News For camera nerds only

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Good'a place as any!

Borrowing my sisters camera to get some shots of the village for drawing. It's a Canon EOS 400D.

I really like it and the pictures it produces so thought I might get a 2nd hand one. Is (around) £100 a good price for a used one? Or could I do better? I don't really want to spend a lot of money!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Without looking too far into it, I'd suggest that you could either find a 400D for less than £100 or you could get a better model for £100. The 400D is 6 years old now and a good few generations behind current offerings. On the other hand, £100 might be a fair price for it.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
just bought the Olly 12mm m4/3s Lens, and got the 75mm and a panny 14mm pancake at home to play with...P1260196.jpg

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Is there much difference between the different camera brands at the moment? As I need to replace my trusty 70-300mm lens and my Nikon is getting a bit long in tooth now I'm thinking now would be a good time to consider a change if there's a good reason to. My main interest is wildlife photography so I pretty much only use my 70-300mm and occasionally the 18-55mm kit lens I got with my camera.

So if you were in the market for a camera that works well at high ISOs and a long lens to put on it that doesn't cost the earth what would you go for?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
For high ISOs and fast auto-focus, Canon. IMO. There's little difference though and all depends on how much you're willing to spunk.

For example the 5D3 is much better at high ISO performance than the Nikon D800. Well worth doing some research and asking around people that shoot wildlife more as I'm sure they'll be more informed than I.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Thanks. Yeah I figured there'd probably not be a lot in it but worth checking out. My budget tends to be towards the low end so I have to try and eke out every advantage I can.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Nice. Why were you selling? Not giving up on photography I hope!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
No, just don't think I'll really need it now I have the 24-70 II.

250ish quid or an extra 4mm in reserve? Will use the money more than the lens probably :)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Camera noob requesting camera nerd's help!

I'm backpacking around Asia for 6months+ starting in November so want a camera, however I know next to nothing about cameras and therefore I'm at the mercy of you camera nerds, i'm a noob but i'd still like some quite nice pictures.
Obviously backpacking I don't want anything too cumbersome, big, or expensive as it could easily be lost or stolen. Second hand seems the way to go, and I don't to spend more than £100-150.

I looked at the canon eos 400D mentioned above but unsure due to its size, someone recommended me a panasonic DMC-GF2 but i thought i'd ask here first. Any tips please?

TdC

I'm backpacking around Asia for 6months+

I hate you. Also : get a system camera like mine : Olly OM-D. Get the 12 or 17 mm olly lens. Easy to carry, easy to mess about with, awesome pics.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
My 13 yr old is getting very interested in cameras. So I went and got him a Nikon starter pack for 2700 DHS at a local store doing a Ramadan package deal. Camera, 3 lenses, Flash and a a Case Logic bag:

Nikon 3200D
Nikon Macro lens but can't remember the details
Nikon AF-S 18-55MM VR Lens
Nikon AF-S 55-200mm F/4-5.6G VR
Nikon Flash unit SB 400

He did not put the down in Sri Lanka and managed to fill up 16Gb cards 4 times over :) Now he's back in UK and doing the same there.

Q. Is there anything else I should get that would help - Filter etc?

TdC

tbh I'd say get some cheerful UV filters for the lenses to basically protect tbe front element, which will certainly prolong their lives. if that many shots are being taken, I'd guess that the best way you can help out is with more SD cards, storage infra like a USB3 portable hdd and ofc extra battery packs. other than that, I'd advise letting Mr 13 run with that kit until he hits the limitations and can point out what the benefits of upgrading will be and how much of a gap your wallet needs to cover hehe ;-)

Fast

Part of the furniture
Guys, the gf has bought me a Nikon D3200 for my birthday and a couple of lenses (y) What editing software should I use? something that's beginner friendly. I would like to crop, sharpen etc.

Fast

Part of the furniture
Yer, I had gimp on my works pc. I found it complicated.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The other option is photoshop but that's pretty expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom