News For camera nerds only

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Oh one of the biggest things, they put looping record in, so now you can use them as a real dashcam, without ever having to take the camera out and delete footage/etc.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Gopro announced the hero 3.

120fps@720p,
60fps@1080p
30fps@2.7k
15fps@4k

Built in wifi.

Baaaah, fook yew and your awesome temptations! :(

... as in, I'm going to want one of these and it won't be cheap!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The worst part, the housings from my v1/v2 won't fit the v3 as it has a new form :( I think I'm gonna ebay my v2 with the skeleton housing I have, and then just get a v3 black.

Also something I didn't mention - the flat lens housing is now a default on all v3 models, so the fish eye lens effect is much reduced.
Zomg though, if you have a nice home monitor, or projector setup - you can actually record 1.7k @30fps and make some viewable use out of it ( 45mbit bitrate will make it pretty good quality as well ).
Or just record 1080p at 60fps and it will look sexy as fuck.

old.user4556

I like the compact nature, the 1080p at 60 fps but also the 120 fps mode - as you say the slow mo opportunities are going to be great.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I like the compact nature, the 1080p at 60 fps but also the 120 fps mode - as you say the slow mo opportunities are going to be great.

The funniest part is, sony and jvc just came out with action cams, the niche part of the sony was 120fps@720p, smoked. The JVC is just a JVC gopro, but with a shitty 5m housing vs 60m ( gopro ), 60m ( sony ).

old.user4556

I was eyeballing that Sony for a while, but I knew that GoPro had something up their sleeve.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Gopro did something really nice last week that I missed.

They released protune for the hd hero 2, simply put - it ups the bitrate significantly.
tldr, gopro2 w/ protune gets higher bitrate than gopro 3 white ( gopro 2 w/ wifi built in ).
Same bitrate as the hero3 silver.

The hdhero 2 with protune, now encodes @ 35mbits, instead of 14mbits. - the same as the hero 3 silver.

The only reasons to upgrade from 2>3 are;

Wifi to stream to your phone is somehow important ( you're a pretentious douche basically ).
Slowmotion is important to you ( legit reason as 60fps is what I'd record at preferably - even without slowmo, if your watching at 60fps it just looks better ).
You can record @ 2.7k fps for sick quality, however its 30fps so if you're doing action shots you'd much rather be 1080p@60fps for pure sexiness. I guess if you want to use the gopro to record some douchy film student stuff it's pretty good.
Flat Lens.

I think with the protune update for my hero 2 I'm pretty happy with 1080p@35mbits bitrate, certainly enough not to bother spunking £500 on the upgrade just for flatlens.

I don't understand why anyone would EVER legitimately want to film 4k@15fps, you'd have to have spent a lot of money on a set, and it will look like shit - especially as 45mbits probably makes it look like dogshit anyway.

I guess I'm waiting for the gopro4 before I upgrade.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
lamp!

messing about with the 45mm Olly lens. Taking the camera outside to actually do some work tomorrow!

img_0001_06.jpg

TdC

wellp I took the OM-D outside for the first time today. I must say I am slightly displeased with the vibrancy of the 45mm lens, although that said I have the camera output to it's neutral setting. Also, today was a very grey and overcast day, and this particular picture was taken in the shadow of a building. Still, I'm more "meh" than "yay" tbh. Any pro-tips on perking up the raw for a little more punch?

img_0038.jpg

old.user4556

Enjoying it so far?

Poor light there mate, upload the raw and ill have a stab.

TdC

oh, aye, it's great Big G. The 45mm is a smashing portrait lens for this chip tbh, I had some good ones of a mate and his daughter from today. Also, I was having a ball photographing some deer (you know, perfect shot aligned, then the fecker decides to move lol). Here's the RAW. Cheers in advance for any advices :D

Attachments

• PA210056.zip
    13.5 MB · Views: 2

TdC

riiiiiiight. I installed a different RAW thiny on the shiny laptop, one that can export right to GIMP too. Niceness. I just did this one again without faffing with anything.

rawtherapee_test_1.jpg

I'm about a million points more happy. That's what my memory says the moss' color was, not that odd thing in the other print.

old.user4556

Great lens, I've been tempted to trade up on my 70-200mm for the longer reach, IS and weather sealing.

TdC

100% crop of a mate's daughter at a wee pixie fair last weekend (his gf makes him go, I go as brosupport and for the yummy mummies). This is once more with the OM-D and the 45mm olly lens.100crop.png

old.user4556

riiiiiiight. I installed a different RAW thiny on the shiny laptop, one that can export right to GIMP too. Niceness. I just did this one again without faffing with anything.

View attachment 10652

I'm about a million points more happy. That's what my memory says the moss' color was, not that odd thing in the other print.

Dude what about this:

PA210056.jpg

There's not a lot going on in the shot and there is a lot of distraction round about the image. I cropped it down and made it about the green and the black, the moss and the water with your shallow DoF focussing in on the centre of a square.

TdC

ha, nice one dude, thanks for that. I'm very much a novice at the computerized development side of things and am always pleased to see things like this. I notice you really hammered the black there, and coincidentally a photography mate (he of the concerts) also did that with this image...in fact much more than yourself even.

Are you literally just upping the Blacks / Shadows (or what your program calls it) and tapping the green channel or are you also doing other things? I must warn you: now that I have a program that gives me results that I *like* it's possible I will unleash a flood of questions on you :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Looks like he's played about with levels a bit, fiddle with black and white/shadow highlight, increased contrast and done a bit more on yellow rather than green (yellow and greens in natural things in photography are a lot more tied in than you would expect) saturation/luminance.

All this stuff is much simpler than you may think :)

old.user4556

Contrast push, lifted the blacks (not darker...), corrected the image tint AWAY from green, but lifted the vibrance on the overall image. Most of the image difference comes from the contrast adjust.

TdC

hmm I like it though it's a bit more extreme than what I'm used to. I decided to have a go and see if I could make something similar. Here's the results of that experiment. Off to bed now though hehe!

PA210056-1.jpg

old.user4556

Dunno about those colours dude, is your monitor calibrated?

TdC

yeah I know. neither my lappy or workstation screen are. the lappy screen is reasonablyish good (by eye, next to a calibrated screen), but on the monitors at work both yours and mind look horrible: yours uber yellow and mine almost grey. None of that says anything ofc.

I'll see if I can borrow my mate's spyder and give the old dell a tuneup.

TdC

hmm you're quite right. I must say, on the lappy screen it's quite difficult to judge, but I faffed about with the colour sliders for a bit and redeveloped. Now when I look at the images side by side it's very apparent. Cheers for that guys :D

PA210055_less_blue.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom