How many of you are glad you left DAOC?

E

envenom

I am just looking at the forums now and the game is slowly but surely turning into a pile of crap.

and i sure wont be getting the new rip off expansion

P

[PS]Nova

Me for one.

I could never get any characters leveled (highest was 42) and could never find decent groups. Ended up in a guild of just myself because of idiots (my choice, I mean) and although I tried crafting, and got a reasonable spread of crafters, it did my head in.

PS is much more fun, I can actually do some good (some of the time) and it's not nearly as frustrating most of the time, although sometimes I have problems not throwing my computer out of the window, most of the time I manage :p

S

Sneaks

Ive been looking for a new Online game for ages to replace DAoC and this looks like it could be the one! Camelot is really boring me now and I cant play for any longer than 30 mins usually without getting totally bored and I end up played Americas Army Operations.

F

Faeldawn

Well..

I was a 50 ranger when solo-sniper was a valid template, then they nerfed me into oblivion :(

B

BrassMonkey

Me, i was very very bored with it and the attitudes of some of the players/guilds in it. I was fortunate enough to be guilded with some fantastic, friendly and all round nice people.....who are also mental btw.

I might go back at some stage purely to say hi to the guild mates, but without them in it i wouldn't look back after leaving DAOC.

Planetside is trying to steal my summer hols away...unfortunately i might have to give it up in september/october as i start my 3rd year of uni....and it's a big one so really want to work hard on it.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

I love the way you can just get straight into the action. It was always frustrating that you needed a two-hour plus time slot to get anything done.

It's fun, and I can see myself playing it casually for quite a while.

P

[PS]Nova

Good thing about PS is you don't have to play it for hours and hours and hours to have fun. If you have uni again, maybe say you'll play it for 2 hours at weekends or something, you'll still be able to have fun in that time. :p

(like he said above, that's what I mean)

A

aonn_elfclomper

i have played DaoC sens beta so i got kinda bored of exping and the end game RvR Emain/Odins what a joke ... im not gonna quit DaoC yet but i will if the RvR addon dosent make the end game more fun and rewarding

P

[PS]Nova

PS, while it doesn't really have an end-game at the moment, is far more rewarding in the short term, I think.

S

SilverHood

will be playing SWG anyway, maybe WoW or Horizons, depending on how those games turn out

think I'm gonna be a lecher in SWG

S

SilverHood

can see myself standing in a cantina making lewd comments at the pole dancers

P

[PS]Venom

Originally posted by [PS]Angel
A lecher?

Ooooook. :p

You mean you're going to go around watching fit wookies and jawas walk past? :uhoh:

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by [PS]Venom
You mean you're going to go around watching fit wookies and jawas walk past? :uhoh:

How could you tell if a wookie is fit? You'd have to wade through 3 miles of hair first...

P

[PS]Venom

Originally posted by [PS]Angel
How could you tell if a wookie is fit? You'd have to wade through 3 miles of hair first...

*shudder*

Anyway, back on topic.. I am kinda glad I don't play daoc anymore, the buffbot monkeys and powergaming equipment was getting rediculous. I only play for large raids these days.

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by [PS]Venom

*shudder*

Anyway, back on topic.. I am kinda glad I don't play daoc anymore, the buffbot monkeys and powergaming equipment was getting rediculous. I only play for large raids these days.

ie. when he thinks he might have a chance at a nice drop... :p

G

Gekul

Thing I hate about DaoC is the amount of time before you can actually start playing what they sell it for. Getting to 50 is sooo boring. And what happens when I want a change of pace? If I want to play a different class. 50 again? lol.

I took about 10 classes to 24 for the battlegrounds, and had loads of fun with almost all of them. The trouble is, getting to 24 is boring, and you don't get much time there. Getting to 50 is mind numbing.

In PS I haven't had as much time to play on it as I'd like tbh, but I have a BR8 sniper, BR4 engineer/lightning cert. These are both low, but they're viable, fun and I can change the play style without any waiting.

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by Gekul
In PS I haven't had as much time to play on it as I'd like tbh, but I have a BR8 sniper, BR4 engineer/lightning cert. These are both low, but they're viable, fun and I can change the play style without any waiting.

Exactly. Pick up and play, and variation as well. :p

C

CliffyG

Had a 50 friar, don't any more and don't regret it at all :).

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by Cronn
Everyone is glad they left DAoC.

That's not strictly true, there are a lot of people still playing/enjoying daoc :)

Just some of us had enough :)

T

Tenko

tbh I' am glad I left DAoC, because you can actually turn this game on and play.

As it exists I dont see more than 6 months game play in it but it can and will be changed by the devs so maybe it will last longer.

But that negative point kind of misses the point that the fun part of the game is available from day one something that is not true about any mmorpg.

B

BlitheringIdiot

DAoC was a good game and you must have all liked it to have played it for so long but all games have a lifespan before they get boring and DAoC has certainly reach its.

However I see PS as a holiday from rpgs. I cant see it have much of a lifespan in comparison to MMORPG's and as soon as I see what happens with DE, Horizons and WoW (SWG will have the worst community. Ever.) I will be heading back to the 'real' games.

S

SilverHood

already getting slightly bored of PS :)

Just hate the fact that this game could be so much more, ie what it was in beta, and the devs shafted us.

Now its all about xp xp xp xp xp xp xp

In beta, we fought huge battles simply because it was fun

Not had a fun fight in a few days now :/

P

[PS]Nova

:(

The exp rewards are a bit poo compared to beta, that's for sure. But I still enjoy fights that aren't about exp, it's why I'm not too high BR yet.

I hope things can get better for you, Silver, we'd hate to lose you.

S

SilverHood

i'll be here til SWG/WoW comes out, don't fear ;)

T

Teh Krypt

This owns daoc :p. Tho it does lack the content daoc first did, so it wont last as long

O

Old_Bean

It's nice to just be able to play for an hour and have fun.
Where as in DAOC you'd have to play for 6 hours to just start ot have fun, and then you'd get bored after 7 hours, and then the wife would be wanting you, and then it would be getting dark outside and then you'd realised you hadn't eaten in 12 hours, and then you'd need to be at work in 30 minutes.

So in a sentence.

I like Planetside because it is instant, accessible fun.

F

fyraie

Same here, the pick up and go factor is great :)
Had a 50 scout, pretty much solo levelled, and no bot for rvr, *shudder* that was not fun. I think I only made it to 50 out of bloody-mindedness.
And like someone said, try another char - not till they are 45+!
I had a few other 35+s that I mainly made with friends wanting to try something new also, then we played them until it got boring - and even though they are fun chars, they are effectively useless.

Although I think we are all aware this is most likely to have a far shorter lifespan, it's so much fun :)

Not sure about content....where would you put it? This doesn't have a roleplay 'slot' to put storyline into, it's just a FPS that keeps track of what colour each facility is, and how mindblowingly uber your ickle soldier is.

P

[PS]Nova

Bear in mind, the content may well get added over time. It's good fun at the moment, and if they do add more rewards for capping continents/bases and stuff and Sanctuary strikes and stuff, there'll be more point.

I think I'll still enjoy it, if only for the "OMG I actually managed to kill someone!" factor that still amazes me :p

Users who are viewing this thread