Frontiers - The RvR expansion...

P

Pin

http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1249.shtml

-------------------------------------------------------------

Taking the Wraps off Frontiers
Posted By: Matt Firor 2003-12-10 09:59:36

It is time to officially take the wraps off our next big project, codenamed "Frontiers". This is Dark Age of Camelot’s long-awaited RvR overhaul; where we take the lessons we’ve learned from the last two years of RvR combat and make appropriate changes. This will be a free expansion, available via download. It is currently scheduled to go into a limited beta in February.

We know that this is a much anticipated update for Camelot, and as such we plan to keep the community fully informed about its design and development details. There will be no secrets in Frontiers – we’ll make all the appropriate information public as soon as we can, so that you, the Camelot community, will have plenty of time to make comments, give your feedback, and be part of the process.

There are three overall goals for Frontiers – goals that every design decision will be evaluated against. The design goals are:

- Make RvR combat more accessible – finding battles more quickly. We want players to be able to log in, find a battle, and RvR.

- Add more tactics and diversity through geography, siege/boat warfare, expanded keep upgrading options. There will be more disparate places to engage in RvR, with more strategic elements.

- More concrete bonuses and abilities as rewards for RvR – in other words, make the awards for RvR more obvious and better presented, and make sure that the Realm ability system is well balanced and logical.

The first big change in Frontiers will be the reorganization of each Realm’s frontier zones into one "region", which means that there will be no zoning between the frontiers. This will make it much easier to communicate with other players, and to travel from one frontier area to another. Each Realm’s new frontier area will be separated from the others by an ocean.

This is the first in a series of regular updates that we’ll be releasing about the Frontiers expansion. In the next update: a map of the updated Midgard frontier.

O

old.TeaSpoon

Interesting about the compilation of the RvR zones. Wondering how it will work.

O

old.yaruar

"boat warfare"

viking raiding parties4tehwin!

T

the_smurflord

Looks very interesting indeed, and is the shot in the arm this game needs.
Hopefully this means no more milegates and fewer hotspots for camping.
Love the idea of ship to ship combat with trebs.

Obviously we need to see the finished product to really venture an opinion, but these ideas hold a lot of promise and should keep the game interesting.

S

Sparda_soul

1 big thid 4tehwin imo

well thats what it looks like it could be atm, just hoping there gunna keep the current frontiers too

C

Cyradix

Boat warfare? Time to practice the old pirate accent. Arrrrr ;)

First thing I thought when reading the boat part was : will be interesting for the stealther warfare. :D

Random group on boat : Hey... why is that empty boat sailing this way??

B

barevoose

hihi, looking forward to seeing all them trolls drowning when they found out their too heavy for teh boat ;)

C

Cala-more

they said the fronteirs were seperated by water, however not that there would be the use of boats

S

Solarius

Yes, but they also state that all realm frontiers will become one region, ie it's possible to go from the Alb frontier to the Mid frontier without zoning.

I would say that boats would probably figure quite prominently here :D

S

Skaven

Originally posted by ning
seems it will not be optional

Aye, that's the only drawback im going to see. Although I agree it's going to be a great addition im already wondering if im going to miss the style of RvR atm.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Skaven
Aye, that's the only drawback im going to see. Although I agree it's going to be a great addition im already wondering if im going to miss the style of RvR atm.

we'll have people being nostalgic about it like we're nostalgic about stunguard and the catacombs not having any drops ;)

M

Mid - Kirinia

...and make sure that the Realm ability system is well balanced and logical.

Hmm so they are going to COMPLETELY revamp the realm ability system then?;)

K

Kallio

Originally posted by Mid - Kirinia
Hmm so they are going to COMPLETELY revamp the realm ability system then?;)

please, this is mythic :p

As I remember thane SC line was to be totally reworked! :rolleyes:

E

Ezeine

DAOC featuring Master and Commander!

OHOY mateys! :cheers:

S

Shike

Originally posted by Ezeine
DAOC featuring Master and Commander!

OHOY mateys! :cheers:

haha, give guards in big ships with cannons then :)

W

Whoodoo_RD

Whos gonna be first to roll chars calle Master Bates and Seaman Staines?

i feel a whole genre of silly sailing names coming on :)

F

Falcon

Hope I can re-roll Jolly Roger my UO fisherman, names prolly taken tho :(

Oh well, as long as they let me bring Sharky then I wont need no stinking boat:

sharky.jpg

S

Sibanac

Albs wont zerg anymore, Its our Armada !!!

Btw i am rolling Roger the cabinboy

O

old.yaruar

Actually thinking about this last night, it might totally change the way relic raids go ahead (+ if they do give better bonuses for RvR activities it will get interesting too) as there won't be tk's and milegates to camp, although I guess there will be other choke points...

F

Falcon

Kinda hoping they'll remove relics altogether and redo that system from scratch tbh.

C

.Cask

Wow. I was talking to a friend a couple of days ago about DAoC's failings (we both quit playing over a year ago) and we both agreed that the realms should have been merged into one land mass. Looks like they heard us talking.

All I can say is that I'm impressed that they've decided to make what promises to be a pretty major overhaul to their cash cow. I laughed when the last expansion was announced to contain more PvE content but at least they're trying to make up for it now.

Shame I sold my main account but I've been tempted to start a new one for a while now so this looks like a good time.

O

old.Ramas

A one zone setup favours zerging.

As it reduces the barriers to switching realm.

Personally I think Mythic need to make zerg v zerg playable. They've openly said it's what the classes are balanced for.

F

Falcon

They've hinted that there'll be more choke points and such, so zerging isn't going to be favourable everywhere, imagine the fun a PBAE group will have if a zerg passes through a choke point. By the sounds of it, this is the whole reason presence node and such has been brought in, because there'll be many more places for stealthers to camp than AMG in the new frontiers.

O

old.Ramas

They've hinted that there'll be more choke points and such, so zerging isn't going to be favourable everywhere

Choke points don't support zerging?

I must be playing a game with different mile gates to you.

M

mbisiker

OK i know this may sound a little stupipd but i am a newbie player and im not completly sure on what zerging actually is so could you bring up to speed please

Much thanks.

F

Falcon

Originally posted by old.Ramas
Choke points don't support zerging?

I must be playing a game with different mile gates to you.

MGs currently offer guaranteed traffic though as it's the only way in, and out, a canyon for example wouldn't be worth camping as there's no guarantee of traffic to come through.

W

Wij

Originally posted by mbisiker
OK i know this may sound a little stupipd but i am a newbie player and im not completly sure on what zerging actually is so could you bring up to speed please

Much thanks.

Gathering together in a REALLY BIG group and smacking up a smaller group without any need for skill. Just greater numbers.

It comes from the Zerg race in Starcraft.

Users who are viewing this thread