daoc 1.62 patch are you tempted to play?

M

mid_Efour

checked my email and my Daoc sub was renewed, DEEP joy i thought it was dead but no its 3 months more im paying for.

thinking of going back to daoc to try my now FoTM hunter and savage out again :)

but then again daoc is shite...

discuss

W

Will

He's right, we aren't all DAoC players. Probably get more interest in there.;)

M

madmurdoch

Does the patch encourage grouping and discourage PLing/buffbots?

Naah - didn't think so, so the answer's no.

Anyway, my gf would break my fingers if I went back to putting huge chunks of my time into DAOC. At least PS is a bit more casual.

C

.Cask

I played for a while and I don't regret selling my account one bit. Have a good few fond memories but they're watered down by hours of sitting in keeps being bored.

Getting really nasty EQ withdrawals lately though. I'm still kicking myself for selling my account (got less for it than my DAoC account) and wasted a chance of getting it back. I sold it to this guy over a year ago and was messing around one day and realised he hadn't changed the account email address. Managed to retrieve the password, logged in and he had hardly played the char at all. I left my warrior at level 60 with 4 AA points and all he'd managed to do is get 2 more AA points. But my conscience started giving me sleepless nights and I returned the account to him.

Got a level 48 mage now but it's hard doing the level grind with no one to talk to. Need level 60 to get back in my old guild but I don't think I'm gonna make it. Requires such a huge time commitment that I dunno how I managed to get to 60 before. During holidays and weekends I used to wake up, play EQ solidly occasionally breaking to make food, then go to bed and repeat. Can't sit still for more than a couple hours now before my whole body starts to itch :/

SWG is good at the moment. Playing an hour or two an evening with a friend and having some decent fun. Hard to overdose on it due to work and stuff. Still isn't EQ tho :(

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

No. I realized after 1.5 years of playing DAoC how shite and unbalanced it really is, especially compared to SW:G.

And reading the retarded DAoC forums with its legions of lobotomized spambots is an even bigger turn-off.

so... NO WAY, JOSÈ.

:p

T

Turamber

I'm going to give it a try -- at the very least to use /level and try out a few alts on other servers. All casters of course, because without any cash tanks will have crappy equipment :eek:

R

Rigon-Noir-

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)
No. I realized after 1.5 years of playing DAoC how shite and unbalanced it really is.

So very true, i played the same length of time and have constantly watched the goal posts move to favour only the hardcore player and leave no enjoyment for anyone who wants to casually play.

I spent a long time on my char, i didn't rush to 50 but i played a lot and when i got there it was too late, i needed to have SC stuff to have fun in RVR. When i logged on last ina sc suit and called in emain i had the same probs, got hit for lots and missed a lot, talked to a guild mate who said you need to get your RA's up now, bollox to that, its just work, no fun for me.

As Korvarn/Silverhood once said, in PS you all start with 100 hp's whatever battle rank you are, the bullets do the same damage to you as they do to anyone else they hit.

Far more balanced, far more fun.

P

[PS]Nova

Originally posted by Turamber
I'm going to give it a try -- at the very least to use /level and try out a few alts on other servers. All casters of course, because without any cash tanks will have crappy equipment :eek:

Isn't /level supposed to have some NPC you can go to to get basic equipment of that level and a set amount of cash? Or is this something that was discussed ages ago and never got implemented - I haven't played or looked at anything remotely concerning daoc except this thread for about 6 months now :p

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Play SW:G instead... it is so much more rewarding.

F

Faeldawn

Once you have got a few lvl 50's, done all the missions, raided all the dungeons, crafted a bit (crap crafting system, horrificaly designed to make you sit there for hours just to make 1 pair of shoes, no thx :)) etc and RvR'd till yer blue in the face the game lost its appeal (for me anyway).

Only thing i miss about DAoC is my guildmates, last few months i played was simply to chat with them. 1.62 isnt enough for me to resub, but i am always tempted to see my guildies again :)

If i get tired of SWG i may give it a try, but am lovin SWG too much atm :)

T

The_Sheriff

NO! NEVER! YOU'LL NEVER MAKE ME GO BACK! NEVER YOU HEAR! NEVERRRR!
BWAHHAHAHAHA!
NO MORE NO MORE! STOP THE GRIND PLEASE STOP THE GRIND!
WON'T SOMEBODY HELP ME! PLEASE?

J

Jonaldo

And reading the retarded DAoC forums with its legions of lobotomized spambots is an even bigger turn-off.

:(

M

MoratJG

What Sick said.

tbh even the thought of going back turns my stomach.

Thank god for PS :)

M

mid_Efour

hehehe :)

but how can SWG be anymore "rewarding" than daoc, dont get me wrong i love starwars but, ive heard nothing but bad news about SWG.

O

old.SOSAGES

games should be easier to get into daoc is only good if ur 14 and on ur summer hols =)

G

Gabrial

SWG has me tempted but the shoddy state of werner puts me off tbh - can anyone convince me otherwise?

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

SW:G is great - especially for the casual player.

The learning curve is quite steep and hey - like I said, thanks to the great skill system - if you don't log in for awhile, you don't have to be afraid that your buddies have levelled away and you have no one to group/have fun with.

And the emotes are just plain great.
My chubby little Rodian loves to dance like a fairy queen. :D

Crafting is w00tage - you actually have to go and hunt for your materials etc.

Quests are fun, the combat system makes sense etc.

So all in all:
SW:G >>>> DAoC

All it lacks is a dedicated rping server - the game offers amazing opportunities to rp (tailoring different clothes, the fantastic customization possibilities of your char's looks, the background etc.).

SW:G >>>>>>> DAoC

Definitely.

P

[PS]Venom

Stop it sick, you're tempting me to get a copy of this damned game. :(

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Well... it's great. *luring voice etc.* ;)

E

Esoteric

Theres a supposed release of swg euro in sept by then they'll have even more bugs ironed out :).

I am tempted yes to have another crack at daoc, but I levelled three chars to 50 one to 47 and countless alts plus I took my sorc to rr6.

I feel I have done and seen pretty much what there is to do in daoc and the old community I once knew has gone. The developers don't update the game regularly enough to keep me interested in the game the only draws are an addiction I had for two years and nostalgia. RvR hasn't fundamentally changed since beta, patches are too few and far between and the new community are about buffbots, pl's or who can level the fastest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a couple of people having a bb or pling we had them in the past but now its the only way people seem to level and mr.joe blogg looking for a group to have an adventure with is left standing with a small tear swelling in his left eye.

I am waiting for wow/swg(euro)/ and darkfire (looks ok). Christmas is the time when we will know whats about and roughly whats good to get into even then I will prob run PS alongside any rpg I play.

F

Faeldawn

SW:G is great - especially for the casual player.

In a nutshell, well done Sicko :)

P

[PS]Venom

Well the missus has said no on SW:G so that's that :)

WoW is the next one I really want to play to be honest.

J

Jupitus

Alot of stuff in here I agree with, especially Tidus' comments about how DAOC screwed the casual player with realm abilities etc. You get to 50 and then suddenley the goal posts move. That sucked big time. The problem is they see the ones who level 50s like there is no tomorrow as their hardcore players.... sure they spend more time playing, but the slow steady ones would probably outlast them when the next fotm game comes along. IMHO, as they say on the BW boards ;)

Sicko - stop promoting SWG... you're supposed to be staying put for now ;) <Slaps Unc>

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by Jupitus

Sicko - stop promoting SWG... you're supposed to be staying put for now ;) <Slaps Unc>

But... but... it's fun... *lip quivering* ;)

F

Faeldawn

But... but... it's fun... *lip quivering* ;)

Get a hold of yourself man!!!! <slaps sick-note>

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Jupitus has some unholy power over meh. *sniffle, sniffle*

Users who are viewing this thread