happy happy new phone time...maybe!

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Not abandonning my HTC One just yet, but when I do it will likely be the Samsung note in some form, unless as Lamp says, HTC come up with a propper camera option.

The camera is fine on my htc one m8, still don't get why people slate the camera.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
The camera is fine on my htc one m8, still don't get why people slate the camera.

I don't have any issues as long as there is sufficient lighting, but as soon as I try usuing it with low light conditions it's horrific!
Grainish purple-hazy images with bad resolution...I've tried lowring the ISO, and all the various filters and settings. I've tried basicly everything...it doesnt really make much of a difference..

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Cameras on phones will always be crap in low light. The manufacturers can try to tart the output up with post processing trickery and use marketing spiel but until the sizes of the sensors increases they will stay crap in low light.

The sensor in the HTC One M8 is only 1/3" (~17mm²), which is off the bottom of this graphic:
Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_2014.png

Every now and then a manufacturer will release a phone with a bigger sensor in (that 41MP Nokia from a couple of years ago springs to mind) but the majority of phones have teensy little sensors.

Last edited:

soze

I am a FH squatter
I never said Androids were poor, I said they all have piss poor customer services and shitty return procedures and in that area Apple are leagues ahead.

And what I said may have been badly worded but I maintain the only phones I have ever had that ground to a halt were Androids (probably my fault) and I have had a lot of them and currently have a One M8 in my draw in work on divert to my iPhone. Not because it is a bad device but I do not want to carry two and I like the iPhone more. And I do not care what the reason is for Android needing 4 or 8 cores to run smoothly. But when you hold up the two devices for comparison and call the iPhone outdated because it does not have an 8 core processor that it doesn't need that is stupid. When comparing them the performance should mean more than the spec, can you run apps quickly can you play games and how quickly can you switch between them.

And again I am not trying to convert anyone. The iPhone OS is fantastic FOR ME it does what I want really easily and really quickly. Android offers me nothing that I need on a Phone to make me want to switch. Again this is just me.

And the Apple Tax is a fair point but as I have said before I have sold my Apple devices at a much higher percent of cost than my old Androids. And the last Android I bought myself I had to throw away as I could not even sell it after it went back to HTC 3 times.

All of that being said I do not think Apples are perfect far from it. 1GB of ram in phones and tablets is pathetic and should be increased. Unlike the processor the phones do run out of ram and with the new features of iOS8 they really needed to increase this. All the apps being "sandboxed" was / is a pain in the Arse the fact that some Apps can't even interact with contacts is stupid. Also NFC why the fuck not include it. I know there is not a lot out there using it now but I bet there will be within the year and I still don't get it for another year.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The old Nokia 3410 battery life was brilliant. Easily a week out of it. And as a pure phone you got better call quality, clarity & reception than any smartphone today. Today's smartphones are toys.

Still my favourite old phone is this one

75601.jpg

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I still have some old Nokia's lying around, I struggle to remember the names of them though. My favourite was the rubber one, I still have the orange one. My second favourite was the business one that was quite big but it was always used in car hands free systems, I have about 3 of those lying around. I always wanted one of the chrome little ones but they were a fortune at the time :(

Trem

6310 that's the one, the business one.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've dug out my old 7110 recently, bloody brilliant phone at the time. Battery life still showed the latest smartphones a thing or two, but reception and call quality were no better, if not slightly worse than my Xperia. Not having HD Voice was the biggest contributor to this imo.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I have 2 7110s, the slidey bit has gone a bit pathetic on both of them but omg I remember being impressed with that lovely big screen and that wheel/button in the middle.

Trem

Oh god aye, they were awesome! They were incorrectly called the Matrix phone weren't they?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yes because they had a very rough prototype of it in The Matrix but it actually didn't look anything like the 7110 as I recall.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
My 1st phone was a Nokia 101 which was analogue, then Vodafone offered me the first digital Nokia, but I cant remember its name for the life of me, but the difference between the 2 was amazing

Saying that I think it was 6110, but looking at pics of one, thats not it

Im sure I have it still somewhere, i'll try and dig it out

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Apple's onto a real winner here. Selling devices without expandable storage and then putting out a 5+GB iOS update. The week after they took up more space with an album that nobody wanted.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Yes because they had a very rough prototype of it in The Matrix but it actually didn't look anything like the 7110 as I recall.

The phone in the Matrix was actually the 8110 Banana Phone, with the awesome slidey bit added in afterwards.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I had an 8110 for a while, the battery lasted something like two days and I thought "holy shit, this needs charged every few days, how shite".

Oh those were actually the good old days of battery life!

Embattle

FH is my second home
Ah yes Graphene a UK failure.

Android L preview seems quite nice,

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I really think all of you slagging off iPhone users are a little short sighted. My iphone 4 still functions well despite the fact that it has been down the toilet.... I'm finally replacing it with an iPhone 6 which will be a great phone.

With reference to the stigma some of you attribute to iPhone owners, in the circles I work in most of the professionals are forced to have Samsung as the iPhone is too expensive, but they all have iPhones as personal phones...

Up until this month the company I work for not small c.190k employees have finally converted from blackberry for email to iOS or android so now I no longer need to carry round 3 phones. I used a blackberry, a Sony E, followed by a Samsung) and my trusty iPhone 4.... I can tell you that both android phones I've used in the last 3 years were fucking awful, and the blackberry served a purpose. Now I will have two iPhones ( because I am senior enough to have one \o/), the ease of use and app quality mean that in my incredibly busy working / personal life I don't need to worry whether my phone is going to do what I need it to do or not. Interestingly sales guys in our company have Samsung phones and iPads so that company apps can be demonstrated using both...

We can all sit here and debate all day about the benefits of A vs I but the choice is personal, no one here will be able to use their super powers of persuasion or childish mudslinging to change a personal purchasing decision :)

Interestingly Callous you should be aware that the U2 album only ended up in purchased area of iTunes and not on any of my devices.... Not sure what others were doing incorrectly :)

Last edited:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Awwrite guys, I've gone and handled the LG, and frankly its a bit too big for my smooth, boyish, hands. thus I have opted for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, and am pleased as anything. It should arrive tomorrow :D

Trem

Actually despite my facepalm, I have just read a review and they sound really impressive for a *mini* which to me normally means *shitty*

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My wife is getting the Z3 and I think I will be when my contract is up. She has had every Iphone since the original but wants an actual upgrade rather than virtually like for like (5S to 6) Dodgy updates and shit build quality aren't exactly winning her over either.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Actually despite my facepalm, I have just read a review and they sound really impressive for a *mini* which to me normally means *shitty*

it's got all the gubbins the big phones have except pixels, which is cool because I don't watch films or things on the phone anyway, and I use the internets minimally, browserwise. I did a side-by-side compare to the HTC M8 and the LG G3 and chose this one. Go figure :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Heres a reason I enjoy my Oneplus One.
( Max brightness, 1 min screen timeout )

WtPfcVo.png

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I... I... Be right handed and hold it with your left hand. :)
That's leftist. Grrrr. Hate having to compensate for the roghtist world we live in all the time. I have to use a righty mouse and righty scissors and righty veggie peelers. Grrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom