This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News For camera nerds only

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by Big G, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Big G

Big G Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

2. Clown

Clown Part of the furniture

3. Big G

You should know that's how FH rolls :), so much gr8ness. I missed your posts because I switched off in that thread.

The Mk3 has been rumoured for a while now, the link I posted goes against all the feelings that we won't see a Mk3 until 2012, but given that this defacto announcement has "EOS" in the title, it's the most compelling evidence yet.

4. caLLous

caLLous FH is my second home FH Subscriber

But but there is going to be a new video camera that will carry the EOS brand, *apparently*.

5. Big G

Yeah that's very true; could it be the "video specific" 5D? There's some chatter about them splitting the DSLR line into a more video orientated line and a stills line.

6. caLLous

I read it as a pure video camera that takes EF lenses. :(

7. Big G

I guess we shall need to wait and see!

8. caLLous

9. Big G

That lens looks daaaaaymn sweet, possibly a bit large to carry around unless you're on a serious wildlife / sports mish. Mind you, they've got it equally covered with the compact weather sealed 70-300mm L which I am very tempted to get.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM Lens Review

That canon 200-400mm reminds me of my Sigma 100-300mm I had for my Pentax system. Superb lens with a very practicle focal length, but a touch on the heavy side.

10. Tom

Tom FH is my second home

My camera nerd wallet has been emptied for a new road bike. I can't decide between a Renovo wooden frame, or some kind of recumbent.

11. caLLous

I have the 70-200 f2.8 IS USM (the first one, not the v2) and it makes me sob quietly when I think about how much of the goodness of the lens I am throwing away not only by using it on a crop sensor but by then putting a 1.4x extender on it as well. A 200-400 f4 on a full frame sensor would be sexual in comparison.

12. Wazzerphuk

Wazzerphuk FH is my second home

It's going to cost the earth, isn't it? :(

13. caLLous

Most likely. :D

Depending on what they do with regards splitting the line into pro video and just stills, the just stills one will be at least £2k probably much more on launch and the 200-400 f4 will be... like... I have no idea :( Nikon's 200-400 f4 is £5k (on Warehouse Express, probably less at DigitalRev or some such), Canon's will be more because it's their first entry in this range and it has the built-in extender. And it's lovely.

14. Big G

I can't see it retailing for less than £2000 given the 5D Mk2 was £1600 for some time

15. caLLous

[​IMG]
    Seeeeeee how much EF lens goodness you throw away when you put it on a crop sensor (blue) and then an 1.4x extender (red) compared to ff loveliness (green). :(

On the crop and with the 1.4x extender the 70-200 f2.8 becomes equivalent to a 156ish-448 f4 on full-frame. If you put a 200-400 f4 on a fullframe you get all of that lovely big green bit at 400mm at f4 and not just some titchy bit in the centre of the front element. I had a point when I started thinking about this but basically, I want to go full frame!

Yes, I was bored. :(

16. Wazzerphuk

I'll be getting some inheritance money at some point, don't know if I can justify that expense for something I do relatively infrequently.

17. milou

milou Part of the furniture

Restart the economy by buying digital medium format.

18. Wazzerphuk

Medium format would be amazing. Soul destroyingly expensive, but amazing.

19. Big G

20. Wazzerphuk

21. caLLous

Currently the um... "most economical"... way into medium format. :)

22. Deebs

Deebs Chief Arsewipe Staff member Moderator FH Subscriber

Just ordered a new tripod and head, don't ask me how but I seem to have lost my old tripod :(

23. ECA

ECA FH is my second home

I bet you just had problems getting it up.

Badum tish.

Exits stage right.

24. Deebs

Deebs Chief Arsewipe Staff member Moderator FH Subscriber

Here is your coat...

25. Clown

[​IMG]

Is it wrong that I walk around constantly wondering what camera settings I would use in each situation?

• Like Like x 1
  26. caLLous

I do the same. Especially with water and scenes with movement.

27. Big G

Lol I thought it was just me :D.

"oh there's a nice lead in"

"that'll look good with bokeh behind it"

28. Clown

How many London nerds do we have here? I'm trying to arrange some sort of random walk around. I'm always wandering about anyway, thought I might as well do it with other geeks.

You're welcome to tag along if you want, when I decide on a date.

29. TdC

TdC Trem's hunky sex love muffin Staff member Moderator

I came >< that close to buying a new camera today because of YOU PEOPLE. The one I have in mind is a Lumix G2. it's a micro 3/4 chip. Someone tell me why I shouldn't?

30. caLLous

Because the G3 is out and you're just not the kinda guy that buys old tech. :)

And it's micro 4/3 not 3/4. NOOB.