Help NAS drives (again, again)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
try freenas mate after a few hours + signs will pop up above your head and your xp will have increased

seriously tho yes youll find it hard at first mabe even hate it. but youll grow used to it in the end

Embattle

FH is my second home
Synology DiskStation Manager 3.2 got officially released a few days ago.

Always a good website for NAS etc - We Got Served

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
ps3media server + freenas 8 = :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Blatant abuse of mod smiley power tbpfh. :eek:

Is this HP ProLiant server still a good buy at the pricepoint even if I don't get it in time to be applicable for the cashback?

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Lian Li PC-Q08B

16062.jpg

16064.jpg

ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe

asus_e35m1_i_deluxe.jpg

+ 8 gigs of mem and you're done for €250 - €300 (well still needs HD's).

You could throw in any Mini ITX MB.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
hp is preety much reddy to go, just needs fed more ram far cheaper than building one. which is why peeps are going ape shit over it

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
HP is a good deal with the cashback. Without, not sure as they're going to release a follow up with a slightly better processor I believe.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
What HP NAS/server are we talking about? (so I can make random arguements for my case :<)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
N36L Microserver

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Lian Li PC-Q08B
I would go with the upcoming PC-Q25, it looks perfect for a 4 (or 6 or 8) drive NAS.
85g.jpg

Space for 5 (hotswappable) drives in the cage and 3 more on the tray at the bottom. I have no need for a optical drive in it so this new case is tempting me quite badly.
85f.jpg

Quite a looker as well. :)

Put a Mini-ITX board in there with an Intel i5 or something with 8gb RAM, hook it up to the network and to my telly via HDMI and I have myself a NAS and a tasty little media server to boot.

Starman

Part of the furniture
FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC2 Available
FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC2 has been released. From the Release Notes:

This is Release Candidate 2 for FreeNAS 8.0.1....hopefully the last stepping stone to FreeNAS 8.0.1-RELEASE.

*** IMPORTANT ***

The image size increased in 8.0.1-BETA3. The new size requires a 2 GB storage device. The GUI upgrade can be used to upgrade a system from BETA3, BETA4, or RC1 but upgrades from earlier releases can only be done from the CD. The other option is to save the config, reinstall the new version, then restore the config.

Major changes:

- The mail subsystem has been rewritten due to major interop issues with the previous implementation of the mail subsystem and various mail server setups (including gmail). This was done by removing msmtp and replacing it's functionality with python code. (r7756, r7757, r7758 )

- The iSCSI target daemon (istgt) has been updated to address interoperability issues with VMWare ESXi 5.0 (r7530, r7652, r7817)

Changes since 8.0.1-RC1

- Fix a bug where a failed upgrade after a config was uploaded was resulting in the system "reverting" to using the uploaded config instead of the previous running config. (r7535)

- Save config now uses a hostname/date combo in the file name. (r7567)

- Fix a bug with replacing devices in place. (r7575)

- Add a confirmation password field for dyndns. (r7576)

- If the webgui can't bind to the address specified in the GUI bind to the wildcard. Set an alert if this is done. (r7562, r7563, r7570, r7579)

- Add a save debug button in the system -> advanced GUI to ease collecting diagnostic information when shell access isn't configured. (r7592)

- Allow an interface to accept tagged and untagged packets. (r7604, r7609)

- Improvements to ataidle. (r7648)

- Reverse the list for ipv4 netmask. (r7663)

- Fix openldap authenticating against servers that require SSL/STARTTLS (r7685)

- Build python with a larger stack size. This should solve intermittent django stability issues (r7689)

- Move the USB 3 driver to a module so it can be disabled for hardware that has issues booting with the module enabled. (r7691)

- Allow the iSCSI extent file browser to show files. (r7695)

- Allow iSCSI extents to be used by one target->extent mapping. (r7697)

- Restrict the iSCSI target name to values allowed by the target and the RFC covering iqns. (r7698)

- Restart collectd properly when volumes are created or destroyed. (r7704)

- Make timezone changes take effect immediately in django. (r7720)

- Use the file browser for editing iSCSI file extents. (r7728)

- Ensure that the selection for an iSCSI file extent is a file and not a directory. (r7729)

- Allow auto-importer to work when there are zpools that contain subsets of each other's names. eg: tank and tank2 (r7732)

- Update django to 1.3.1 to address multiple security vulnerabilities. (r7745)

- Fix a bug where the system would attempt to change permissions from an unknown user to root:wheel. (r7762)

- Disable building the weekly locate database. (r7765)

Errata:

CHAP doesn't work with GlobalSAN initiators on OS X.

Upgrades from FreeNAS 0.7 aren't supported.
FreeNAS: FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC2 Available

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cool. Cheers Starman.

Anyone know how to get the linux emulation to compile into FreeNAS? It's the only thing fucking up a fully functional PS3MediaServer as far as I can tell from my tinkering, unless tsmuxer has a BSD version somewhere?

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Has anyone got their cashback yet? I got an email ages ago telling me it was being sorted but nothing's arrived yet....

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Mine came through quite swiftly afterwards mate, less than a month if memory serves because I used the cash to buy the extra HDD's for mine.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Mine came through quite swiftly afterwards mate, less than a month if memory serves because I used the cash to buy the extra HDD's for mine.

Ok cheers. It's been over a month so I've sent them a nagging email.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It's done as part of a monthly run the longest you should wait is 5 weeks.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
It's done as part of a monthly run the longest you should wait is 5 weeks.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I got an email back from them apologising for the delay and the next batch would be processed next week.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Mine is setup with a 4 drive ZFS. No issues so far and I run torrents on the fucker.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
ZFS does look pretty bloody good but I was just going to chuck Windows on there tbh... But ZFS looks cheaper to implement because you don't need RAID hardware and you can just go with a straight SATA card and then make a RAID-Z. I want *some* sort of redundancy, I read somewhere that RAID-Z(1) is a bad idea because it thrashes the hell out of the other disks trying to rebuild (or resilver or whatever they call it) the file system.
teh wiki said:
...raidz1 (similar to RAID-5) should be avoided, because repairing a raid puts additional stress on the other disks which might cause them to crash, losing all data in the storage pool if configured as raidz1. Therefore, with large disks one should use raidz2 (allow two disks to crash) or raidz3 (allow three disks to crash).
So maybe something like a RocketRAID 2720 is the way to go, in RAID-5.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I would go with the upcoming PC-Q25, it looks perfect for a 4 (or 6 or 8) drive NAS.
85g.jpg

Space for 5 (hotswappable) drives in the cage and 3 more on the tray at the bottom. I have no need for a optical drive in it so this new case is tempting me quite badly.
85f.jpg

Quite a looker as well. :)

Put a Mini-ITX board in there with an Intel i5 or something with 8gb RAM, hook it up to the network and to my telly via HDMI and I have myself a NAS and a tasty little media server to boot.

Kin hell, nice. Do want! :<

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
There's always a risk with ZFS or any of these systems cal. Heck you could have an identical copy and still suffer loss.

I'm using ZFS on FreeNAS because it's solid and I trust FreeBSD more than I do windows to not fuck up my drives. Like I said though at the moment the system is being used for torrents and the disks are virtually silent.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
True, true. If a disk in a ZFS pool dies do you lose everything or just what was on that disk? I kinda like the idea of the parity offered by RAID 5/z. It's not because the data is particularly valuable, there will just be a lot of it and it would be a reet pain to source again.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Mine is Raid Z. As I understand it you can lose one disk and it'll restore itself. Loose more than one and you're fucked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom