Help NAS drives (again, again)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Brilliant little thing. It just sits there, nice and quiet, serving all my tasty tasty files. It's dutifully snapshot'ing all my data every hour should I lose/delete anything. :)

Since OS X Lion I can't use Timemachine to it (AFP changed with Lion).

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm both loving and hating FreeNAS at the same time.

Got SABNZBd+ running on it but it can't get out of the lan onto the interwebs to do anything useful.

*rage*

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Annoying. Can get it to work without SSL now but gets capped right away but can't get it working with SSL.

*extra rage*

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What is this application you speak of? Post a URL and I will have a play...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Some help please guys, I've tried to add two 1tb drives to create a second array. Freenas sees the drives as 1.8tb, and gives an error when I try and create a new volume.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Two extra drives or your two original drives?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Two extra, the two original are 2tb. Will the HP not like that configuration?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It should do fine mate, that's how T has his iirc.

It was just if it was the existing two you have to rub the old volumes first.

When you go storage -> create volume does it list the new drives under member disks?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
yes, but as 1.8tb - they are only 1tb drives!

Might have a check in the bios of the microserver and see what's going on there.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
So i just spunked some cash on one of them HP microservers.

Got an nvidia GT220, 2tb hdd and a 2gig stick of ram for it too. Helped to use up some of my play.com vouchers :) Later down the line I might put in a blu-ray drive too.

Should get it before the weekend with luck but won't get to play with it till next week. :/

For a start I'm going to chuck 32 bit XP Pro on it and see how it goes. Mostly cos that's how I have it set up on my current NAS type box thing and I know it works and the missus is familiar with it.

Should free up a 2x Dual core xeon (2gig) machine. Only catch is the AGP bus so it's not much use to me any more.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
yes, but as 1.8tb - they are only 1tb drives!

Might have a check in the bios of the microserver and see what's going on there.
That would seem your best bet mate. Watch the boot sequence and check that the drives are being picked up. Who knows, maybe you got lucky and somebody shipped you larger drives than you ordered?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nah, they have both been in my main pc and used, so I know they aren't buggered and what size they are...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It hasn't put the two together as a RAID 0 without you realising? Just checking.

I have no experience with proper NAS boxes but some with RAID and 1.8 is the sort of size a 2 x 1tb RAID 0 array would be...

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
So I've got mine up and running pretty well now after a fair bit of faffing with drivers necessary to offload processing to the GPU.

In addition to the base specs it now contains:
extras 2 gigs ram (3 in total...I'm surprised the new stick plays well with the one it shipped with)
1tb hdd
2tb hdd
Nvidia GT220 1gig ddr3 graphics

I've installed utorrent, steam, boxee, ps3 media server and the coreavc codecs on it.

I have to say I'm very pleased with it's performance. It 'almost' plays Battlefield:BC2. Maybe it'll be plenty playable with a bit of tweaking.

It plays L4D2 just fine on max settings at 1080p if you turn off AA.

Not had a chance to try much else but I'm very pleased with it overall. Superb little box and so much quieter than the last medai pc I had in the lounge. :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have to say I'm very pleased with it's performance. It 'almost' plays Battlefield:BC2. Maybe it'll be plenty playable with a bit of tweaking.

It plays L4D2 just fine on max settings at 1080p if you turn off AA.
That is nuts! :D

Yaka

Part of the furniture
how good is the hp micro server as a nas? what transfer speeds are peep getting.

also preety much going dump my shitty drobo and nas addon but one feature i really like about it is the ability to pull out a b0rked drive (had 2 seagates 1,5tbs go clicky on me) and replace with bigger drives and it just sorts it self out and carry on as normal. dont suppose freenass or uraid offers a similar feature does it?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Works fine for me, maxes out my shitty O2 router. I've got mine running freenas but as you can see from the thread Kenny got his running windows.

Starman

Part of the furniture
Generally transfer rates of around 80-100MB/sec via a GigE switch and my 7800n router.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Same here between my Synology and the HP I get peaks of 115 though 2 cheap GB Switches.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
good enough for me, just sold my drobo + nass addon for a tidy sum.
think i'll order mid week so i'll have a go at setting it up next weekend

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So my IDE controller wasn't set in RAID mode...

I changed it to raid mode and created a logical array with my two 1gig drives... all good. Expect now freebsd won't boot, it gets to to first stage of boot and restarts :(

Pap.

Looks like I'll have to back up all my data and then start again. Gh3y!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So the offer is still going, up to the end of September. I do quite want one.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
how do you get mynzb to work? ive entered all the info settings asks for but still cant connect

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom