Hurricane Irma

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I went to school with a Haycock...or strawballs as we called him.

Cockburn is reasonable. (Its actually pronounced "Coburn")

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It's almost as though good scientists continually challenge the work of others, using observation and testing. How unreliable, perhaps we should have scientists make random observations based on no knowledge at all and have the judiciary put those who disagree in prison. We could call it "religion" or something.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Aye, its a good thing we don't put all out eggs in one basket though.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Well models that need updating cobstantly after failing to correctky predict are not exa tly useful...in fact they ate no better than guesses.
No..better..than..guessing.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
It's almost as though good scientists continually challenge the work of others, using observation and testing. How unreliable, perhaps we should have scientists make random observations based on no knowledge at all and have the judiciary put those who disagree in prison. We could call it "religion" or something.

Quite ironic given some of the calls recently to put Climate Sceptics in prison.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's the new religion, don't you know?

Job

Science is settled..models are correc...oh hang on.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Proper science is never settled.

Job

Nope..not moving on this one, they have just casually revealed they have very little certainty on models they use to convince governments to spend trillions on co2 reduction measures...measures that can hold back a progress that pulls people out of poverty and saves lives.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
How does pollution (the only thing I really care about tbh) pull people out of poverty, exactly?

If anything rebooting our entire power production would generate a huge amount of jobs, unfortunately that comes at a cost, obviously. A cost that ought to be levelled at those that have made trillions out of power generation, but won't, it will go on the eleci bill.

Removing fuel emissions would make cities habitable again, just so long as electric cars aren't as dull as they are now...they will be made better and not quite so milk float like, I imagine, the market demands it.

Job

Are you seriously saying that fossil energy hasnt been and still is the backbone of the modern world...except for France, who seems to be lacking in hippy hand wringers and actually built a superb nuclear infrastructure.
Cities are habitable..better than ever, the pollution is minimal, it's just the old ..so many deaths guesstimation that are unprovable in the real world.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, some years they run out of letters and have to start again, but of course once world attention concentrated on anything that is connected to a larger story, then they dissect it, over hype it and it ends up a bigger story itself.
Which years? Not seen it yet.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Ignoring all the other crap in this thread and being purely selfish i was pretty relieved when everything missed the place we go every year in the Dom Rep.

Bodhi

As there is another identical storm on the other side of the world (Khanun), I would suggest probably not. That big ball of fire in the sky is particularly active right now, I'd suggest that's your culprit.

I'm sure paying more tax will make it go away though.

Job

I live on tbe NW coast..its lovely and warm with a slight breeze.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So Hurricane Ophelia is heading our way, will weaken to a storm but as the world warms are we going to see a lot more of this?

Powerful Hurricane Ophelia heads toward Ireland - CNN

View attachment 37733

Ireland has shut for the day. Every school in the country has closed, no buses or public transport in general, all public sector appointments cancelled. Our local supermarket has shut.

At the moment it's a bit blowy. It looks like the west of Ireland might be affected, but on this side of the country I'm going to with "massive overkill". I think if we're going see more of this kind of thing in future we're going to have to come up with better solutions than closing the whole country down.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ireland has shut for the day. Every school in the country has closed, no buses or public transport in general, all public sector appointments cancelled. Our local supermarket has shut.

At the moment it's a bit blowy. It looks like the west of Ireland might be affected, but on this side of the country I'm going to with "massive overkill". I think if we're going see more of this kind of thing in future we're going to have to come up with better solutions than closing the whole country down.
Like ignoring it and seeing what happens.

This is the sort of shit that happens when you start naming the wind.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The trouble is, someone's fence might get blown over AND THAT IS REALLY SERIOUS.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The trouble is, someone's fence might get blown over AND THAT IS REALLY SERIOUS.
People do get hurt by high winds and proper warnings can help with that. I object to the naming only - not the warning - because naming it makes people over-react rather than react in the correct manner.

Edit: Just checked to see what, if any, damage had been caused so far. One woman dead :( - tree>car interaction. I've linked the guardian rather than the beeb just 'cause you love it so ;)

Bodhi

I think it's passed Stafford already - got a bit blustery earlier and the sun has been deep red all day, calm again now though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think it's passed Stafford already - got a bit blustery earlier and the sun has been deep red all day, calm again now though.
Beginning to get windy here. The air's getting sucked through my house nicely and the fans on my mining rig have dropped 20% of their speed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom