News For camera nerds only

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I suppose the argument "it's practically melting off my screen" doesn't work until I've calibrated it either :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
How do people end up setting up monitors so badly? I've never calibrated a monitor and while not perfect, what I configure them as is always pretty good.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ting is, this vaio has more or less complete control over the screen (example: right now it's pretty dim). I can change that manually, eg set it brighter, but it's not constant. Have not worked out how to turn that shit off yet (only had it a year, bear with me :))

tbh I hardly ever use the main workstation any more, and that one has a decent screen heh. Praps I should hook the lappy to the big dell screen?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I really like the look of the Canon M. I think the MK2 version will be a lot better though, there's a few shop stoppers on this model.

milou

Part of the furniture
A6c7IKCCEAApaj3.jpg

Second hand lens has arrived. Tried one in Slovenia, and that was that.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I do not need a leet zoom, I do not need a leet zoom... I do not need a leet zoom.

Stop tempting me :(

milou

Part of the furniture
It's in top nick - 700 quid via TalkPhotography. Best UK price: £1k (after £80 Canon cashback), DigitalRev is £869 I think. You do need a tripod ring though if using on a er, well... tripod plus a quick release plate which adds another £180ish.

The 70-200 f/4 can be picked up for about £330ish now (quality copies) and is superb.

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
All L lenses that have the potential to use a tripod ring should come with said tripod ring bundled. It still annoys me massively that Canon want another £120 for the tripod ring for my 100mm f2.8L. Standard extras for L lenses should be tripod ring (if applicable), hood and bag.

milou

Part of the furniture
I agree and they usually do (re: the ring). WEX want £164 for the ring but I find that Bristol Cameras are often much better value (i.e. £115 in this case).

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
All L lenses that have the potential to use a tripod ring should come with said tripod ring bundled. It still annoys me massively that Canon want another £120 for the tripod ring for my 100mm f2.8L. Standard extras for L lenses should be tripod ring (if applicable), hood and bag.

Not tried my non-L version on the tripod yet but I can't see it being enough of an issue to warrant that :D Is the L version bigger or something?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It just makes it much more versatile and useable when mounted on a tripod. With the ring, you can rotate the camera around the lens axis (what was in the middle of the frame in landscape will stay in the middle of the frame in portrait). Without the ring, you have to completely re-compose the shot because you can only control the orientation by messing about with the tripod head.

When I'm doing sports with the 70-200 f2.8L (with included tripod ring), it's so easy. It's on a monopod head on a monopod, with the tripod ring loosened so I can flip it to portrait without so much as a thought.

old.user4556

You mean how Canon deliberately cripple what could be a great product?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/canon-ef-24-70-f4l-is-coming-cr3/

Oh look, they've done it again! Everyone cried for IS so they're doing it..... but at f/4. Then there is the price.

Re the 70-300 L, as soon as that was announced I wanted it - weather sealed, IS, compact and a very usable range.

milou

Part of the furniture
It just makes it much more versatile and useable when mounted on a tripod. With the ring, you can rotate the camera around the lens axis (what was in the middle of the frame in landscape will stay in the middle of the frame in portrait). Without the ring, you have to completely re-compose the shot because you can only control the orientation by messing about with the tripod head.
I agree. That's also the main reason for getting a L bracket for short zooms/primes. Just waiting for this for the ring: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=L84&type=0&eq=L84-001&desc=L84:-For-Canon-EF-70-300mm/f4-5.6L-IS

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Depends how they price it tbh. There's a market for the f4 versions of the 70-200, after all.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an f2.8 IS version and that would be the one to go for (over the f4), the wide max aperture is one of the draws.

old.user4556

I don't see why you'd buy it over a 24-105 f/4 L IS unless it was optically superior (or its cheaper - doubt that, this is Canon).

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Oh dear, even the instructions claim it's a bastard to make :D "Good luck" probably isn't a good sign...

old.user4556

There is a hidden gem that Canon have released in the way of the EF-S 18-135mm IS STM, just look at those resolution figures, even from wide open! (vignetting wide open suffers a touch)

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/776-canon_18135_3556stmis?start=1

It's pretty much as good as the 17-55mm f/2.8 when stopped down but with the added reach at the long end. It can be yours for £386 which I think is a fecking bargain for an ideal "holiday" walk-around lens for a crop camera. Well played Canon.

old.user4556

You know, as opposed to that aging incompatible EF mount Canon kept hanging about to sell you more shit we don't need at eye bleedingly stupid prices.

It would be awesome if someone made a full-frame camera that had a fully compatible mount so that crop lenses could mount on a full-frame sensor.

OH WAIT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom