Fire or Ice, some opinions would be nice plz

M

Merl

I am currently an Ice wizy but have been getting rather bored of it recently and was thinking about respecing to fire.

Would just like some opinions as to what u think of fire spec compared to ice i.e. are bolts any good now and what sort of dmg does the spec DD hit for. Some feed back from fire wizys would be great, but i would apreciate anyones input really. I dont want to go gimping myself ;)

R

Recundis

I was ice for 4 level's (1-4) didnt like it so speced fire at lvl 5 and im still fire :)

A

adari

Originally posted by Recundis
I was ice for 4 level's (1-4) didnt like it so speced fire at lvl 5 and im still fire :)

lol

J

Jiggs

i'd wait to see what the resist changes are in the next patch before deciding.

K

K0nah

bolts work nicely in this patch (and the 2.5s cast time really makes a BIG difference to thier usefulness)

being able to 1-2shot a chanter from range in the middle of a chanter cell just rocks :D

enjoying my fire wiz more than ever in rvr atm i must say.

respec stones easy enuf to get hold of and getting easier now the dragon will be getting farmed every day of the week soon... so give it a go

:flame:

K

kirennia

fire wizards are unfortunately gimped atm...

FIRE WIZARD:

219DD
Bolt which half and half works, when it does it's good but doesnt too often
an ae which is poo
single target root

BODY SORC:

209DD
30sec ae mezz
amnesia
lvl 3 pom
50% fire/ice/matter debuff
lvl 45+ pet
a single target root
+ a lot more stuff

There are many more casters that do similarly better things, thing is unfortunately, either you spec ice wizard for pbaoe, earth wizard for keep defences or dont roll a wizard :/

G

ghaladriel

If you gonna play RvR go Fire,if gonna do the stupid(PvE,roleplayer take/defence keeps) go Ice or Earth :p

K

K0nah

Originally posted by kirennia
fire wizards are unfortunately gimped atm...

can a sorc oneshot a freshly 100% rezzed chanter from bolt range?

no, i didnt think so.

bolts really dont miss that much now, maybe u should try them.

K

Khalen

I can remember the stupid error message saying target is in combat or something and therefore bolt did 0 damage. But they fixed that now I hope... (took em long)

C

[CT]Specialbrew

Simple...

People only play icewizards to get in PvE grps really...as you know when lvling all you get is "save last spot for cleric/friar/pallie or ICE wizzy"

For RvR fire wizz is the best without a doubt, need someone to knock out those damn chanters and theor manabombs grrrrrrrr

/em wants to cut all chanters hands off and then larf at em cos they are now nerfed...

O

old.Ramas

Judging from Cerdin's pwnage of late, if you really want to nuke go spirit/body cabalist imo.

(after debuff it seems you do over 400 on a 2.5s delve spell, plus ruby pet can assist for 100 or so)

Just a shame alb is the only realm without someone able to debuff their own damage on a lvl 50 DD.

Though resistance rework may change the value of all this.

Bolts are also nice though.

M

Merl

Thx chaps u been loads of help ;)

Fire spec this evening then!

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Khalen
I can remember the stupid error message saying target is in combat or something and therefore bolt did 0 damage. But they fixed that now I hope... (took em long)

you still get them, but only when they're actually in combat these days ;)

also if there's only one other person attacking them the first bolt seems to land anyway...

W

-Wedge-

Re: Simple...

There's one big difference between Ice Wizard and Fire Wizard... And basicly its the game play...

I've been Fire Wizard for the first 5 RR's, and I've been Ice Wizard for the last 2.8RR's...

The main difference is with Ice vs Fire, is the main damage spell from Ice is very situational, if you want to use PBAoE as offensive weapon, you need 3 Ice Wizards... While if you want to use Fire offensive, well you can pretty much do that on your own...

Fire Wizards are caster killers, bolt, bolt, dd... Is 1 dead caster (heck, some dont even survive the 2 bolts)...

Ice just doesnt have that...

But, Ice has the potential of killing 5-6 Tanks in one PBAoE session... So damage potential is much higher...

In the end, it depends a bit on your play style, if you often run in a group with perfect mezzes, a fire wizard is pretty nice... If you run a lot in groups where 'things go wrong' and you end up with 3-4 tanks on your clerics... Then Ice is nice ;)

I've personally never seen Ice-spec work for albs as offensive tactic, except against noob groups... As you need a perfect mez for it to work offensively...

I've thought about going back to fire, but... I'm pretty much bored with my caster and mostly play my merc ;)

I

iluvatur

not sure what body spec sorc you looking at there kirennia

best body spec imo ( unless grouped with a full mind sorc 100% of the time)

is 46 body 28 mind

gives

209 DD
45 sec aoe mezz
1 min aoe root
amnesia
40 max pet
1st mezz buff ( i think )
ice/fire 50% debuffs
pom 3

best nuker in the realm IMO ( apart from spirit cabas for pure dd'age, but still doesnt compare to the cc/utility )

I

iluvatur

anyways i think magmatic pretty much summed up the wizzies :eek:

S

syri

Originally posted by Recundis
:lol:
i've been levelling my wiz fire spec, going ice for grouping at 40, but the moment i get 50 i wanna go fire again
the quicker bolt cast's nice, and seem to hit a lot more often now. so glad they fixed the combat issues :)

J

Jaxal

well, after seeing Evelina in action in this patch, i can tell u....bolts do badass damage :D

H

Herbal Remedy

Originally posted by Merl
Fire or Ice

thrust merc or det tank wizz is kinda useless in roaming rvr det tanks much more prefered these days

M

marchegiani

Judging by the fun we had at beno last night Merl, i bet your glad u respecced to Fire.

Q

qyrf

ahem fire or ice ?!?

why not try earth ? more spells! more usefull spells
a spell line that is based on matter resist, tell me how many that runs with max matter ?

and yes the aoe dd with snare do less dam if you compare it to the aoe dd in fire, but it has snare, then there is dot and the aoe root, not to mention the bolt, and then again the dam shield
and to top the list the most needed spell when you siege a keep gtaoe! we lost several times on beno simply because no wizz had lousy 18 in earth so they could gtaoe innerdoor so the ram user had a chance to ram the door, without getting killed by pbaoe,
and yes all you whiners it has a 6sec timer, but get 2 to gtaoe door and it's only a 3sec timer!

B

Belomar

I'll ignore most of your statements except for the following one:
Originally posted by qyrf
we lost several times on beno simply because no wizz had lousy 18 in earth so they could gtaoe innerdoor so the ram user had a chance to ram the door, without getting killed by pbaoe
Any AoE spell can be used on a hostile door to suppress PBAErs. The time when GTAoE is the most useful is when you need to charge the lord room where the GTAoE is a most excellent tool for keeping enemy casters and healers interrupted.

Also, if your ram users are killed by PBAE from inside the keep, then please get a clue. You can stand up to one ram's length behind the ram and still be able to control it.

M

Merl

Originally posted by marchegiani
Judging by the fun we had at beno last night Merl, i bet your glad u respecced to Fire.

hehe definitely, bolts r very very nice now, can easily 2 shot most casters and the damage is still nice against most tanks, with high dex the bolts easily fire at capped cast time so the second bolt has been cast before the first one has even hit. The DD suffers from resists but then most caster DD's do, so no change there. But i am definitely having more fun now. Thx for everyone’s advice. C u in frontier :)

M

Merl

Originally posted by qyrf
ahem fire or ice ?!?

why not try earth ? more spells! more usefull spells
a spell line that is based on matter resist, tell me how many that runs with max matter ?

and yes the aoe dd with snare do less dam if you compare it to the aoe dd in fire, but it has snare, then there is dot and the aoe root, not to mention the bolt, and then again the dam shield
and to top the list the most needed spell when you siege a keep gtaoe! we lost several times on beno simply because no wizz had lousy 18 in earth so they could gtaoe innerdoor so the ram user had a chance to ram the door, without getting killed by pbaoe,
and yes all you whiners it has a 6sec timer, but get 2 to gtaoe door and it's only a 3sec timer!

For your information i was Earth spec from 40-50 and up to about RR3 at which point i realised that this was a gimped spec, with only had 1 or 2 usefull spells which imo were AOE root and GTAOE, everything else did to little damage. Having to rely on a baseline DD shows that this spec is definetly not complete ( also at the time bolts were still gimped) Therrik the wizy team lead from what i can understand has also stated that spell focus on staff etc only works for spec line spells or up to the lvl of spec for that line (i think but could be wrong) meaning the power use on the baseline DD is just stupid. I would not even consider specing earth until they got a spec DD, until then the spec is somewhat limited.

Oh and the reason we lost at beno last night was not to due no one having GTAOE, it was due to the fact that there was allmost as many hibs defending as there were albs trying to take it back, and the keep was lvl 10. Oh and also what Belomar said ;)

Users who are viewing this thread