Nerdy awesome shit we want

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

The thing that I want to see is how the screen looks after a couple of months of use. I'd hope that it would be completely flat when unfolded without a crease down the middle where it had been folded. Oh, and it's $1980, but that's less than I thought it'd be tbh. It looks bloody classy though, if a bit chunky when folded.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

The thing that I want to see is how the screen looks after a couple of months of use. I'd hope that it would be completely flat when unfolded without a crease down the middle where it had been folded. Oh, and it's $1980, but that's less than I thought it'd be tbh. It looks bloody classy though, if a bit chunky when folded.

Hey look, it's the Nokia Communicator

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
My Yamaha AV Amp went pop whilst I was over in the States so am looking at replacing it. It is 5 years old and we have never even considered plugging in more than 2 speakers, so I'm thinking this time just get a higher quality stereo amp, seeing as it is used predominantly for music and we are planning on getting a vinyl deck later in the year.

Currently want one of these: Marantz PM6006 UK Edition (2018) review | What Hi-Fi?

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
My Yamaha AV Amp went pop whilst I was over in the States so am looking at replacing it. It is 5 years old and we have never even considered plugging in more than 2 speakers, so I'm thinking this time just get a higher quality stereo amp, seeing as it is used predominantly for music and we are planning on getting a vinyl deck later in the year.

Currently want one of these: Marantz PM6006 UK Edition (2018) review | What Hi-Fi?

No bluetooth - seems like a missed opportunity in htis day an age.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bluetooth has no business in a Hi Fi System.
Don't see why not. What connects your sony headphones to your phone?

It's a should-have, rather than a don't-give-people-an-option. It doesn't exclude the audiophiles preferences.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It's a Hi-fi system, it's for listening to music so yeah, Bluetooth has no space there.

On a TV/in your car etc, sure thiang, but for a device specifically designed JUST for listening to music? Nah, fuck dat.

That's like buying a £5k TV and watching @Job quality films on it.

Bodhi

Don't see why not. What connects your sony headphones to your phone?

It's a should-have, rather than a don't-give-people-an-option. It doesn't exclude the audiophiles preferences.

My phone isn't a Hi-Fi System? I'm using it in planes, airports, trains, offices and for conference calls, none of which are environments conducive to dragging every last shred of detail from music. LDAC is good (that's the high bitrate BT connection, coming to Bose headphones in 2025), but if I want the best quality from my headphones, I'll use the 3.5mm jack.

Bluetooth is OK for background listening, but I think the assumption Marantz have quite rightly made, is that people aren't spending £329 on an amplifier for background listening. I'm more concerned about the lack of built in Chromecast, but I have a spare Chromecast Audio lying around, so I'll just use that.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
BT has its place. People complain that its not audio quality and then listen to a CD FFS. Data rates on BT now far exceed the bit rate of a a raw CD feed. Digital sources are high enough quality for most scenarios. Was at a garden party recently using Jukestar to login and select the Spotify music playing, was a big hit and a lot of fun.

Bodhi

It does, but not in a Hi Fi. I mean you say BT rates have increased to match CD, the problem is not everyone is using LDAC at this stage - sure Samsung and Sony have gone all in, but Apple and Bose are still pissing around with the original Codec, which is mostly garbage for getting any detail out of the music.

Might be OK for a garden party (background music again), but when the music is the prime focus of what you are doing? It is shit. Pure unadulterated shit.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So you just sit and listen to music without doing anything else?

I don't think I would want to do that.

Bodhi

For a good album, yep.

Unless you count smoking as doing something else? :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It does, but not in a Hi Fi. I mean you say BT rates have increased to match CD, the problem is not everyone is using LDAC at this stage - sure Samsung and Sony have gone all in, but Apple and Bose are still pissing around with the original Codec, which is mostly garbage for getting any detail out of the music.

Might be OK for a garden party (background music again), but when the music is the prime focus of what you are doing? It is shit. Pure unadulterated shit.
That's why I think it should be an option...

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Logitech Bluetooth Receiver/Bluetooth Audio Adapter
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJYG4FY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VFdECb5MDMVP5

Just plug one of those in then?

Or if you want the best solution for getting music from a phone to an amp, a Chromecast Audio.

Already have one, that replaced an old ipod dock. Harman wanted 200 GBP for the latest so I went for $30 BT box. Isn't the APTX standard supposed to address the CD quality issues over BT, also with >4.1 BT sustained data rates should exceed requirements.

ooh found this article which is interesting:
Audio quality of Bluetooth aptX and aptX HD - Articles - SoundExpert

Bodhi

I have one as well. It's been sitting in a box for about 3 years, as music sounded like someone had put a pillow over the speakers compared to a CD / Aux In.

AptX is a bit of a halfway house - there is LDAC now which is even higher bitrate, but still compressed and still not up there with CD/Vinyl. In fact it can't even compete with the Chromecast in terms of quality, or convenience.

Bodhi

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmm my Hi Fi plans appear to have grown. What started off as just an amp is now:

Amp - Marantz PM6006 UK Edition (2018) review | What Hi-Fi?

CD Player - Marantz CD6006 UK Edition review | What Hi-Fi?

Network Streamer - Marantz NA6006 Network Audio Player - this has Bluetooth if you think Mozart sounds better at the bottom of a swimming pool.

And probably a decent record deck for under £250 if such a thing exists.
I have a Marantz UD5007 as my "disc" player and love it though it is getting on now.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I have one as well. It's been sitting in a box for about 3 years, as music sounded like someone had put a pillow over the speakers compared to a CD / Aux In.

AptX is a bit of a halfway house - there is LDAC now which is even higher bitrate, but still compressed and still not up there with CD/Vinyl. In fact it can't even compete with the Chromecast in terms of quality, or convenience.
The one I have is a much newer spec BT with aptX and actually sounds ok for the streaming source we use it for.

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J3GTRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LDAC is pretty much Sony only though right? So wont become an industry standard

Bodhi

The one I have is a much newer spec BT with aptX and actually sounds ok for the streaming source we use it for.

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078J3GTRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LDAC is pretty much Sony only though right? So wont become an industry standard

Nope, Sony have given it to Google to put into Base Android, believe it is up to the manufacturers if they include it or not. It's built in to my Samsung S3 Tab now, presumably built into Samsung phones as well.

But even then, as you say, it only sounds OK.

All a bit immaterial now, as my Yamaha Amp has returned from the dead. Just needed unplugging and plugged back in again. I presume this is the 3rd layer of "turn it off and back on again".

1 - Turn it off and back on again
2 - Turn it off and leave it for 5 minutes, then turn it back on
3 - Turn it off, unplug it for 30 mins, then plug it back in again.
4 - Nah that's fucked mate.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I guess its just to give a bigger screen in a pocket size. But really just a gimmick tbh

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Range is shite. What if you fancy going to, say, Cornwall* for a long weekend or a wedding?

Electric vehicles aren't there yet. There's a reason why there's special insurance which includes picking up cars that have run out of charge.

Don't see the point of being an early adopter until the infrastructure is ready and the tech is more mature myself.

*or any far-away place which would require a recharge. "Far away" in a tesla being *half* the distance I can get on a single tank in our Honda - with a 3 minute refuel time.

They're nice, but not ready IMO.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Very true @Scouse, if I wanted to drive the 8.5hrs from Edinburgh to Cornwall I would have to stop once en route. Makes you think.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Very true @Scouse, if I wanted to drive the 8.5hrs from Edinburgh to Cornwall I would have to stop once en route. Makes you think.
And not just once, but for a long time. Difference could easily mean the journey isn't worth it as you'd get there too late/with too little juice to go on the next day without burning up more precious time.

Basically, if you ever have any aspirations to go long distances (family emergency even?) then tec needs to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom