Help NAS drives (again, again)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've never used it Yaks. I use SABmini and have had no issues.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I'm reading about your HP Micro server lads but I am struggling to suss something out, apart from Kenneh do any of you have an OS on your box? I read that FreeNAS is being used but can that be used without an OS or are you installing Unix etc on the server before putting the other stuff on?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
FreeNAS is a form of unix mate. Best run in this box off a USB key.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
FreeNAS is a form of unix mate. Best run in this box off a USB key.

Indeed, it's a version of a mini-FreeBSD, but I can't remember which one. Basically it's a web interface for a customised FreeBSD (*nix)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's based on NanoBSD

Trem

Ok, I got one, mainly for the boy to use to watch his shows etc. We struggle now we don't have a PC.

So help meh!

Should I install some sort of server software onto it? I want to use it as a NAS and possibly to watch online content, whats the best way to go about it? If I were to install Windows Server would that be a ball ache for a server spaz like me? Should I install Windows 7 on it, would that be better? Should I install nothing on it?

Gah!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What drives are you people putting in yours? I'm thinking (if I buy the server) I would put 4 x 2TB Samsung F4's in it? I have 4 of them already in an internal RAID 5 and it does what it's supposed to do very nicely.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Trem, being perfectly honest, if you're not sure how to get on with server stuff, just stick on any variety of windows and just use the built in sharing stuff.

caLLous lots of people are using those. I went with WD Eco Green drives (2TB also) because I wanted to keep the power consumption down.

soze

I am a FH squatter
What drives are you people putting in yours? I'm thinking (if I buy the server) I would put 4 x 2TB Samsung F4's in it? I have 4 of them already in an internal RAID 5 and it does what it's supposed to do very nicely.

One thing to mention is if you intend to keep Raid 5 you will need a controller. As mine only supports Raid 1 or Raid 0, unless some of the newer ones are different?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
FreeNAS 8.0.1 RC1 is out

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
One thing to mention is if you intend to keep Raid 5 you will need a controller. As mine only supports Raid 1 or Raid 0, unless some of the newer ones are different?
Good point well made, I didn't think of that. I just assumed there would be a ICH10R controller or something similar on the mobo.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
thought it did software raid 5 or some thing

Trem

Right, just turned it on and I am installing Windows 7.

I find it a bit hummy, a bit noisy, wanted it under my TV but not sure I can bear the hummmmmmmmmmmmm, ah well I will see.

So what is the best streaming software nowadays, is it still (*shudder*) TvVersity?

Will be streaming mainly to the Popcorn Hour and PS3 and will use the server for my boy to watch his online things.

Help appreciated.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Really? Mine is as silent as a deadly fart. Is it on a stable base Mr Tremmington?

Also +1 for PS3 Media Server.

I can't wait for packages on FreeNAS because at the moment I've got to survive on MiniDLNA and that means no MKV on PS3 for me atm :(

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Really? Mine is as silent as a deadly fart. Is it on a stable base Mr Tremmington?

Also +1 for PS3 Media Server.

I can't wait for packages on FreeNAS because at the moment I've got to survive on MiniDLNA and that means no MKV on PS3 for me atm :(

I haven't switched my PS3 on in nearly a year now, Mac Mini under the TV, running XBMC streaming media directly from the MicroServer. Heaven :)

Trem

ps3mediaserver - Java Upnp Media Server, dedicated to PS3 - Google Project Hosting pisses over owt else out there

also if you are gonna use it a s htpc then you could swap the fan for a less noisey one think there are some that shift same amount or more air and are more silent.

Will PS3 Media Server stream to other stuff as well as the PS3? I did use it once but can't remember what it was compatible with.

Yeah so is mine..............it was the pump for the fish tank that was humming :D

Meg, Meggington, Meglar, Megbacon.........can I use the server as a sharing thingy and use the remote desktop on my laptop to it with them both having the same Windows serial on them? A legit copy (well as legit as can be, I bought it off Ch3t).

I haven't switched my PS3 on in nearly a year now, Mac Mini under the TV, running XBMC streaming media directly from the MicroServer. Heaven :)

Same question almighty Deebington, will XBMC stream to all and sundry?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
XBMC will play 99% of anything thrown at it. It is an application that streams any type of media, pictures, music or video.

So, my setup is as follows:

Mac Mini, connect to network and connected to AMP/TV via HDMI. Installed on this is XBMC. That is it!

On my NAS I have an Apple and Windows share (was testing both, you only need one) which contains all my pictures, music, video. Inside XBMC I told it about the share.

When I launch XBMC it checks the share for new content, if any is found it downloads anything there is to know about it, ie screenshots, bios, news etc. Takes a second.

I watch/listen to video/music/pictures. No noise, the mac mini doesn't break into a sweat ever as XBMC uses the GPU to decode the 1080P video with NO NO NO NO transcoding required.

Summary:

The fucking best ever purchase I have made in regard to home cinema and streaming of any type of media.

Will PS3 Media Server stream to other stuff as well as the PS3? I did use it once but can't remember what it was compatible with.

Yeah so is mine..............it was the pump for the fish tank that was humming :D

Meg, Meggington, Meglar, Megbacon.........can I use the server as a sharing thingy and use the remote desktop on my laptop to it with them both having the same Windows serial on them? A legit copy (well as legit as can be, I bought it off Ch3t).

Same question almighty Deebington, will XBMC stream to all and sundry?

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you are putting Windows on it you could just install a graphics card and run XBMC Windows on the box. Get rid of a box altogether.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I have been very tempted to ditch my PS3 streaming setup for a Mac Mini, but the PS3 setup is only used now and again so I've stuck with it for the time being.

Trem

God this may all be beyond me.

How do I get a torrent program to work on it so I can access it via my laptop (much as I do with Transmission on the NAS)?

Put Transmission on it but I couldn't work out the IP etc so I can put Transmission Remote on the lappy and get to it that way.

I am thinking putting Windows on was a bad idea because the permissions is doing my fucking head in, allowed access to all users, gave them full permissions and it still won't let me access it.

I am useless at this type of stuff, have no patience.

:(

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Bring up IE on the microserver

start -> run -> cmd (enter)

ipconfig (enter)

scroll up and look for

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.71

whatever is there instead of 192.168.1.71 should be the IP address of your NAS

Trem

Ta Meg.

Actually Windows is getting on my tits so I am going to try FreeNAS. Is it easy enough to install Transmission and a news reader on it? How do you go about the hardware drivers if the only OS is FreeNAS?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
An advantage to FreeNAS is that BSD is a unix variant, so basically it will either work or just go "fuck off" so you forget about driver stuff.

With FreeNAS 0.7 I believe it comes with Transmission but is no longer being developed. Basically if you use it you'll be in a dead end.

On FreeNAS 8 you can install transmission and SABnzbd (I've done it) but it's a lot of typing commands into SSH terminal windows mate, I think you'll end up banging your head on the keyboard. Whilst I managed it it took me a good hour reading all the stuff and then tracing back through it when I'd missed something and fucked it up. It'll also break every time you update, I just had to redo it all to go from 8.0.1 beta 4 to 8.0.1 release candidate 1. There will also be no GUI just a command line of doom.

If windows really is being a shitbrick for you and you've got nothing on the box you're worried about using you could always install FreeNAS and wait for them to put in package support (which they say they will but it's a "roadmap" item so it may never happen).

Alternatively you might consider an easy to use Debian based Linux distribution like Ubuntu (or Linux Mint). You would install this to the HDD (it would need to be wiped clear if you did and you'd loose some space) and then you'd be able to install software like transmission using either the software centre or a single command like:

"sudo apt-get install transmission"

It would then just ask you for your password that you used during setup, i.e. your login details) and thereafter do the rest for you. This has the advantages that being debian based the software is likely always going to be there and being the popular kids they're unlikely to disappear.

All that said mate, before you go off the deep end with Windows, post us a screenshot of the permissions settings you've used and lets see if we can't figure that out before you waste hours! :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
God this may all be beyond me.

How do I get a torrent program to work on it so I can access it via my laptop (much as I do with Transmission on the NAS)?

Put Transmission on it but I couldn't work out the IP etc so I can put Transmission Remote on the lappy and get to it that way.

I am thinking putting Windows on was a bad idea because the permissions is doing my fucking head in, allowed access to all users, gave them full permissions and it still won't let me access it.

I am useless at this type of stuff, have no patience.

:(

If you are talking about permissions on share the easiest way I have found is creating a user with the same username and password on each machine and using that for the permissions. If you are using Server 2008 then file sharing is not out of the box it is a role you need to install.

Trem

An advantage to FreeNAS is that BSD is a unix variant, so basically it will either work or just go "fuck off" so you forget about driver stuff.

With FreeNAS 0.7 I believe it comes with Transmission but is no longer being developed. Basically if you use it you'll be in a dead end.

On FreeNAS 8 you can install transmission and SABnzbd (I've done it) but it's a lot of typing commands into SSH terminal windows mate, I think you'll end up banging your head on the keyboard. Whilst I managed it it took me a good hour reading all the stuff and then tracing back through it when I'd missed something and fucked it up. It'll also break every time you update, I just had to redo it all to go from 8.0.1 beta 4 to 8.0.1 release candidate 1. There will also be no GUI just a command line of doom.

If windows really is being a shitbrick for you and you've got nothing on the box you're worried about using you could always install FreeNAS and wait for them to put in package support (which they say they will but it's a "roadmap" item so it may never happen).

Alternatively you might consider an easy to use Debian based Linux distribution like Ubuntu (or Linux Mint). You would install this to the HDD (it would need to be wiped clear if you did and you'd loose some space) and then you'd be able to install software like transmission using either the software centre or a single command like:

"sudo apt-get install transmission"

It would then just ask you for your password that you used during setup, i.e. your login details) and thereafter do the rest for you. This has the advantages that being debian based the software is likely always going to be there and being the popular kids they're unlikely to disappear.

All that said mate, before you go off the deep end with Windows, post us a screenshot of the permissions settings you've used and lets see if we can't figure that out before you waste hours! :)

Oh god mate, you have well and truly scared the shit out of me :(

Will sort screenies out later, the kids are watching Phineas and Ferb now :/

Couldn't even cocking access the drive from the Popcorn Hour as that says it is unauthorised.

I have sort of sussed out how to get Transmission on it, I need the daemon version but for the fucking life of me I can't find a download for it, awful website.

If you are talking about permissions on share the easiest way I have found is creating a user with the same username and password on each machine and using that for the permissions. If you are using Server 2008 then file sharing is not out of the box it is a role you need to install.

I am using Windows 7, the same Windows 7 that is on my laptop, I am wondering if that may somehow be the problem.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sorry fella but it seemed sensible to open your eyes that windows might be being a fucker but it's still probably easier in the long run.

If transmission is fucking you about ditch it and install uTorrent which is a better fit for windows anyway. Read up on it here.

If Win 7 is fucking you about go:

Start -> (type in) Sharing -> Manage advanced sharing.

Then try turning off "Password Protected Sharing"

More information on that here

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom