New Expansion Announced!

M

Mavl

info from VN ^^
http://vnboards.ign.com/Fans_Round_Table/b5176/62673107/?6

Here is a press release sent back thru time to me from my future self. It was released after the smash openings of WoW and EQ 2. Thought I'd share.

July 2004

Mythic Entertainment announces their latest expansion to their award winning and player-deprived game "Dark Age of Camelot". First there was Foundations, then Frontiers, now comes Dark Age of Camelot: Funerals (tm).
The dozens and dozens of players of DAoC will be thrilled with Funerals. The premise is that since most of our subscribers have cancelled we will bring their characters online and make them shuffle around the realms like zombies. Our remaining paying suck...um players will then seek to destroy as many of these zombies as they can and bury them in shallow graves. Three new classes, one for each realm, will be ideal for this.

Funerals features
1. One new player class per realm; Albion features the Gravedigger, Midgard has the Torchbearer, and Hibernia has the Rockpiler.

The Gravedigger starts with a newbie shovel and can dig one grave per level. At higher levels he can dig larger graves (mass graves) and put many of our former subscribers characters in them. At 50th level, a Gravedigger can dig himself a hole to crawl into to escape our game.

The Torchbearer starts with a flint and steel and must pile corpses on Viking longships. He then lights the wooden ship and sends it off to the zone line. One high level ability of the Torchbearer is that he can set himself on fire and leap onto a ship as well in order to escape our game.

The Rockpiler starts with a good strong rock. He must scour the countryside for other rocks in order to place them around a corpse. A high level Rockpiler can even carry large stones and, with great effort, boulders! Finally, the Rockpiler has a one time ability called 'Landslide'. He can cause a landslide at his location which will bury him, killing him instantly and deleting his account (after an additional month is charged).

We are excited about Funerals. It's been decided not to test it so that our few remaining players can be frustrated trying to make it work. Look for Dark Age of Camelot: Funerals at Big Lots and truck stops all over our great land.

Remember, Mythic puts the FUN in Funeral!

T

the_smurflord

Originally posted by katt!
i thought swg killed daoc already

Nope, if you look at the figures DAOC has never had more players than it does now, and SWG has had a massive drop-off.

N

-Nxs-

Originally posted by the_smurflord
Nope, if you look at the figures DAOC has never had more players than it does now, and SWG has had a massive drop-off.

yup SWG dropped off - but if you look at the figured for unique accounts - i think youll find the number had fallen quite a bit (not that GOA/Mythic care, there still getting more money) but now nearly everyone has a buffbot account and some have a necro account for leveling with.

Just because more accounts are active, does not mean there are more players.

S

soullessminion

i thought swg killed daoc already

SWG is the biggest pile of crap i ever had the misfortune to play!!! most interesting part of game seems to be writeing the macro, to run while at work :(
it dosen't even have bloody space ships you can fly !!!!!!

O

old.Tzeentch

Originally posted by Mavl
info from VN ^^
http://vnboards.ign.com/Fans_Round_Table/b5176/62673107/?6

Here is a press release sent back thru time to me from my future self. It was released after the smash openings of WoW and EQ 2. Thought I'd share.

July 2004

Mythic Entertainment announces their latest expansion to their award winning and player-deprived game "Dark Age of Camelot". First there was Foundations, then Frontiers, now comes Dark Age of Camelot: Funerals (tm).
The dozens and dozens of players of DAoC will be thrilled with Funerals. The premise is that since most of our subscribers have cancelled we will bring their characters online and make them shuffle around the realms like zombies. Our remaining paying suck...um players will then seek to destroy as many of these zombies as they can and bury them in shallow graves. Three new classes, one for each realm, will be ideal for this.

Funerals features
1. One new player class per realm; Albion features the Gravedigger, Midgard has the Torchbearer, and Hibernia has the Rockpiler.

The Gravedigger starts with a newbie shovel and can dig one grave per level. At higher levels he can dig larger graves (mass graves) and put many of our former subscribers characters in them. At 50th level, a Gravedigger can dig himself a hole to crawl into to escape our game.

The Torchbearer starts with a flint and steel and must pile corpses on Viking longships. He then lights the wooden ship and sends it off to the zone line. One high level ability of the Torchbearer is that he can set himself on fire and leap onto a ship as well in order to escape our game.

The Rockpiler starts with a good strong rock. He must scour the countryside for other rocks in order to place them around a corpse. A high level Rockpiler can even carry large stones and, with great effort, boulders! Finally, the Rockpiler has a one time ability called 'Landslide'. He can cause a landslide at his location which will bury him, killing him instantly and deleting his account (after an additional month is charged).

We are excited about Funerals. It's been decided not to test it so that our few remaining players can be frustrated trying to make it work. Look for Dark Age of Camelot: Funerals at Big Lots and truck stops all over our great land.

Remember, Mythic puts the FUN in Funeral!

funnyunavailable.jpg

G

Gadd

i've also dropped swg off, that game could of been so good.

L

Lambsbreed

WoW might take some of the load yes, but imo Darkfall is the most promising one I have seen yet.

C

cHodAX

tbh people said that about swg as well.

WoW is more polished in alpha than swg was on release, everyone knows that swg was released far too early and it was almost 6 months before they even reached stability. It had bags of potential but greedy publishers. Now it looks like WoW won't be released till it is finished, however long that takes which is exactly how an MMORPG should be developed. If swg had shown even 50% of it's potential then there would be twice as many players playing, sadly it is bug ridden and unfinished. As for all these games killing daoc.... a year ago only a few people owned 2 accounts but now the majority own 2 accounts and some even more than that. The player base has shrunk hugely but the figures lie because the game is designed to make you rely on buffbots, so the population stays high even though the actual number of people plummets.

F

Falcon

After playing the WoW Alpha I'd be suprised if WoW made that much of a dent, sure it's only Alpha but there are some things that just don't change from Alpha to release and some of those core things are going to plague the game. As it stands:

- The graphics engine for WoW is outright inferior to even ToA's gfx engine and even that's not exactly an uber engine.

- Most the player models look outright awful, if they don't change them I know I couldn't bare staring at that crap for hours on end

- The control interface is horrible, even if Blizzard do implement PvP it's going to be horrible to play with it as it is right now.

Right now the game resembles Warcraft meet Mario 64, it needs a LOT of work before release. Now I know Blizzard are miracle workers and I'm a massive fan of theirs but I think they're pushing it to make WoW the game it's been so hyped up to be.

As it stands, WoW so far seems to be 100% fluff, 0% content. Fluff wears thin very quickly.

Finally you have to remember one major point DAoC has going for it, it's a mature MMOG. It's balance isn't that brilliant right now but it's better than an MMOG will be at release, this essentially means that ANY of the new MMOGs that come out will have to play catch up with DAoC when it comes to content and balance. The reason you can't perfect balance on day 1 of a game is simple - because you can always guarantee that players will find new ways to do things or bugs to exploit that you just didn't account for in your balance plan.

S

Sibanac

I love how people praise WoW.
Its still in Alpha, there was one leak ok but besides that there is no way off telling if the final game will be anygood.
Its blizard, that means I could actualy be playing the new duke nukem before WoW ever hit the streets

And its not like blizzard made many realy original games, All they realy ever did was copy things from other RTS games

R

Roo Stercogburn

Hehe, chuckled a bit at that :)

Regarding WoW, I will try it out if I can make a char with a lifetap and preferably have a pet or 10. Having Nico around to abuse would be a bonus.

Darkfall looks nice, but all the graphics I've seen look very samey and I've not read anything outrageously unique about it so far.

T

Tafaya Anathas

Originally posted by Falcon
Finally you have to remember one major point DAoC has going for it, it's a mature MMOG. It's balance isn't that brilliant right now

I have laughed IRL for 5 mins reading this. Balance and daoc in the same sentence? roflmao

T

tonita

He can cause a landslide at his location which will bury him, killing him instantly and deleting his account (after an additional month is charged).

They have learned something from GOA :D

E

etcetra

Originally posted by Tafaya Anathas
I have laughed IRL for 5 mins reading this. Balance and daoc in the same sentence? roflmao

daoc have no balance?

X

Xeanor

Originally posted by Falcon
As it stands, WoW so far seems to be 100% fluff, 0% content. Fluff wears thin very quickly.

No, an Alpha where you can only walk around and has no NPC's nor mobs nor other players, not even items and skills and abilities, has no content :p Surprise! Your judgement about the final game is totally stupid.

S

Sichama

Nothing out there beats DAoC at this moment, as far as i am concerned that is, and for the future?

WoW, maybe depends of how PvP is handled. In general Blizzard is a name i trust alot but they have a history of long delays.

Darkfall, maybe but i have the feeling that the dev team behind Darkfall is a quite inexperienced and infuenced too much from UO and older mud games that had problems that don't really exist anymore.

Dragon Empires, the most promising of all as far as i am concerned, although they might concetrate too much avoiding things DAoC Shadowbane and Neocron have that some people don't like and not what makes DAoC and Neocron succesfull.

And beyond the general feeling that comes mainly from the US and VNboards, i think ToA and Frontiers are very promising also, and yes i agree that for new games to beat the ones that allready have succeeded is extremely hard.

Users who are viewing this thread