Hurricane Irma

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There was some stupid cunt moaning on the news about there not being money set aside for travel problems, emergencies etc.

Kind of like travel insurance then.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I'll be sure to lock the gate, don't want it banging in the wind.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Dramatisation!

Our storm was serious business, it knocked the bin over.

I am glad nobody is becoming blase about every bit of wind becoming a named storm so that when the real deal hits, nobody gives a fuck.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Dramatisation!

Our storm was serious business, it knocked the bin over.

I am glad nobody is becoming blase about every bit of wind becoming a named storm so that when the real deal hits, nobody gives a fuck.

But then, how will the Daily Express justify headlines like 'WORST WINTER FOR DECADES'?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Another one gathering strength apparently in the same region - Hurricane Maria.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yeah, some years they run out of letters and have to start again, but of course once world attention concentrated on anything that is connected to a larger story, then they dissect it, over hype it and it ends up a bigger story itself.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
It's not global warming that's for sure... it doesn't exist according to Donald Trump.

Seeing as there doesn't appear to be a trend in either Hurricane frequency or strength over the last 100 years, I'd agree with you there.

Number of people being killed by them is going down however. So it's something.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Seeing as there doesn't appear to be a trend in either Hurricane frequency or strength over the last 100 years
Interesting that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Hurricane Centre disagrees with you.

Their evidence shows the frequency of named storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes on a clear (and marked) upward trend from 1850>2015.
Atlantic_Storm_Count.jpg
Evidence (from reputable sources) is a bitch, eh @Bodhi :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well ofc there is an upward trend in "named storms" since 1850, we didn't have such good methods of detection and monitoring in 1850, they weren't named.

Number of pirates vs global warming.jpeg

Anyway, by the way that they spike every 10 years, one could almost get them to fit the solar activity cycle theory, "just sayin"

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Total education fail. Total.

The data is very very clear. Back to school for you.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Are you educated in the field to make that statement Scouse, more precisely connect the dots between something and what's causing it. I mean, there are endless factors to take into consideration here.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, ofc he isn't.

He is now upset about an observation that they work in 10 year cycles.

Or that in 1850 radar wasn't a thing.

One of the two, hard to tell.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Are you educated in the field to make that statement Scouse
Yes. My degree is in that field.
more precisely connect the dots between something and what's causing it. I mean, there are endless factors to take into consideration here.
No - I answered exactly this:
Bodhi said:
Seeing as there doesn't appear to be a trend in either Hurricane frequency or strength over the last 100 years
With a dataset that shows there is a clear and obvious upward trend in hurricane frequency and strength since 1850.

I've not implied anything else. I've used actual real data to prove that statement incorrect. Period.

I will now be ignoring anything else said on this topic unless and until someone brings an equivalent dataset that shows differently. But that'd be pretty amazing - as the NOAA is the authoritative source of information on this subject.

Anything else said without said data is pointless bluster, whining and waffle.

Job

Looks like a downward trend from 2005 to me.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
um..

The main graph on that page, that shows frequency and strength, quite clearly shows that it has changed by a tiny amount in the last 165 years. It also shows that there is a rough 8-10 year cycle (caused by something) and a large spike every 50 years.

The graph itself is actually distorted because it starts just after a presumed, 50 year spike.

Not only that but as already mentioned, detection and tracking methods have come a very, very long way since 1850, so is this actual recorded or recorded (Corrected by assumption) data? (It doesn't say)

With no references or methods its pretty much useless data. The data table link for the graph just links back to some Excel table.

I am not sure why there is a jump in the last 15 years (although actually, small) but it seems strange that there would be a sudden jump that doesn't correlate to anything else...maybe down to the recent reclassifications? 1970s and 2000s?

But besides all that, I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of US gov climate data, to be honest.

I realise it is simple physics that the warmer the water, the bigger the storm, although I fail to see how a couple of degrees (annual average) make any difference at all. The data on that page just doesn't stand up to scrutiny, not without backup.

Also, random question. Why, if you have a degree in climate science, or meteorology, or whatever, do you work for banks?

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
lol, that was quick :)

Its an angry pyjamas day today I see.

But, instead of frothing at the mouth and getting yourself all upset, why not answer the questions raised?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
lol :)

Edit: Wow. I facepalm you after 6 minutes, and write "lol" as a reply- but before I can hit submit you've already responded! Wowzers! Refresh much?

Tip: Don't try science. Your failure to even get an F in woodwork makes you woefully underequipped.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Ah right, so in short, you googled something you have zero understanding of, posted a link and cannot explain the data therein.

Not a problem :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nah its Ok. I asked him a couple of questions that he can't answer, he's gone now.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Interesting that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Hurricane Centre disagrees with you.

Their evidence shows the frequency of named storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes on a clear (and marked) upward trend from 1850>2015.
Atlantic_Storm_Count.jpg
Evidence (from reputable sources) is a bitch, eh @Bodhi :)

Lol. So, in your scientific opinion, it is perfectly OK to splice together two datasets, using two entirely different measuring methodologies (ships captains vs satellites), with hugely different accuracies and detect a trend from that?

Sorry which ex Polytechnic did you get your degree from again? As it's pretty obvious for anyone to see you aren't comparing apples to apples there, rendering much of the data fairly meaningless.

Yet if you look at the point that probably can be relied on (70s onwards), then it's clear there is no real trend. Probably why NOAA are struggling to link hurricanes and Manbearpig.

Pretty hard to deny that the number of deaths from hurricanes has gone down however - thanks to Fossil Fuels, mostly. That must really stick in the craw.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Unable to provide an alternative authoritative dataset I will resort to personal insult and disparagment of the primary datasource of this information, in the time honoured tradition of the wrong

On your separate point - I'm glad that deaths from hurricanes are going down tho (have you a source?). That's testament to humans increasingly understanding what dangers occur during hurricanes and them mitigating those risks. I'd be interested to know how fossil fuels (which may be responsible for the large increase in major hurricanes since the 1850s) are directly responsible for this though. Have you a source for that too, or should we continue to take everything you say at face value?

Job

This thread is cyclonephobic, I'm not even going to mention Typhoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom