Nerdy awesome shit we want

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Not to mention you'd have to plan your trip so you pass charge stations. And then pray that they work.. :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Don’t see the problem myself. I always need to stop every couple of hours for a piss. Half an hours juice whilst having a coffee will sort it for another couple of hours.

Plus the wife’s car is petrol anyway.

Most of my miles are a 12 mile commute to Bradford and back. Charging at home costs peanuts.

I am actually considering a fast electric next time I swap. For the planet like.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I do 260 miles ish to london each time. Only gotta get ana ccident to hold you up a couple hours and you have to sit with no radio or aircon in the queue in case you have to sit for 3 hours in a charging point.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Oh really? :)
Cause the batteries are planet savers. Lol. Donno about telsas but the japanese hybrids those batteries and their components are shipped multiple times around the world. And they are a pain to recycle as well.

And you will probably need new sets of batteries over the years.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cause the batteries are planet savers. Lol. Donno about telsas but the japanese hybrids those batteries and their components are shipped multiple times around the world. And they are a pain to recycle as well.

And you will probably need new sets of batteries over the years.
Yeah, because petrol just appears naturally under every Shell & BP...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, because petrol just appears naturally under every Shell & BP...
Didnt say petrol was environmentally good. Just that batteries and electric arnt that green either. And at the moment a huge inconvenience factor over petrol at the moment.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You can charge 200 miles range in a tesla in under 40 minutes, I don't see what the range bullshit is.

Teslas are also 50% more efficient in kwh than the audi etron, a car released this year that's been teased forever and yet is worse in every respect than a 2012 model s. ( range, accel, price, etc )
If that's the level the big manufacturers are bringing then they're gonna get their clocks cleaned.

Teslas lack of marketing is annoying, but it makes sense given they sell every single unit that rolls off the production line.
When they are making 50k cars/week instead of 7k then they need to start working on selling to the wider public.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Tesla and most other electric cars are also outside the price range of most people.
So no real need to market them as you know nobody can buy them.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You can charge 200 miles range in a tesla in under 40 minutes, I don't see what the range bullshit is.

Teslas are also 50% more efficient in kwh than the audi etron, a car released this year that's been teased forever and yet is worse in every respect than a 2012 model s. ( range, accel, price, etc )
If that's the level the big manufacturers are bringing then they're gonna get their clocks cleaned.

Teslas lack of marketing is annoying, but it makes sense given they sell every single unit that rolls off the production line.
When they are making 50k cars/week instead of 7k then they need to start working on selling to the wider public.
200 miles and a 40 minute wait make plenty of my weekend dart-from-work-on-friday jaunts totally untenable from a timing perspective.

Difference between getting to a destination in time for check-in and lasties and turning up after midnight.

And a south of france or scotland trip? Even though you budget more time, fuck that.

Coupled with the fact that the infrastructure isn't there yet (especially in remote destinations) and their lolzrofflez prices which would mean I couldn't afford to go away any more if I owned one means that no, even the best of electric vehicles aren't good enough for my purposes yet.

Other people? Fine. Me? Not even close yet.

No point in early adoption IMO.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Tesla and most other electric cars are also outside the price range of most people.
So no real need to market them as you know nobody can buy them.

Isn't the newest Tesla affordable, but as ECA said, there's no marketing (I don't even think they're selling them in the UK?)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
35.000 USD.. Not sure how affordable that is but it's cheaper at least... But that only has a 220 mile range.

Gwadien

35.000 USD.. Not sure how affordable that is but it's cheaper at least... But that only has a 220 mile range.

Ah yeah, I remember now.

You can't get them on lease, that's the problem.

Everyone and their mum leases in the UK now, it's weird, 10 years ago you'd see old cars everywhere, now you rarely see cars that are 10+ years old.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Isn't the newest Tesla affordable, but as ECA said, there's no marketing (I don't even think they're selling them in the UK?)
Tesla Model 3 performance costs a shade less than an M3 so they are affordable depending on where in the market you were looking anyway.

ECA

I am a FH squatter

£39k in the uk ( after the 3k grant or whatever it is ), which means you pay luxury car tax on it ( £320/year for 5 years ) even though you escape vehicle emission duty.
That's for standard range ( 220 miles full range ).

Long range starts at £47k, and has 275-300 mile range depending on weather/driving.
If you want long range performance then its £57k.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Every EV owner I know is adamant that range is a non-issue, even in remote parts of the UK. It's not like we are all emergency blood couriers that absolutely have to drive for 8hrs at a time without stopping!
The price has however put me off, due to the reasons mentioned above.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Range is most likely a non-issue for them because they don't drive far enough often enough for it to be one.

I could probably deal with 40 minutes to an hour recharge wait too if i only had to deal with it two or three times a month. But not several times a week, i'd go fucking nuts.

Gwadien

Range is most likely a non-issue for them because they don't drive far enough often enough for it to be one.

I could probably deal with 40 minutes to an hour recharge wait too if i only had to deal with it two or three times a month. But not several times a week, i'd go fucking nuts.

How often do you do more than 220 miles though?

Remember that you can recharge when you get to your destination.

If anything, it'd be less of a hindrance than a petrol car, because so long as you're not doing 220 miles a day, you'd never have to go out of your way to stop anywhere :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Ah yeah, I remember now.

You can't get them on lease, that's the problem.

Everyone and their mum leases in the UK now, it's weird, 10 years ago you'd see old cars everywhere, now you rarely see cars that are 10+ years old.
Down here in the west country you do. Lots of older cars here.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
How often do you do more than 220 miles though?

Remember that you can recharge when you get to your destination.

If anything, it'd be less of a hindrance than a petrol car, because so long as you're not doing 220 miles a day, you'd never have to go out of your way to stop anywhere :)
Quite a lot for me. And would you have the guts to be on a motorway when the range on the electric car shows like 30 miles to go? The way my phone drops from 30% to 0 seems a lot quicker than 100-70.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Tesla just dropped UK prices, £38k for SR+ and £48500 for performance....

hot damn... that's insane considering how many cars more expensive the performance ( long range only for the P ), shits on from great heights.
If you're gonna spend 30k+ on a car just buy a tesla, the fuel/maint saving make it worthwhile even if the outlay is higher.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Every EV owner I know is adamant that range is a non-issue, even in remote parts of the UK. It's not like we are all emergency blood couriers that absolutely have to drive for 8hrs at a time without stopping!
The price has however put me off, due to the reasons mentioned above.

My sister and brother in law have a Leaf and an i3 REX, both talk about range limitations all the time. Plus to get anywhere near the range quoted, it's a 56 mph in the slow lane slipstreaming lorries job. If they have to go further than Preston they have to hire a real car. They've also gone from buying a secondhand diesel and running it into the ground, to replacing their cars every two years to get the latest tech and non-useless range - so there's a large chance their carbon emissions (whatever they are) have actually gone up.

Skills.

Plus for my uses, I could do 3 miles in a day, or I could do 400, and if I'm doing 400, a 30 minute charge stop is about 25 minutes longer than I usually stop - add in the fact I'd have to do 56 mph rather than 86 mph to avoid having to stop again, even a Tesla P100D would be as much use to me as a bar of soap at an Extinction Rebellion protest. Add in the shocking build quality, the companies uncertain future, and the likelihood of randomly getting called a paedophile by the guy who owns it, I'll stick to my 10 year old BM thanks.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
@Bodhi

The older leafs don't have any active cooling/heating on their battery packs which results in charge limitations and "less good" battery degradation than the competition.
The i3 is a fucking joke piece of crap and anyone who owns one is basically waving a flag saying "I'm an idiot, prey on me".

In particular the older leafs have a real world range of 100 ish miles ( assuming some motorway ), advertising around 140.

The 2019 leaf got active battery cooling ( which helps a lot, even if they went a bit basic on the tech ), and a much bigger battery.
225 miles ish advertised so probably 150+ with some motorway.

Teslas are much better than the competition at hitting advertised range because they are much more aerodynamic, they are hitting much lower cda numbers than the competition so they don't suffer as badly when you increase speed.
You can find range tests at motorway speeds that will verify that.

Mass market wise the VW shared platform should bring the cost down further.
As we get more efficient batteries and more energy dense batteries the cost goes down and the efficiency/savings will become greater than they are now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still.Tech not ready yet.

When it is, I'll jump. I'm all for no-local-emissions transport. Other than that, I'd have to be forced.

Been on tesla forums in response to this thread. Like @Bodhi says - lots of noise that you have to drive slow to get close to advertised snd advertised isn't good enough IMO.

In other news - might be going to Endhoven via Harwich ferry this weekend in a mates old camper van. Then off to 'dam for a day then home Sunday, 11pm.

Lots of driving, no long stops. Last minute (seeing tomorrow if I can get the day off). Would be a pain just getting to the ferry in an EV.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The i3 makes me want to vomit. Who the fuck designed it?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I can't bring myself to drink the Tesla kool-aid; they have the best battery tech but (imho) look like shit (the X and the 3 at least) and are terribly built. I also can't buy into the minimalism when I'm spending that much money.

Like most people I expect our first electric car will be a second car while we keep an ICE (or hybrid) for a few years yet. Chances are it will be when VW start to flood the market in a couple of years time; most of the electrics in the Irish market are bonkers expensive; the iPace, which I really like because Jag chose to take advantage of the improved packaging choices electric can deliver (unlike Audi or Merc), is a hundred grand over here, even with the (pitiful) rebate.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Dunno but I am tempted by the I pace and model 3 performance even though the Tesla build quality is a bit hit and miss.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
the iPace, which I really like because Jag chose to take advantage of the improved packaging choices electric can deliver (unlike Audi or Merc), is a hundred grand over here, even with the (pitiful) rebate.
Ouch.

Can get a decent 2-bed semi with a garage in Nottingham for 120...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom