager type of app on there?

Zune is great to use very easy compared to iTunes in my opinion in terms of putting songs onto your phone just drag and drop onto your phone i pay the £5 a month thingy and download albums whenever i want a new one.

Yeah the OS is pure smooth just a very nice OS to use.

Apps seem to be coming thick and fast i don't bother with task managers myself so wouldn't know. The only app i have paid for so far is a lovefilm app made by someone really cool app the tile updates when they have sent something out to you.

Also have a footy scores app again nice app and the tile updates as teams score.

Xbox Live is what i like about it though just very cool to be able to log into your account on the move see what friends are doing and playing official WP7 games and earning achievements is a great idea.

Speaking of games they are being added thick and fast by MS already some really nice games on there Assassins Creed, Fruit Ninja, The Harvest, Zombies (if you ever played the board game).

The games are pricey though and that's the main complaint so far Assassins Creed is £5 most of the games are about £2.49 though.

Ofc there are games made by people on there ranging from free to the iphone style pricing of 50p-£1.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Potential upgrade for me from the Hero is going to be the LG Optimus 2x. Dual core 1ghz processor, tegra 2 for super duper 3d performance, full 1080p recording and playback and a mini HDMI port to output whatever is on the screen. Veeerry nifty indeed.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
So I'm planning on taking out a contract for a HTC Desire HD on Orange, anything I need to look out for? Should also point out I'm open to suggestion of other phones, preferably not an iPhone though :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Thing I have against the HD's over the regular Desire is that they're so BIG mate. I'd frankly be scared to have one in my pocket :(

nath

Fledgling Freddie
My thoughts exactly, check out the phone mentioned in my post above. Very nice looking device with really quite potent specs and it's out very soon.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My thoughts exactly, check out the phone mentioned in my post above. Very nice looking device with really quite potent specs and it's out very soon.

First generation of the Tegra 2 phones will all eat batteries. It always happens. No point in being a super early adopter for this shit. Tegra 2 phones with the bugs ironed out probably won't land until the back end of the year.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm used to charging a phone every night and it's hard to imagine it being significantly worse than that, but I'm definitely not spending that kind of money without doing the proper research so we'll see how it is when it comes out.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Potential upgrade for me from the Hero is going to be the LG Optimus 2x. Dual core 1ghz processor, tegra 2 for super duper 3d performance, full 1080p recording and playback and a mini HDMI port to output whatever is on the screen. Veeerry nifty indeed.

That looks like it is quite a big phone as well...very nice spec but it looks like it's the same size as the Desire HD.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My understanding is that dual-core phones will use less power than their single-core equivalents.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
SE NEWS TIME!

The first bit is that the Xperia Arc is still giving me monstrous wood. Seems to do all the Optimus 2x does without the dual core processor, and we've covered the risks with that. Plus, I'm guessing, being nVIDIA tech it's going to eat power and superheat your pocket when it does something complicated, like sync your email, so it really isn't blowing my skirt up. I'd rather wait til Qualcomm's multicore offering comes out personally. Plus, it looks so fucking sexy, and will mean Apple can stop bleating on about their "thinnest smartphone evar!". Bravia engine for media looks good as well.

What's more SE have separated the UI from Android itself, so we should get updates much faster in future. Hopefully it means my trusty X10 will get boosted up to 2.3 as well (SE have said the next upgrade for that is Q2).

Oh and has anyone looked into this PlayStation Suite much? Looks a corking idea, PS games on any compatible Android hardware,

And some satire to finish, courtesy of The Daily Mash.

The Daily Mash - iPhone fired into space to see if it finally gets a signal

Peace out folks!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Come on Bods, you gotta lose your Sony blinders - they make shite phones dude :\.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I'm due an upgrade next month, but i dont want a iPhone or a HTC or any type of touch screen gizmo, i just want a phone to make calls on and to be able to take photos. I currently have a SE C702, which has been fine but its battered and the cameras stopped working. A touch screen will get fucked in my pocket cos it usually has tools and screws and other shit in there with it

I know all you lot have moved on from phones with buttons, but is there a decent one you know off thats any good and most of all durable

Cheers

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm due an upgrade next month, but i dont want a iPhone or a HTC or any type of touch screen gizmo, i just want a phone to make calls on and to be able to take photos. I currently have a SE C702, which has been fine but its battered and the cameras stopped working. A touch screen will get fucked in my pocket cos it usually has tools and screws and other shit in there with it

I know all you lot have moved on from phones with buttons, but is there a decent one you know off thats any good and most of all durable

Cheers
Hahahahah! Hahahahaha! Hahahahaha!
Let's all laugh and point at the boy who wants a phone to make phone calls. :lol:

But seriously, not many manufacturers are making phones without touchscreens these days. Sony aren't making Cybershot phones any more and all their recent ones have been touchscreens. The flip phones are generally crap cameras now. If you want a good camera, you're looking at a mid-range touchscreen phone.

I don't usually recommend them, but they might do for your requirements. Thought about a Blackberry?
BB Bold 9780 - no t/s, 5mp camera
BB Torch 9800 - t/s, 5mp camera

I don't usually rate BB cameras, but I've not tried any higher than 2mp so these higher res ones might be better quality.

Up to you.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
*Hangs head in shame*

It doesnt have to be a great camera, 2mp is fine. When i go to look at jobs, and there might be a damaged part of a window or door that i need to replace, then i sometimes need to take a pic of it to show the supplier so i get the correct replacement part (i fit windows, door and conservatories btw, we also repair old stuff too)

A broken hinge or handle are not a standard as you think, and its easier to have a pic of it to show them

BB's, i thought, were mainly for email and media? i dont need any of that. If i didnt do the job i did then maybe i would get an iPhone, but what with the insurance, the data and the 24 month contract, i just cant see it being viable for what i need it for

How i long for my Nokia 6230, that was a great little phone

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
BB's, i thought, were mainly for email and media? i dont need any of that. If i didnt do the job i did then maybe i would get an iPhone, but what with the insurance, the data and the 24 month contract, i just cant see it being viable for what i need it for

How i long for my Nokia 6230, that was a great little phone
Best Nokia IMO was the 6310i. A workhorse of a phone that I still have as a backup in case my main phone goes kabooey.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I've been told my odour gives me a quaint charm!

Isn't your X10 still on 1.5?
Nah, they come with 1.6 and can be updated to 2.1.
Now they've been rooted and a way found to apply a recovery image, you can put custom ROMs on as well. There's a couple of Gingerbread attempts over on XDA-Dev.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've been told my odour gives me a quaint charm!

Isn't your X10 still on 1.5?

No dude, mine's on 2.1. 2.2/3 is on the way out in Q2, however this bothers me less as it does all I want right now.

Oh, apart from run Winamp properly. Winamp is fine for a week then force closes all the time. Any ideas for a better media player? One that does FLAC's as well preferably.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Winamp works fine for me, dunno why you're having problems. Have you considered rooting and installing 2.2? Might fix some shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom