Game of Thrones season 6

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I'll give it a go.

Hodor’s death was several things.

The capstone and big reveal of a long debated mystery.

The catalyst for an important part of the story yet to be told.

The confirmation that the darkness threatening the wold is all consuming.

For all these years we have been presented with a character who’s only speaking word, was his name. Why include such a character in the show?

The implication there, is that this character is IMPORTANT in some way. And for years, we have been wondering that that importance could be. Along the way.. we learn that Hodor is most probably the most innocent character in the show.

Free of malice, free of agenda, free of ambition… he is just “Hodor” the lovable giant, who just wants to help people and live his live in peace.

In the course of that scene… we finally get to know what that importance is. And at the same time… we see that life isn’t fair. The kindest most pure character on the show is torn to pieces by the darkness that threatens to consume the world. Of all the characters in ASOIAF… Hodor was the LEAST deserving of death… much less THAT particular death. But it comes to him anyway. It’s even more heart-breakingly poignant to note that that he gave his life trying to save the boy who MADE HIM.

Which brings me on to the most important reveal of this scene. And the reason Hodor as a character existed at all. We learn concretely as viewers that Bran can AFFECT THE PAST.

Mark my words.. this fact is the single biggest reveal in the show / book so far. It is going to be MASSIVLY important down the line, I guarantee it. And it was Hodor in all is majestic tragedy that delivered that reveal and made that foreshadowing possible.

Finally.. the quality of acting in that scene from all involved was magnificent. It was so well done, I don’t mind admitting I bawled my eyes out.

That’s why we are all fawning over it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Actually, we learned that the past has already happened and you cannot change it, same with the future. For Hodor to be Hodor, Bran must have spoken to Hodor (or warg'ed him, whatever) it was already going to happen when he fell from tower.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Yes... But it happened because Bran can affect the past.

It's a closed loop.

Bran isnt going to change the past... Bran is the REASON the past is the way it is.

This fact is going to apply to a LOT of the history of the world.

The mad King hearing voices.
The wall being built.
The founding of house stark in the north.
Bran the builder.

I am willing to bet money that the past history of the world as we know it was engineered by bran using his ability to warg in time, to ensure a situation in which the white walkers can finally be beaten in the future.

Anyone wanna take the bet?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Christ we'll be at season 20 by the time all of that has happened.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have to admit I did roll my eyes a bit at the Hold the Door part. To me it did not really add anything it just served as a "Look how smart I am" moment, because he had planned it all along.

That being said I do like it when a show is built with multiple layers and when a big puzzle does come together. But with this show there is the feeling that you can't trust that any parts of the wider story will be respected because the fucker kills everyone eventually.

And also if Bran has this ability why not use to to save his Dad stop his brother being murdered or generally stop all the shit that has gone down. Mentally disabling a giant does not lead me to think he has a massive impact on the wider world, not without just ignoring all the shit he has let happen.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
And also if Bran has this ability why not use to to save his Dad stop his brother being murdered or generally stop all the shit that has gone down. Mentally disabling a giant does not lead me to think he has a massive impact on the wider world, not without just ignoring all the shit he has let happen.

Well I got the impression when I watched the scene that Bran didn't intentionally cause this to happen. He was observing the past and young Hodor heard the shouts from the future and that was what caused him to have the fit.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
why didn't he save his Dad or stop his brother being murdered or generally stop all the shit that has gone down. Mentally disabling a giant does not lead me to think he has a massive impact on the wider world, not without just ignoring all the shit he has let happen.

Because he will eventually realise he has the power and responsibility to stop the white walkers... And will also realise that all the bad shit has to happen in order to put the world into the current situation which will lead to a scenario in which the survivors are in a position to finally destroy them.

If his father had not been killed... He would not be who he is now... It had to happen...

If the mad King hadn't threatened to burn everyone Danny would not have three dragons.

Etc etc.

EVERYTHING that has happened had to happen... And bran either let it all happen or even engineered it all to ensure a scenario in which the light can prevail.

I also think bran might be the "voice of the flames" that the red priestesses hear.

Hard choices, life isn't fair, people who don't deserve to die have to die.

You know... The overarching themes of the show...

Like I said... It's a theory based on the foreshadowing we have had and the MASSIVE deal they made of Bran time-warging.

It is so obviously important to the story to have designed such a pivotal scene around it.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Well I got the impression when I watched the scene that Bran didn't intentionally cause this to happen. He was observing the past and young Hodor heard the shouts from the future and that was what caused him to have the fit.

Yup that's what I got as well.

I don't think he intended to break young hodor. But that's not really relevant.

The important aspect of that scene's revelation is that the audience are introduced to The concept that it is possible for bran to warg through time despite previously being told that it is not possible.

Fweddy

FH is my second home

The way I interpreted it Bran heard the shouts from the present telling him to warg into Hodor and without thinking did so while still in the past, connecting to past Hodor and controlling future Hodor through him, breaking his brain in the process.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
The way I interpreted it Bran heard the shouts from the present telling him to warg into Hodor and without thinking did so while still in the past, connecting to past Hodor and controlling future Hodor through him, breaking his brain in the process.

This

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The hold the door situation was merely an indicator of the power which Bran has, they could have just said 'oh BTW bran you can change things in history' (although he's already technically changed them) but killing off a lovable character in return for this Pandoras box opening is pretty big stuff

soze

I am a FH squatter
Or can he only interact with people in the past who are still alive today? He did not wrag Hodor in the past he took control of him in the present where Bran was. He has not controlled anyone in the past yet so they do something he wants in the past has he?

soze

I am a FH squatter
So what did you want? Bran to go to the North and then have an orgy with the white walkers?
Not a spoiler of the books just what I want.
Warg the Dragon and kill the white walkers.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It is what he does when he remote controls someone / something.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm more pissed off by the way that they're killing off all the fucking Stark Direwolves, while i suspect Rikon's Direwolf might be alive still (and it's a rouse to cause a trap) only Ghost is the other notable one thus far - Though i'm sure Arya's also run off wherever she is

Don't click this if you don't like awesome speculation about upcoming episodes:

Seriously, don't click, especiallly if you
like chickens

Fear not, I've heard a hound will be back this season

'Game of Thrones' Star Tells Fans to Get a Life: 'It's Only Tits and Dragons'

soze

I am a FH squatter
Why spoiler it then? :rolleyes:
Because occasionally when discussing why I think x will happen I mention y which happened in the book but not in the show. Some of it just merges in my head.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
So now that Bran is marked by the Night King does this mean that the wall is in danger of coming down as it is magic warded against white walkers right? Also maybe Jon Snow saying to Edd about the wall falling down while he was gone was foreshadowing? Bran goes past the wall nullifying the magic warding making it vulnerable to white walker attack? Maybe I'm over thinking things...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Jeesus people - STOP USING SPOILERS FOR FUCKING SPECULATIONS!

Spoilers are for spoilers. Geddit? People shouldn't have to click on spoilers just to participate in a thread. It totally defeats their purpose - which is to protect you from actual spoilers.

How hard is the concept to grasp??!!!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
This is a MASSIVE SPOILER FROM A LEAKED SOURCE. MAY OR MAY NOT BE MASSIVE SPOILERS.

I MEAN IT, HUDGE SPOILERS
Tommen commits suicide by jumping out of a window
Ramsey kills Rickon as he releases him to Jon at Winterfell, shooting him at the last moment. Jon is a huge pussy and locks Ramsey up instead of killing him.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not even funny any more. It's so simple and people seem to be so dumb.

Maybe you should see a spoiler tag once in a blue moon - the vast majority of stuff here isn't spoilers, so why the tags? It means that if someone posts an actual spoiler then you end up clicking the tag anyway...

Edit: I really want to click on it @ECA - when I shouldn't want to :eek:

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Jeesus people - STOP USING SPOILERS FOR FUCKING SPECULATIONS!

Spoilers are for spoilers. Geddit? People shouldn't have to click on spoilers just to participate in a thread. It totally defeats their purpose - which is to protect you from actual spoilers.

How hard is the concept to grasp??!!!

I put it in a spoiler because it contains my speculation on what could happen in future episodes of this season. Some people might not want to know that's why I put it in a spoiler. If people want to participate they have the choice to click the button. Stop being so anal about it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
utterly misses the point
No. I won't stop being "anal" because I'm obviously correct.

I want to participate in the thread - but I can't properly because the fucking place is littered with "spoiler" tags that might literally be unexploded bombs that could utterly ruin my future enjoyment but instead are littered with speculation or, worse, discussion of stuff that's already happened.

It's really really simple - just discuss stuff openly - unless it's a spoiler. Or I'll just have to fuck off out of the thread again - and thanks very much for that, because I want to discuss GoT - because I enjoy it. And discussing it spoiler-free is part of that enjoyment - made hard because people can't get one really easy thing right...

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
No. I won't stop being "anal" because I'm obviously correct.

I want to participate in the thread - but I can't properly because the fucking place is littered with "spoiler" tags that might literally be unexploded bombs that could utterly ruin my future enjoyment but instead are littered with speculation or, worse, discussion of stuff that's already happened.

It's really really simple - just discuss stuff openly - unless it's a spoiler. Or I'll just have to fuck off out of the thread again - and thanks very much for that, because I want to discuss GoT - because I enjoy it. And discussing it spoiler-free is part of that enjoyment - made hard because people can't get one really easy thing right...

Which is why I put a title in the spoiler button so you know and have the choice to click it, while some people who don't want to know about future speculation can easily avoid it. I've given you the reasons and I can't be arsed having a 'tothori' like argument about it so deal with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom