TV New Dr Who

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I like the new Doctor, kind of reminds of a blend of the 2nd and 4th Doctor, with the serious and pointing out Human flaws of the 2nd and the quirkiness and dress sense of the 4th. I like the new assistant as well, mind you all she had to do was be better than Tate and that isn't hard.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Amy Pond, hot and ginger! So rare and hard to pull off. Not seen a hot ginger since Willow's lesbo era on Buffy.

New Doc taking some getting used to but seems decent. Last two have both been excellent so he has alot to live up to. So far, so good.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I do have to say, on a retro-retrospec...the Doc seems to take a bit of a backseat in the first two. Only at times mind you and it's not really working against it, could be a remrant from the show concentrating on the doctors last moments so long.

Athan

Resident Freddy
So, what did you think of last night's episode?

My own take on it is it had lots of good elements, but totally failed to bring them together coherently. Far too much of the Doctor standing around talking when he could easily just have been shot instead, and a rather less than convincing way to stop a bomb going off. It rather felt like some 10 year old's attempt at a Dr Who episode. I note this one was written by Mark Gatiss, rather than Steven Moffat, which would seem to explain it.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Aye it was very disjointed. I enjoyed the Where Eagles Dare references and a few other nice touches and lets face it: Spitfires in a space battle. Glorious cheese.

But it did require not so much a suspension of disbelief as putting disbelief into a temporary coma :D

I think they've missed an opportunity with the new daleks to change their basic shape and just keep some of the iconic features such as the eye-stalk, grille and the bubble metal. I mean... different colour daleks... really, was that the best the art department could come up with? :D

Still. Enjoyed it, was fun :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
I just have a minor niggle with the acting/directing. I'm going to risk sounding like a total luvvie, but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it's living in the now - you can get the texture of the words on the page. It jarrs a little too heavily.

Just me?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Those new Daleks were totally shit. Who designed them ?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
But... but... but... they're bigger, harder, nastier with slick paint jobs!!!

Yeah, I agree. They could have put some effort into them.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
9midi.jpg

These are the Daleks from 'Dr Who and the Daleks' from 1965

Look familier?

Jeros

Part of the furniture
If you look at the new daleks they have megane style arses that stick out.

Pfft they should have gone with the idea of dalek walker spider things that i once saw in concept art.

Bit like this

YouTube- Spider Dalek walk test

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Fucking rubbish weren't they? Was very underwhelmed by the whole episode tbh. The Spitfires were silly, and while I enjoyed "Broadsword to Danny Boy", its such an obvious and famous WWII movie reference it just made the whole thing even sillier; I expected the Dam Busters theme tune and someone saying "I'm afraid Ginger's bought it" next. And Ian McNeice isn't a very good Churchill; being fat doesn't mean you automatically qualify.

rynnor

Rockhound
Pretty bad - with such a rich background to exploit it did spectacularly badly.

Plot extremely weak - Daleks are now being produced by Dell in a range of colours ('lollipop, lollipop!...') - I think the series is fast becoming a parody of itself.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
tbh fuck the daleks they are getting ever so fucking boring.

they should pop some lsd pills and dream up somat far mor fucked up

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Gonna spoiler the whole thing just in case, lot of opinions on the way of the show etc so more then plot parts in;

Well the daleks were a homage to old ones, but that's the good thing, the bad thing is that they don't stand time that well.

They aren't really the end all evil as they used to be and along the years of the new doctor they've turned into a joke.

I mean, 1 dalek cause pee in doctors pants and a whole military establishment to go tits up at the start...to...whole new dalek race being destroyed by a temp with some doctor juice in her. Bit of a drop in danger scale.

The poblem with ultimate evil si that you have to have strict rules of behaviour for it to work, and with Daleks they've gone bonkers on the chart.

Maybe they need to take a bit of a step out of the homage box and start messing with the old school rules a bit, bring the metal monsters into the future and make them nasties.

That beign said, i found the episode to be usual, nothing special but nothing too shabby and loved space spitfires(even fi they could've used some work too).

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I know it will be explained, but the bit that annoyed me was when the Doctor turned to Pond and said tell him about the Daleks and the Planets in the sky etc and she just looked stupid at him. I hope it is a case of the Daleks changing history so that they hide themselves, but I hope its not a case of 'sunnydale syndrome' where even though people in the town are attacked by Vampires on a daily basis, they never think any things wrong and forget quickly. I want the people of Earth to remember, I want UNIT fighting on the frontlines against Daleks and Cybermen, not acting as they are new foes every episode they are in.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I know it will be explained, but the bit that annoyed me was when the Doctor turned to Pond and said tell him about the Daleks and the Planets in the sky etc and she just looked stupid at him. I hope it is a case of the Daleks changing history so that they hide themselves, but I hope its not a case of 'sunnydale syndrome' where even though people in the town are attacked by Vampires on a daily basis, they never think any things wrong and forget quickly. I want the people of Earth to remember, I want UNIT fighting on the frontlines against Daleks and Cybermen, not acting as they are new foes every episode they are in.

Clearly this is part of the story-arc for this season and the "crack" has something to do with it. I really hope it isn't anything to do with the bloody Daleks. NuWho has used a "classic" big bad in the climax to every season so far, but you can only recycle the same old characters so often; its about time the series forged ahead did something new; apart from anything else, they've come up with some really good aliens (the Ood, next week's Statues, those nano-thingies from the Library), and they should have the confidence to take those ideas forward.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Gonna spoiler the whole thing just in case, lot of opinions on the way of the show etc so more then plot parts in;

Well the daleks were a homage to old ones, but that's the good thing, the bad thing is that they don't stand time that well.

They aren't really the end all evil as they used to be and along the years of the new doctor they've turned into a joke.

I mean, 1 dalek cause pee in doctors pants and a whole military establishment to go tits up at the start...to...whole new dalek race being destroyed by a temp with some doctor juice in her. Bit of a drop in danger scale.

The poblem with ultimate evil si that you have to have strict rules of behaviour for it to work, and with Daleks they've gone bonkers on the chart.

Maybe they need to take a bit of a step out of the homage box and start messing with the old school rules a bit, bring the metal monsters into the future and make them nasties.

That beign said, i found the episode to be usual, nothing special but nothing too shabby and loved space spitfires(even fi they could've used some work too).

Yeah, when Ecclestone first encountered a dalek he pretty much shit himself, and made it abundantly clear that just one of them would easily fuck the entire world up.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I some how had the channel on when this started, and I thought it was hideous :p the only shining light for me was his side kick who would cetainly get tackled.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
lol @ "replace them with better CGI"

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
How good was tonights ep, pace was almost perfect, the way the sense of terror was built was first class. I can see episodes like this forcing todays children to hide behind the sofa in the way we did watching Dr Who as kids.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I'm liking his assistant a lot more than the Doctor himself. And not just for the obvious reasons :p

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Twas rather scary actually! Wonder how many kids got a good scare lol

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Fantastic episode... quite literally flawless in my eyes. Looking forward to next week. :)

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
The Weeping Angels are the new Daleks, the new Cybermen. Thes incarnations monsters to scare the bejesus out of the kids and adults.

Possibly scarier than those, as you can see them in real life. The new Who (Eccelstone era up) have created something which can stand toe to toe with the older baddies and it's great to see.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Yup, definitely back on form. It's a Steven Moffat episode, which probably has a lot to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom